HOLA441
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest Noodle

:lol: Like ya style Noodle. Forget the transit chassis, all you'll need is a couple of horses.

I can put the glass shower cubicle in the corner.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Noodle

Confident................ But have you considered the average UK outside temperature. Could be 'a little' embarrassing.

I haven't positioned the bidet yet.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest Noodle

Would you smile while using it? :D, Nothing worse than a miserable bidet bandit.

I just found this quote from wikipedia.

A bidet is a low-mounted plumbing fixture or type of sink intended for washing the genitalia, inner buttocks, and anus. Originally a French word, ...

You don't say! :blink:

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Noodle

Edited for accuracy. Sorry Noodle, I won't be held responsible for the French language aswell

Have you met 'Redwine' yet? He lives down that way.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest Noodle

No, not yet. Next opportunity I'll ask him where abouts. Where are you in Thailand? My Sister likes Thailand.

North East. Rural, with all the ruralness that goes with it. :ph34r:

HOLA4411

North East. Rural, with all the ruralness that goes with it. :ph34r:

A friend of mine has just returned to the UK after living in Thailand for about 10 years. Married, but didn't contemplate inheriting the rest of the family. I think he returned to the UK to get out of the tie with other family members. Or maybe he just didn't get on with the paint.

Edited by Spongethrower

HOLA4412
Guest Noodle

A friend of mine has just returned to the UK after living in Thailand for about 10 years. Married, but didn't contemplate inheriting the rest of the family. I think he returned to the UK to get out of the tie with other family members. Or maybe he just didn't get on with the paint.

Near enough the same years, same boat.

These were told to get on with it and in fairness they have. Backward place mind.

HOLA4413

Near enough the same years, same boat.

These were told to get on with it and in fairness they have. Backward place mind.

Never been, but I can imagine. I think the UK has been in regressive progression for the last 13 years, think you need to ask who's living backward now? Kin mental. :blink:

HOLA4414
Guest Noodle

Never been, but I can imagine. I think the UK has been in regressive progression for the last 13 years, think you need to ask who's living backward now? Kin mental. :blink:

Never paid it that much attention. Would go from airport, to office, to site, live there, go to the supermarket now and again, then back to the airport and back here.

I heard loads of government mentalisms when I had a telly and of course on here and chavs would throw rocks at us on site, but that was about it.

HOLA4415

Never paid it that much attention. Would go from airport, to office, to site, live there, go to the supermarket now and again, then back to the airport and back here.

I heard loads of government mentalisms when I had a telly and of course on here and chavs would throw rocks at us on site, but that was about it.

Enjoy Thailand, I will France

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Funny, I was perusing Ebay today for boats, and I also read that BBC article. I live near the Grand Union canal and marinas are all over the place.

The article is bunkum btw. The costs are seriously over-estimated. They mention Little Venice as an example for costs? haha. Totally unrepresentative.

You can get a decent boat for 30K, providing you expect the usual maintenance costs. It *is* a very cheap way to live. The big choice is between a mooring in a marina with facilities, or a canal mooring without. I've known those without the facilities and they loved it. There is a real alternative society living on boats.

The downside is the hardship. Anyone sensitive to cold should forget it. And be prepared to lug fuel around etc. You wouldn't retire on a boat IMO.

I'm still considering it myself, as a temporary measure. I've noticed prices coming down steadily. I saw a great one today actually (subject to survey of course). I was going to post the link but would you believe it's already gone. It was a very nice conversion, for only 10K! Someone possibly got a bargain there. Good luck to them.

HOLA4418
Guest Noodle

Funny, I was perusing Ebay today for boats, and I also read that BBC article. I live near the Grand Union canal and marinas are all over the place.

The article is bunkum btw. The costs are seriously over-estimated. They mention Little Venice as an example for costs? haha. Totally unrepresentative.

You can get a decent boat for 30K, providing you expect the usual maintenance costs. It *is* a very cheap way to live. The big choice is between a mooring in a marina with facilities, or a canal mooring without. I've known those without the facilities and they loved it. There is a real alternative society living on boats.

The downside is the hardship. Anyone sensitive to cold should forget it. And be prepared to lug fuel around etc. You wouldn't retire on a boat IMO.

I'm still considering it myself, as a temporary measure. I've noticed prices coming down steadily. I saw a great one today actually (subject to survey of course). I was going to post the link but would you believe it's already gone. It was a very nice conversion, for only 10K! Someone possibly got a bargain there. Good luck to them.

I think the concerns are about living saturated in duck piss.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

My mate bought a narrowboat to live on when he separated from his wife a few years ago. He bought a 'sailaway' - basically a brand new shell and engine ready to be fitted out by the owner.

I spent a few days with him on the boat one November. Although it can get a little chilly the multi-fuel stove had the whole boat toasty warm within half an hour - and he had also installed a full central heating and hot water system run off a calor gas boiler. For a single bloke or a couple who get on well it would definitely be a viable way of living.

He had no problem getting moorings. Most marinas do not strictly have licences for residential boats but turn a blind eye to people living on their boats so long as they pay their fees - typically a couple of grand a year payable monthly. He got a better deal than that though at a local 'cruising club'. :o I think he only paid £50 a month there - again living aboard was not strictly allowed but nobody bothers if you keep a low profile. An official British Waterways residential mooring is very hard to get in a nice location, but plenty of people seem to come to private arrangements with farmers whose land the canal goes through.

The other solution is 'continuous cruising'. That is moving the boat from one short-term mooring to another every week or so.

Other costs that have to be factored in are insurance and a British Waterways licence - just like car tax.

My mate sold his boat this year as he could see the market getting difficult and he wanted the cash as a deposit for a house when the time came. He bought the sailaway for £20k and sold the finished boat for £60k after two years part-time work on it and around £15k in materials to fit it out.

He loved it and misses the thing now.

The other example I know of people doing the same thing is the parents of a school friend of mine. As soon as she went off to university they packed in their jobs as teachers, sold the house, bought a 70' narrowboat, and spent the next 20 years cruising the country doing supply work wherever they fancied it. With the advent of mobile phones this is a very attractive way of life. As far as I know they still live on the boat (or its successor) in happy retirement.

My school friend however, considered them highly irresponsible!

Edited by Mr Yogi