House Price Crash Forum

Pushed It Too Hard Restarting Weight Training

pl1

HOLA441

I would but I travel about with work too much atm to make it worth my while hence I have to use daily rates. Not normaly at home during 'tweek. I had another thread about mobile gyms/gyms on the move recently. The advice there was fold-flat weights bench and some dumbells or

Gymgroup

Somthing like that looks good but I'm not in any of the areas and my experience of gyms which cost less tend to be cramped to busting at peak hours.

Pain subdued even further now from just a few hours ago, so I'm best pleased at this outcome. If you don't follow the advice in this thread when returning to weights, you will be in for about 7 day's of pain 3-4 of which will be very severe.

Tbh I don't think it's just weights, the worst DOMS I've had in the last couple of years were after playing 5-a-side football. Weights might be one of the worst for it though due to their propensity to produce hypertrophy. I think it's just something you need to go through when starting up new exercise - personally I appreciate the DOMS as it shows you've had a good workout! After a while you tend to be able to differentiate between pain that signifies injury and pain that is due to the DOMS.

• 4 months later...
HOLA442

Started weight training on Tuesday, clearly pushed it too hard, now top of my forearm very tender and cannot extend it fully backwards. I'm guessing tendonitis? Still sore 2 days later. Any idea how long this injury lasts & how serious it is?

edit: Is Deep Heat any good (not the film, the creme)?

Ahhh! That's when I started. Was wondering this today. It's good to have HPC as your own diary. Well 5 months on I've still stuck with it. I haven't weighed myself recently but have easily put on two stone. I keep to one fairly heavy set and have noticed an improvement in no pain (easpecially from my back) which I noticed a few years ago. In doing this I have noticed no reduction in hypertrophy. Overall I'm very pleased with my results. The only downside was the original delayed onset soreness which really did hurt.

I went the home weights route in the end, which has saved me an absolute fortune this last five months, the weight set I bought was just as good as anything in any gym, can do all the excercises I want with them. Didn't get a weight bench either but use a chair with a long seat and worked out various other methods and techniques for training alone.

HOLA443

I reckon if your gym has a bar! Walk there, have a pint, and walk home again!

Probably does more good than extreme weight training! :huh:

HOLA444

snap. i think i've hurt myself a bit too. i've laid off the training for over a month now and it still hasn't gone away. symptoms: shooting pains up my forearms when doing pull-ups, slight ache in my right front delt doing front raises (even with no weight) and right shoulder niggles generally. i'm suspecting tendonitis in the forearms, which could also plausibly be RSI from the way i work compounded by being aged 50+. all a bit depressing.

http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1572243759

And: http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php

Also, something unfit people with plans to get fit quick need to be aware of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhabdomyolysis

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I don't see the point in weights for legs - in particular.

Do a lot of cycling and running and you will have better shaped legs than most who do weights on them. Legs are easy to build up and to get real strong definition in them.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I run about 20k a week. That does for me. But yes, I do have a disprortionate body. That's why jeans were invented.

I assume you don't do any hill or interval training within that ?

Gradually add it in. Very slowly mind as it is a sure way to injury if you push it too fast. Very soon your legs will build up like you would not believe. Calves and thighs like rock !!

Now if you are already doing this - then I don't know what to say. :lol:

HOLA4411

I do 2 runs of 5k. My best so far is 24.14. It's not Olympic, but it's not bad at all and I'm quite proud of that. I think I could do 23mins if I pushed myself.

Then I do 2 runs of 5k with alternates between 500 metres at jog sopeed of 10kmph and then up to 15 for the alternate.

I have actually grown to like cardio work. Until recently, I did weights 5 times a week with maybe an odd jog here and there.

Nice one. I assume you do this on a machine ? Try doing some trails and splashing through the mud if you want something different. For some strange reason it is rather enjoyable !!

I wonder what sort of legs dave davies has....:D

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I've been doing about 12k a day on my cross trainer for months...

But have just started doing some other stuff including using dumbbells - abdominal crunches are a killer though!

I'd rather shave my a*** with a broken bottle.

I will never understand this obsession with cardio, I mean unless it's a pre-requisite for your career (unlikely) or survival (even more unlikely) then it is just unnecessary. I lift heavy 3 times a week for 30-45 mins and I'm in the best shape of my life. I admit to being biased because I can't stand conventional cardio, running on a tredmill has just got to me one of the most mind numbing soul destroying experiences ever.

Can I ask why you've introduced resistance training? Is it because the results have stalled with the cardio? If so you're on the right path.

HOLA4414

I will never understand this obsession with cardio, I mean unless it's a pre-requisite for your career (unlikely) or survival (even more unlikely) then it is just unnecessary. I lift heavy 3 times a week for 30-45 mins and I'm in the best shape of my life. I admit to being biased because I can't stand conventional cardio, running on a tredmill has just got to me one of the most mind numbing soul destroying experiences ever.

Can I ask why you've introduced resistance training? Is it because the results have stalled with the cardio? If so you're on the right path.

Well that is your choice. However I doubt very much internally you are in the best shape of your life. We are built to push ourselves physically. That is why most who do look a decent body shape and many that do not look like some sort of whale (Not talking about you specifically).

No wonder you find running on a running machine boring - it is !!

I personally use what is available for free and also happens to be great to look at. This is a view I get from one one my favourite runs in Edinburgh. Please don't try and tell me this is 'boring' compared to standing in your bedroom/gym for 45 minutes lifting a bit of metal up and down. :D

I personally cannot stand weight training. However I can see why people do it. They are exercising their muscles in the way they are designed for. Because due to our lazy lifetstyles everything is too easy for us. I appreciate that. However because it bores me I get my muscles exercised by running, swimming and cycling instead. Whilst you are doing the right thing by keeping your muscles in shape, you are ignoring your heart/lungs etc.. Unless you are fortunate it will probably catch up with you.

Be smart - do both. Both are necessary to look and feel good. If that is what you want. And for 99.9% of people it is.

0_around_edinburgh_-_view_to_edinburgh_from_corstorphine_hill_027183.jpg

HOLA4415

Nothing wrong with that, but you won't be getting your heart rate up to 150+ by doing weights alone. You need to work that muscle.

I'm ok with the 80ish I get sitting on my backside at work :D

Well that is your choice. However I doubt very much internally you are in the best shape of your life. We are built to push ourselves physically. That is why most who do look a decent body shape and many that do not look like some sort of whale (Not talking about you specifically).

Maybe you're right but I'm normal in terms of body fat, blood pressure and general health. I think you understate the effects of weight training like I understate the effects of a good cardio program, I guess it comes down to what floats your boat or what your specific goals are.

No wonder you find running on a running machine boring - it is !!

I personally use what is available for free and also happens to be great to look at. This is a view I get from one one my favourite runs in Edinburgh. Please don't try and tell me this is 'boring' compared to standing in your bedroom/gym for 45 minutes lifting a bit of metal up and down. :D

Still p***ses it down 350 days a year though doesn't it? :P

I personally cannot stand weight training. However I can see why people do it. They are exercising their muscles in the way they are designed for. Because due to our lazy lifetstyles everything is too easy for us. I appreciate that. However because it bores me I get my muscles exercised by running, swimming and cycling instead. Whilst you are doing the right thing by keeping your muscles in shape, you are ignoring your heart/lungs etc.. Unless you are fortunate it will probably catch up with you.

There is no way you are neglecting your heart and lungs by just doing weight training, if you were really paranoid you could lift light weights and do plenty of reps/sets. I think were on the same page though, just arguing over methods which is a personal preference.

HOLA4416

I'm ok with the 80ish I get sitting on my backside at work :D

Maybe you're right but I'm normal in terms of body fat, blood pressure and general health. I think you understate the effects of weight training like I understate the effects of a good cardio program, I guess it comes down to what floats your boat or what your specific goals are.

Still p***ses it down 350 days a year though doesn't it? :P

There is no way you are neglecting your heart and lungs by just doing weight training, if you were really paranoid you could lift light weights and do plenty of reps/sets. I think were on the same page though, just arguing over methods which is a personal preference.

Mmmm. I see what you are saying, however I am pretty certain that weight training does not even come close to exercising your hearts as mich as a hard bike ride/cycle swim or whatever.

Maybe I am wrong. I may have a look online. I have done wieghts before when I was much younger. I know people who do them. Whilst I agree they do get your lungs going and your heart pumping - I just can't accept they do as much as other exercises.

Running, cycling and swimming are weight training and serious cardio all in one. Makes sense to me :)

And I love running in the rain !!

HOLA4417

I was told that regular exercise would lower my blood pressure and it has.

I quite enjoy spending the time listening to the radio and thinking tbh it's a relaxing exercise - you just do it, no concentration on it at all.. mind can whirl all over the place coming up with ideas for work.

The change is on advice of a friend - like you say results have stalled at the moment and I quite fancy getting properly toned. :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

You're a Jock. You have no choice.

Indeed !! Although Edinburgh is luckily quite a dry place. I probably take my jacket to work due to the rain 2-3 times a month if that.

I want to go swimming a couple of times a week but I have to leave the house for that and it's COLD!

Its not that cold. I still am not anywhere near the jacket stage and I live in Jockland !!

Walk to the pool is a great way to warm up. And the walk back will feel pleasant as you will be piping hot after a serious workout.

HOLA4420

I was told that regular exercise would lower my blood pressure and it has.

I quite enjoy spending the time listening to the radio and thinking tbh it's a relaxing exercise - you just do it, no concentration on it at all.. mind can whirl all over the place coming up with ideas for work.

The change is on advice of a friend - like you say results have stalled at the moment and I quite fancy getting properly toned. :)

You mean build muscle? ;)

Good point about the monotony of running being useful in some circumstances. I find though after 2 sessions of thinking about work and stuff it gets old very quickly.

HOLA4421

Its not that cold. I still am not anywhere near the jacket stage and I live in Jockland !!

Walk to the pool is a great way to warm up. And the walk back will feel pleasant as you will be piping hot after a serious workout.

I have reynaulds so feel the cold badly. THAT and it's been frosty ffs!.. I'm almost at the needing two pairs of socks indoors stage :)

And the walk back will be fine ...

HOLA4422

You mean build muscle? ;)

Good point about the monotony of running being useful in some circumstances. I find though after 2 sessions of thinking about work and stuff it gets old very quickly.

Yeah but not in a bad way like those weird women who overdo it. :)

Really? Some days I do really enjoy what's on the radio - and some days it's just a blur. :)

Archived