House Price Crash Forum
Guest Noodle

Permission To Come Aboard, Missus?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/new-homes/property-26162044.html

behind these is the canal.

the path to the canal bridge goes about 1m from the end house.

insanely close.

Hey, they look just like houses only a lot smaller.

So where was the stable originally? Mews my ****. Terrace.

Edited by pyracantha

Just read the article....

It sounds like paying a lot of money to move back into the bleeding Dark Ages. Cold, wet, stinky, having to lug your own fuel, food and water around. And paying for the privilege. Oh, and how does one hold a job down, and will they ever afford kids? Hmmmm come to think of it, where will the mail come to if you have to move every couple of weeks?

It is sad that the couple in question were pushed into it by exorbitant housing costs, but I am glad that they are truly happy. I hope they don't freeze in the next winter.

Guest Noodle

Just read the article....

It sounds like paying a lot of money to move back into the bleeding Dark Ages. Cold, wet, stinky, having to lug your own fuel, food and water around. And paying for the privilege. Oh, and how does one hold a job down, and will they ever afford kids? Hmmmm come to think of it, where will the mail come to if you have to move every couple of weeks?

It is sad that the couple in question were pushed into it by exorbitant housing costs, but I am glad that they are truly happy. I hope they don't freeze in the next winter.

For a guy like me it's perfect and would be luxury compared to the way I used to live (and no doubt will again) in the UK.

But yes, for normal, sane, well adjusted folk this is to be avoided.

Guest Noodle

Hey, they look just like houses only a lot smaller.

So where was the stable originally? Mews my ****. Terrace.

Whenever I visit friends in the UK, sitting in the living room I always feel I'm sat in the car.

A few years back, that was probably within budget. But now Laura's option is about the right level, although I've bookmarked the page should anything good actually happen.

funny this.

My mate (getting divorced) was thinking of getting a boat, it was the fanny and the mooring fees that made him decide against it. Now hes buying a static caravan, lovely it is looking out over a Cheshire mere. Buying it for cash, and the rest of his stash going to buy up farm land figures that in the future we are going to have to grow more of our own.

Bit jealous if I am honest, hes out of the rat race and cocking a snoot at the system

Guest Noodle

funny this.

My mate (getting divorced) was thinking of getting a boat, it was the fanny and the mooring fees that made him decide against it. Now hes buying a static caravan, lovely it is looking out over a Cheshire mere. Buying it for cash, and the rest of his stash going to buy up farm land figures that in the future we are going to have to grow more of our own.

Bit jealous if I am honest, hes out of the rat race and cocking a snoot at the system

Ideally, and I should have done this 12 -14 years ago, I'd have a decent(ish) static. Next time a long job of say 2-3 years site based comes up . . . yeah.

Thing is about your boys static, what his situation with land and sticking the thing somewhere to live. On site we're fine, but can he just plonk it down on farmland, does any council clown object?

Cosmic sized attitude difference between wild camping/drifting around France in a home on wheels & doing same in Blighty.

In France it is acceptable, encouraged even, & except for the coast in August, blissfully easy. Only the weather needs to be considered.

(Some great cheap municipal camp sites too; which can be open for you even when they are closed, if you are OK with the the language)

If we were not living in an el-cheapo mini-paradise now, I think we would have stayed in France between March & September each year, never bought another place (though maybe some land by a river), & flown off to a warmer clime each winter (which is what we intend to do from now on).

All, I might add, spending far less than being perched on the ever watchful septic isle with its lousy quality/price ratio <_<

Cosmic sized attitude difference between wild camping/drifting around France in a home on wheels & doing same in Blighty.

In France it is acceptable, encouraged even, & except for the coast in August, blissfully easy. Only the weather needs to be considered.

(Some great cheap municipal camp sites too; which can be open for you even when they are closed, if you are OK with the the language)

If we were not living in an el-cheapo mini-paradise now, I think we would have stayed in France between March & September each year, never bought another place (though maybe some land by a river), & flown off to a warmer clime each winter (which is what we intend to do from now on).

All, I might add, spending far less than being perched on the ever watchful septic isle with its lousy quality/price ratio <_<

Agreed, im off on my regular round of municipals in a week or so.

Ideally, and I should have done this 12 -14 years ago, I'd have a decent(ish) static. Next time a long job of say 2-3 years site based comes up . . . yeah.

Thing is about your boys static, what his situation with land and sticking the thing somewhere to live. On site we're fine, but can he just plonk it down on farmland, does any council clown object?

http://www.joalleisure.com/mobile-home-planning-considerations.html

Though AFAIK if you're discreet and out of sight then they have better things to spend their time on, the worst they can do is make you shift it after all.

Guest Noodle

http://www.joalleisure.com/mobile-home-planning-considerations.html

Though AFAIK if you're discreet and out of sight then they have better things to spend their time on, the worst they can do is make you shift it after all.

Nice one Frank.

Caravan sites

The use of land for the stationing of a caravan is permitted development under the following circumstances:

use within curtilage of a dwelling-house already discussed above
use of a caravan site for single caravans for up to 2 nights, but subject to an annual limit of 28 days on that land or adjoining land
up to 3 caravans are allowed without a site license (see Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960). For up to 28 days a year on holdings of less than 5 acres.
seasonal use of agricultural land as a caravan site for agricultural or forestry workers.

Hey noodle, I've got a wide beam for sale (57' x 10'). I've recently fitted it out and has pretty much the top notch kit. It's not quite finished, just a floor to fit and the outside painting, but it is very nicely fitted inside. Not that expensive either. Bluewater boats hull. The hull has been interzoned from new so no need to treat below the waterline for ages. Dry docked. Bargain for someone. No joke.

Guest Noodle

Hey noodle, I've got a wide beam for sale (57' x 10'). I've recently fitted it out and has pretty much the top notch kit. It's not quite finished, just a floor to fit and the outside painting, but it is very nicely fitted inside. Not that expensive either. Bluewater boats hull. The hull has been interzoned from new so no need to treat below the waterline for ages. Dry docked. Bargain for someone. No joke.

Why do you and me always end up talking about paint?

Sounds perfect . . . only thing is . . . things are tight. How much is it?

Why do you and me always end up talking about paint?

Sounds perfect . . . only thing is . . . things are tight. How much is it?

Not sure why paint is our common friend :rolleyes:

As for price, I've only just decided to sell so not sure. It is a lovely fit-out, makes the pictures in the article look truly dull and uninspired. Why do people think that boats have to look like a Swedish sauna? :unsure: I must get my **** into gear and put it on the market.

Guest Noodle

Not sure why paint is our common friend :rolleyes:

As for price, I've only just decided to sell so not sure. It is a lovely fit-out, makes the pictures in the article look truly dull and uninspired. Why do people think that boats have to look like a Swedish sauna? :unsure: I must get my **** into gear and put it on the market.

I've never understood the blinding lashings of cheap arsed looking pine in those things.

Sounds expensive.

Take it to France. Are there canals there?

I've never understood the blinding lashings of cheap arsed looking pine in those things.

Sounds expensive.

Take it to France. Are there canals there?

The reason for using pine is that it is cheap and the average Joe 'THINKS' that they can get away with fitting a boat using a rusty hand saw and/or a hammer. This boat has solid oak slat ceilings and trims and cherry wood fitted bedrooms. The walls are a plain chaulk colour at the moment ready for customising. If I'm honest, I'll be happy get my money back on the cost of the hull/engine (new) and the materials used for the fit-out (total) circa £75k. It's not a great market at the moment but I've enjoyed the work. I used to be a joiner you see.

The original idea was to take it to France as the waterways are fantastic but my partner (business) lost interest. If it doesn't sell this year I'll probably fund it as a rental.

Guest Noodle

The reason for using pine is that it is cheap and the average Joe 'THINKS' that they can get away with fitting a boat using a rusty hand saw and/or a hammer. This boat has solid oak slat ceilings and trims and cherry wood fitted bedrooms. The walls are a plain chaulk colour at the moment ready for customising. If I'm honest, I'll be happy get my money back on the cost of the hull/engine (new) and the materials used for the fit-out (total) circa £75k. It's not a great market at the moment but I've enjoyed the work. I used to be a joiner you see.

The original idea was to take it to France as the waterways are fantastic but my partner (business) lost interest. If it doesn't sell this year I'll probably fund it as a rental.

Take it with you.

Seriously. That sounds good, you can rent it for holidays and stuff.

I'm staring down the barrel of a sub-£2k converted Luton van to give you an idea of budgets. :lol:

I'm staring down the barrel of a sub-£2k converted Luton van to give you an idea of budgets. :lol:

No no Noods, not a Luton. (Yes, even I know what they are :o )

It has to be a sleek panel van with big ocean-view sliding door & cab with swivel seats integrated with the rest of the interior.

Edited by Laura

Guest Noodle

No no Noods, not a Luton. (Yes, even I know what they are :o )

A sleek panel van with big ocean-view sliding door & cab with swivel seats integrated with the rest of the interior.

Yeah but a Luton's got that bit above the cab, so it even looks like a £60k Winnebago thing. :D

. . . sort of.

Those Luton tops are fuelmongers.

What about a Nissan Vanette? I lived in one for 7 months in OZ with a Yamaha WR426 (enduro bike). Thats living, sleeping and a garage for bike, riding gear, tools and spares. Oh, I also had a little 12v fridge. Amazing how little space you need if you're organised.

Sydney_05.jpg

Edited by Spongethrower

Guest Noodle

Those Luton tops are fuelmongers.

What about a Nissan Vanette? I lived in one for 7 months with a Yamaha WR426 (enduro bike). Thats living, sleeping and a garage for bike, riding gear, tools and spares. Oh, I also had a little 12v fridge. Amazing how little space you need if you're organised.

Sydney_05.jpg

10 years of bunkabin hell, I know it!

Guest Noodle

Some of the very best times of my life. Free to go, sleep (crash) and ride a dirt bike wherever I chose. Met some fantastic Ozies to boot .

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the Pyrenees more.

Guest Noodle

A couple of people I know have bought timber cabins to live in. Much cheaper than a static, but you'll need land, or maybe a transit chassis to bolt it too. :unsure:

This ones ideal!

Outdoor-Garden-Shelter.jpg