House Price Crash Forum

Part-Time Jobs - Hiding The True Level Of Unemployment In The Uk

Saberu

HOLA441

And there's the problem, right there.

Part-time on a secure payroll may be what you would choose, but it's not what employers want to give you. They want either people who will work full-time, and that means any overtime at any notice the employer cares to name, or part-time, preferably flexible and ideally zero hours, meaning of course that you can't make plans for those hours the employer doesn't want you to work. Plus employers don't want to give you security - they want employees they can fire at the drop of a hat.

I disagree, small and medium businesses can use the skills of an accountant or an engineering manager for a fixed no. of hours per week on an on-going basis. They may not have the work to employ that person full time, and the professional fees for a firm are prohibitive. However, usually the professional will want to hang up a shingle and to charge professional fees.

I think working patterns, and the social status of being in a profession will change dramatically in the next decade.

However this presupposes that the worker has a definite skillset to offer. The unskilled will remain fodder for the retailers.

Edited by John The Pessimist

HOLA442

And there's the problem, right there.

Part-time on a secure payroll may be what you would choose, but it's not what employers want to give you. They want either people who will work full-time, and that means any overtime at any notice the employer cares to name, or part-time, preferably flexible and ideally zero hours, meaning of course that you can't make plans for those hours the employer doesn't want you to work. Plus employers don't want to give you security - they want employees they can fire at the drop of a hat.

Well I've got a contract for my p-t hours, haven't been sacked since I started 4 years ago! I've done some overtime but I only do it if it suits me.

Certainly it's now the case that even these jobs are becoming harder to find.

Seems we're going Japanese with contracted workers (old gits) being supported by young gits (haken, arubito, freeta) with all the security of day labourers.

Edited by council dweller

HOLA443

they want employees they can fire at the drop of a hat.

It is one of the reasons wh they don;t want to train anybody, can't go to the trouble giving young staff externally recognisable skillsets - they might bugger off to a better job. No problem with the visa-bonded staff though - they have to go through the hoops to get another job and another visa.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Tax credits, at least the working tax credits are not that great a perk for part timers.

For part time you need to both be a couple 16 hours a week, or be disabled. 12.5k total household income will net around £42 a week, 24k will gain you nadda. Trying to live in modern society on £879 between two just to get £42 a week tax back is no picnic.

Edited by pathfinder

HOLA446

Tax credits, at least the working tax credits are not that great a perk for part timers.

For part time you need to both be a couple 16 hours a week, or be disabled. 12.5k total household income will net around £42 a week, 24k will gain you nadda. Trying to live in modern society on £879 between two just to get £42 a week tax back is no picnic.

Looks like for better or worse this will change. Universal Credit and all that....

Who's living in 'a modern society' anyway, I'm living in 1953......you and your colour televisions.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410