House Price Crash Forum

Permission To Come Aboard, Missus?

Guest Noodle

HOLA441
Guest Noodle

Not that just because it's on the Beeb makes one teaspoon of difference.

Messing about?

I fancy one of these in the UK. Ideal for me, as I move about between sites like dirty pikey and somehow I feel is more secure (from traffic wardens) than a motorhome.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Not that just because it's on the Beeb makes one teaspoon of difference.

Messing about?

I fancy one of these in the UK. Ideal for me, as I move about between sites like dirty pikey and somehow I feel is more secure (from traffic wardens) than a motorhome.

The second happiest day of your life is when you buy a boat.

The actual happiest day of your life is when you sell it to someone else.

Seriously though its an option. You want a steel hull with a lot of insulation. And a pleasant mooring. Has to come out of the water every 3 years for a check up.

Marine engineers report on hull condition is advisable.

HOLA444
Guest Noodle

That's a goose not a duck. If the BBC journo's can't tell the difference it hardly inspires confidence in what they say...

Do you think perhaps their goose is cooked?

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

The second happiest day of your life is when you buy a boat.

The actual happiest day of your life is when you sell it to someone else.

Seriously though its an option. You want a steel hull with a lot of insulation. And a pleasant mooring. Has to come out of the water every 3 years for a check up.

Marine engineers report on hull condition is advisable.

The old chap once said, "It's like standing on a dock ripping up tenners".

For the happy newly divorced pikey mobile like chap like me, I think it's ideal. Now with mobile telecoms including internet and wotnot it really is an option.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Noodle

If it was cheap then maybe but they quote 60-100k for costs. Flipping heck.

I looked into this recently. Running costs total were less than £3000 a year. That included £500 a year for 'blacking the hull'.

This is the BBC mind where everything has several noughts added to the end, like final salary pension schemes.

HOLA448

No good. Far too restrictive; OH says there is always something ultra expensive about to go wrong (he's been there); you can't pop into Waitrose the way you can in a big panel van....which is the way to do it; big panel van converted to a camper, no extra windows. We did it for years. Saved a fortune. Can be done for peanuts. Be discreet.

Parry? - Discreet? - Is this possible? :unsure::rolleyes::ph34r:

Edited by Laura

HOLA449
Guest Noodle

No good. Far too restrictive; OH says there is always something ultra expensive about to go wrong (he's been there); you can't pop into Waitrose the way you can in a big panel van....which is the way to do it; big panel van converted to a camper, no extra windows. We did it for years. Saved a fortune. Can be done for peanuts. Be discreet.

Parry? - Discreet? - Is this possible? :unsure::rolleyes::ph34r:

But I want pot plants (not cannibis ones) and they just don't look right adorning a Luton van.

Agree, this could be a nightmare and would most likely end up dry docked in a mates back garden. Which . . . hmmmmm . . . .

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest Noodle

My cousin had one of these on the Thames for a while. Ended up with all sorts of lung problems and mouldy stuff due to damp and pollution.

Has sold up, rented a house and now much happier.

I would avoid Grade 'E' rivers/canals, these are the dirty ones.

I live in pesticide and dust coated rural Thailand and work on pesticide/oil/asbestos/cyanide/heavy metal coated contaminated sites, smoke a pack a day . . . soooo . . . this would likely be an improvement.

But for all you health conscious folks concerned with chronic exposure to substances hazardous to health, yes a house, have the house.

HOLA4412

But I want pot plants (not cannibis ones) and they just don't look right adorning a Luton van.

Agree, this could be a nightmare and would most likely end up dry docked in a mates back garden. Which . . . hmmmmm . . . .

My eBay master has found this for you.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Iveco-Daily-LWB-Campervan-Unfinished-Project-/260620142527?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item3cae2bc7bf

He doubts it will make its £2000 reserve as good completed ones don't sell for much more.

The great one says the Iveco is a tough easy to drive misunderstood (I haven't asked) truck that is amazing on fuel.

He also asks how tall you are?!!

Wise man say:- Always live on someone else's boat

HOLA4413
Guest Noodle

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Iveco-Daily-LWB-Campervan-Unfinished-Project-/260620142527?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item3cae2bc7bf

He doubts it will make its £2000 reserve as good completed ones don't sell for much more.

The great one says the Iveco is a tough easy to drive misunderstood (I haven't asked) truck that is amazing on fuel.

6 ft.

Internets bad here today, won't open the link, but I will try later. Thanks Laura.

HOLA4414
Guest Noodle

Hey Laura, got it now, that's perfect for site. I can cook stuff and everything.

HOLA4415

6 ft.

Roof not quite high enough. You need the Iveco Daily van that is 22ft something long.

That is if you want to stand tall inside the thing? - I don't suppose the chickens will mind whether you are strangling them sitting or standing.

I was hoping you might still be in Thailand when we make our state visit early 2011. Is it only your feet that are itchy? ;):ph34r:

HOLA4416
Guest Noodle

Roof not quite high enough. You need the Iveco Daily van that is 22ft something long.

That is if you want to stand tall inside the thing? - I don't suppose the chickens will mind whether you are strangling them sitting or standing.

I was hoping you might still be in Thailand when we make our state visit early 2011. Is it only your feet that are itchy? ;):ph34r:

Shall more than likely be here Laura, do come and stay. Is lovely here.

Live in Hope just paid a visit.

HOLA4417

I got as far as getting a boat surveyed with the idea of living at a local marina a few years ago when I was living in shared accommodation,waiting for a HA flat and paying massively to the CSA.

It would have worked fine for just me,and kids at the weekend, but with the following proviso's:

1.in the winter it would have been damp, muddy and potentially quite miserable, so the electric heating would have been quite high

2. Few places allow you to be a permanent resident, though you can come and go as you please. I would have had to use another address for post.

3. But you don't pay council tax because of 2.

I went to see a cosy 4-berth cabin cruiser (white plastic, not a narrowboat), spent a couple of hours with the owners, tootled along the Aire and Calder a bit and agreed a price (a bit under 4k). I got the boat lifted out of the water and surveyed professionally at great expense - a few hundred pounds - only to find a huge crack down one edge, which had been professionally fixed but the owners had never told me about it so I gave up on that one. I got a flat soon after so I stopped looking.

It would have been fun tootling into town at the weekend, mooring outside the pub, but realistically it's only fun from May to September.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
That's a goose not a duck. If the BBC journo's can't tell the difference it hardly inspires confidence in what they say...

Ah, but the caption might not have been referring to the bird in the picture, it just posed the question: "Where else could you wake up to ducks outside your bedroom?" The fact that there are ducks outside your bedroom doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't a goose or indeed several geese outside your bedroom too.

Edited by blankster

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Ah, but the caption might not have been referring to the bird in the picture, it just posed the question: "Where else could you wake up to ducks outside your bedroom?" The fact that there are ducks outside your bedroom doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't a goose or indeed several geese outside your bedroom too.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-26162044.html

behind these is the canal.

the path to the canal bridge goes about 1m from the end house.

insanely close.

HOLA4423
Guest Noodle

Docks tend to cost a lot and they stink. And there isn't anywhere to put your motor toys and gold. The 4-wheeled vans are along the right path, but I think you should try something like this:

http://www.privatemotorcoach.info/

A few years back, that was probably within budget. But now Laura's option is about the right level, although I've bookmarked the page should anything good actually happen.

HOLA4424

Now you are just being awkward. They might have as well written "where else could you wake up to chavs walking their mangy dogs outside your bedroom".

HOLA4425