HOLA441
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

So you plan to tax a person in the area they work, not where they live? :lol:

I've never driven on the M180 and I don't use the M25 that much, where do I apply for a discount on my road tax and fuel duty? The fact I never, or seldom, use these roads must substantially reduce their running and initial construction costs.

Perhaps we should run road tax the way you like to run services. Where people who dont even own a car do pay it, as they get the benefit of there being roads.

HOLA443

Perhaps we should run road tax the way you like to run services. Where people who dont even own a car do pay it, as they get the benefit of there being roads.

Presently, nobody pays non-drivers for access to the road. If they did (say the roads were owned by a non driver), then this person should pay to provide them

HOLA444

That's a good point. All these road tax dodgers, who are getting their food etc delivered by road aren't paying a penny in road tax. It's got to stop!

HOLA445

But the cinema still made a profit.

If you buy up ten seats at the cinema and then sublet temporary access to the service to another, the cinema owner wont approach the person sitting in the seat for another payment -

The problem is the owners of real estate are legally allowed to occupy access to government services and sell on that access without paying to provide the services they are selling

HOLA446
HOLA447

That's a good point. All these road tax dodgers, who are getting their food etc delivered by road aren't paying a penny in road tax. It's got to stop!

Obviously, they are already paying for road usage in the price / cost of food.

HOLA448

It sounds unlikely if you just include "empty" homes.

Second homes and "holiday rentals" probably aren't included in that 1 million, so in fact if you add all those in, it could be possible.

I very much hope the holiday rental property scandal is dealt with! Tax payers funding other peoples holiday homes by owners simply having a tax relief to pay for losses of mortgage cost against rent received is a disgrace and has skewed the property market.

HOLA449

Nobody pays 'road tax'. There has been no such thing as 'road tax' since 1937. Car drivers pay 'vehicle excise duty', which does NOT go towards roads.

HOLA4410

Obviously, they are already paying for road usage in the price / cost of food.

So are you saying all the people I deal with on a day to day basis, don't pay council tax, and all the wages I indirectly pay via the services they provide don't include any cost for waste disposal or street lighting?

If so I feel ripped off.

HOLA4411

So are you saying all the people I deal with on a day to day basis, don't pay council tax, and all the wages I indirectly pay via the services they provide don't include any cost for waste disposal or street lighting?

If so I feel ripped off.

Yes they do. However, if you own the region in which the lighting etc exist, it is you they are paying that cost to

Edited by Stars

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest sillybear2

But the cinema still made a profit.

The cinema either made a smaller profit due to the opportunity cost or they made the same profit by over-charging everyone else.

HOLA4414

Do me a favour. How is that possible? How can a house that is only used infrequently utilise the same amout of services as one that contains a family of 4 or 5..

Bin only costs £100 a year to empty. That's about all most people use.

An empty house is more likely to be burgled. That's why insurance is only valid for 30 days normally and you need special empty property insurance.

HOLA4415
Guest sillybear2

Or maybe we could use your system, where second and third cars enjoy a 50% discount on the VED and fuel duty.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Bin only costs £100 a year to empty. That's about all most people use.

An empty house is more likely to be burgled. That's why insurance is only valid for 30 days normally and you need special empty property insurance.

Bins'a are irrelevent.

By far the largest costs (usually well in excess of 50% of spending) that fall on LAs, is education and welfare costs.

A person with two houses only gets to use these from one LA, why should they have to contribute to two?

tim

HOLA4419

Bins'a are irrelevent.

By far the largest costs (usually well in excess of 50% of spending) that fall on LAs, is education and welfare costs.

A person with two houses only gets to use these from one LA, why should they have to contribute to two?

tim

Because an empty house is inflicting extra costs on the other members of the community, e.g. kids have to walk further to school because all the homes close in to the village centre have been bought by Londoners?

I have absolutely no figures to back up my hunch, but I'd be ready to bet that this is the biggest cost.

HOLA4420

Because an empty house is inflicting extra costs on the other members of the community, e.g. kids have to walk further to school because all the homes close in to the village centre have been bought by Londoners?

I have absolutely no figures to back up my hunch, but I'd be ready to bet that this is the biggest cost.

to be honest most of the costs paid out of council tax are kind of semi-fixed, semi-variable with respect to the number of year-round inhabitants, meaning that paying half is probably just about right from a cost causation point of view...

but just personally my gut feel is that, for a community to feel that second home owners are making a proper, positive, year-round contribution to a community as a whole rather than to a few niche businesses such as posh restaurants, gardeners, cleaners, and so on, paying full whack would be more appropriate.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422