House Price Crash Forum

Dirty Dog

Bob Loblaw

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7847571/Is-a-religious-bus-ban-on-my-dog-right.html

On two occasions last week my dog was barred from London buses, not because she's particularly fierce or big, but on religious grounds. A friend and I had taken her to the park, and as I went across to the grocer, my friend took Daisy, a Manchester terrier, to the bus stop.

As they tried to board the bus, the driver stopped her and told her that there was a Muslim lady on the bus who "might be upset by the dog". As she attempted to remonstrate, the doors closed and the bus drew away.

When a second bus arrived, she again made to embark, but was stopped again – this time because the driver said he was Muslim. I know that Muslims consider dogs to be unclean, but last time I looked this wasn't a Muslim country and London Transport was a non-denominational organisation.

I'm a Catholic, but I'm hardly likely to start insisting that no divorced people should be allowed on my bus. I have no intention of causing upset with my dog and I wouldn't allow her to brush against anyone who was at pains to avoid her. None the less, I instinctively cavil at this creeping intolerance, masquerading as pious devotion, whatever its origins.

None are so blind as those who will not see

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Buy a car. Apparently having a dog creates as much pollution as one anyway. Im no moslem but i wouldnt want a dog near me on a bus either. At least the cripples and their hounds are segregated on a seat at the front of the bus.

How utterly charming

The name 'Sadman' is very fitting

HOLA448
HOLA449

What are the actual rules / legislation? Can I bring a goat on a London bus if I wanted to?

In theory it;s up to the operator, there is a byelaw for TFL carriage of animals

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/5004.aspx

12. Control of animals

(1) The Operator or an authorised person may refuse carriage or entry to any

animal which, in their reasonable opinion, may threaten, annoy, soil or

damage any person or property on the premises. No person shall bring an

animal on any part of the premises to which it has been refused access

pursuant to this Byelaw 12(1).

(2) No person in charge of an animal shall allow it to foul or damage any property,

vehicle or other part of the premises.

(3) No person in charge of an animal shall leave or place it unattended on any

part of the premises, except:

(i) with the permission of the Operator or an authorised person; or

(ii) in a place provided for that purpose by the Operator and only for as

long as is absolutely necessary and in accordance with any direction of

the Operator or an authorised person.

(4) If a person in charge of an animal breaches any of Byelaws 12(1) to 12(3),

then that person:

(i) may be asked by an authorised person to remove that animal, and if he

fails to do so immediately, then that animal may be removed by or

under the direction of an authorised person;

(ii) shall be liable to the Operator for the cost incurred by or on behalf of

the Operator in removing and keeping it; and

(iii) shall be liable to the Operator for the cost of putting any property soiled

or damaged back into its proper condition.

(5) Any person in charge of an animal shall carry it when on a moving escalator

on the premises, unless that animal is a trained assistance dog or police dog.

(6) Any liability to the Operator under Byelaw 12(5) is in addition to any penalty

for the breach of Byelaw 12.

As they tried to board the bus, the driver stopped her and told her that there was a Muslim lady on the bus who "might be upset by the dog". As she attempted to remonstrate, the doors closed and the bus drew away.

If he had a reasonable opinion that she would be upset then it's ok to refuse to allow any animal on board.

HOLA4410

Archived