House Price Crash Forum

Car Advice

the_dork

HOLA441

Hi all,

I know it's off topic and I only lurk here but there does seem to be some general wisdom and good judgement amongst the paranoia and stupidity...

Recently my 8 year old Peguot passed it's MOT but they advised on a couple of problems in the offing-main ones being clutch replacement (£600 or so?) and the window wiper motor (2-300??) The car is in ok nick overall, I would estimate it's worth £1000. Now, considering that it will still be worth this after the works, selling and replacing seems a no brainer to me. My issue is that I will quite probably change job within the next 12-18 months, I would hope to not then need a car and would sell it.

My main options are:

1) Buy another car of similar age (or older) for similar price and hope it's fault free-this does happen particular with something like a Golf.

2) Newer edition of similar-Peguot, Fiat, VW (Hate Renault and Ford). Say in one year's time I'll lose the depreciation on this and hope to have low maintenance costs in this time.

3) Stick with my current vehicle which has needed almost no work in the 3 years I've had it. Just wait until it busts out completely when I'll get next to nothing for it.

I am tending towards 2 but I really can't find any accurate info on likely depreciation within this year's time. Total outlay wouldn't matter so much (I have a healthy bank balance) in the sense that I'd happily pay 8k for something that will be worth 7.5k in a year, rather than 5k for something that shrinks to 3k. Any views on this one? For clarity, I'm not bothered by aesthetics/style, I just want something reliable and fuel efficient. Any ideas on what will work.

TIA

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hi all,

I know it's off topic and I only lurk here but there does seem to be some general wisdom and good judgement amongst the paranoia and stupidity...

Recently my 8 year old Peguot passed it's MOT but they advised on a couple of problems in the offing-main ones being clutch replacement (£600 or so?) and the window wiper motor (2-300??) The car is in ok nick overall, I would estimate it's worth £1000. Now, considering that it will still be worth this after the works, selling and replacing seems a no brainer to me. My issue is that I will quite probably change job within the next 12-18 months, I would hope to not then need a car and would sell it.

My main options are:

1) Buy another car of similar age (or older) for similar price and hope it's fault free-this does happen particular with something like a Golf.

2) Newer edition of similar-Peguot, Fiat, VW (Hate Renault and Ford). Say in one year's time I'll lose the depreciation on this and hope to have low maintenance costs in this time.

3) Stick with my current vehicle which has needed almost no work in the 3 years I've had it. Just wait until it busts out completely when I'll get next to nothing for it.

I am tending towards 2 but I really can't find any accurate info on likely depreciation within this year's time. Total outlay wouldn't matter so much (I have a healthy bank balance) in the sense that I'd happily pay 8k for something that will be worth 7.5k in a year, rather than 5k for something that shrinks to 3k. Any views on this one? For clarity, I'm not bothered by aesthetics/style, I just want something reliable and fuel efficient. Any ideas on what will work.

TIA

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Clutch could last for years.

Window motor might not be the trouble at all could be the switch. When it stops you will know (if you do some diagnostics). When it is broke you will have real facts and will not need to speculate.

Buy a Haines manual and a tool kit. Much cheaper option all round. Parts at scrappie real deal.

HOLA444

Hi all,

My main options are:

TIA

Welcome to the older vehicle owners' quandry. :rolleyes:

A few thoughts for you -

What is the model/ mileage/ engine size/ type?

What is the mileage/ how long have you owned it?

What service history did it have before you acquired it?

How conscientious have you been with servicing?

As a car gets older you can expect to have to start replacing bigger bits as part of the maintenance cycle (just like tyres, brake pads & disks, etc).

I used to own a V6 Omega. The general attitude on the Vauxhall forums was once you get a cheapo, expect to pay more in maintenance each year than you paid to acquire it.

With regard to your options - (1) is a pig in a poke. Probably not worth the risk if you know your own vehicle is fundamentally sound. (2) Unless you're going to spend less than £3k on your next car, the chances are you will incur at least £1k depreciation in the first year, which defeats the object of getting rid of your present car. (3) Probably the way to go, depending on the answers to my questions.

HTH :D

HOLA445

I'm with Snowbird on this. If what you are after is the lowest expense (and the least hassle) for the next year and a half then keep what you have.

If the window wiper motor does go you can pick up one dirt cheap from a scrapyard.

I know people who've been told their clutch is on the way out only for them to change garage and be told that there is nothing wrong with it. You can learn to live with a slipping clutch for a bit if it does actually start going and they're not just being over-cautious.

Edit: don't know why you assume a Golf will be fault free. No better (or worse) then a Focus or Astra these days. Most cars are reliable and well built.

HOLA446

I don't know how you can tell when a clutch on a french car is on the way out, they always seem to sound like they are on the way out. :lol:

Windscren wiper motor - simple change, get the part from the scrappie/ebay £50 tops plus 1 hour labour (can't see why more than that).

Sounds like your car is generally pretty good, why change? Make the decision if/when the clutch (or someting else major) goes and check out alternatives for replacement both for parts and labour.

HOLA447

I am with the second poster. The number you have sound absolutely absurd. The toyota starlet I used to have cost me about £130 for new clutch and associated work. Now I suppose it is possible that the engine would have to come out in your car but I strongly doubt it. For the money you are suggesting, you may well get a fully fitted clutch in a porsche!

HOLA448

Thanks all.

JohnG-Thanks, responses below

What is the model/ mileage/ engine size/ type? Peageot 206 1.1 Engine 3 dr (most basic one I think), 80k on the clock,

What is the mileage/ how long have you owned it? 80k, owned for 3 years.

What service history did it have before you acquired it? Only one previous owner, in v good condition and serviced twice a year

How conscientious have you been with servicing? At least once a year proper service and have a technical mate check things out every so often

HOLA449

Everything to me says keep your present car. Unless the design is really stupid (e.g. needing to remove a bulkhead to get at it), replacing a wiper motor is a DIY job for anyone with common sense and the ability to wield a screwdriver and socket wrench. Replacing a clutch is not, but £600 seems very high for a clutch job on a mass-production supermini. I'm sure you could get some online quotes from the chain garage type places (e.g. Nationwide or Kwik-Fit) that would give you an indication of the actual cost, then subtract 10-20% of that for what a decent independent is likely to charge you. I'd be very surprised if you'd be looking at more than £200. Incidentally, the clutch has nothing to do with the MOT test (you said that you were advised of a dying clutch at an MOT) and its condition makes no odds as to whether the car passes or fails. The MOT only inspects safety-critical components.

The car is relatively young in terms of mileage and has been looked after throughout its life. Unless there's a serious bodywork rust issue, my inclination would be to run it until (i) a serious bill is impending, and (ii) there's no realistic expectation that other serious bills won't follow it in short order. A 2002 206 with 80k will be worth £1,500 at most I'd guess, and assuming reasonable maintenance is unlikely to depreciate from now on in at anything like the same rate as a new or nearly new equivalent purchased now. You could still spend £500 a year ish on maintenance and be making a significant profit relative to the depreciation costs if you bought a new equivalent here and now.

HOLA4410

Thanks all.

JohnG-Thanks, responses below

What is the model/ mileage/ engine size/ type? Peageot 206 1.1 Engine 3 dr (most basic one I think), 80k on the clock,

What is the mileage/ how long have you owned it? 80k, owned for 3 years.

What service history did it have before you acquired it? Only one previous owner, in v good condition and serviced twice a year

How conscientious have you been with servicing? At least once a year proper service and have a technical mate check things out every so often

Maybe you could direct these questions at him, with the car sitting in front of him, and buy him a few pints and perhaps a lapdance ?

HOLA4411
Guest happy?

Hi all,

My main options are:

TIA

Everything mechanical in a car is replaceable - but all cars eventually fail their MOT through rust - so unless this was highlighted on the MOT I'd keep driving it.

If it ain't rusty drive it till it breaks down - it's done all the depreciating it's gonna do - so now you're paying maintenance only.

HOLA4412

Get a good tool set, and a trolley jack, some axle stands and a Haynes manual, you would be surprised on what you can achieve on the driveway with a basic toolkit. The price for the clutch is wrong, the other half has a Pug 307 and the clutch went at around 110,000 miles it cost about £200 at a trusted local garage.

The 307 it has now covered 150,000 miles and is super reliable just the usual wear and tear items have needed to be replaced (brakes, track road ends etc) and I have done most of the work on it barring the clutch and a new exhaust.

My current car is a Saab 93 its a year out of warranty so the maintenance will be all done at home, as far as its is reasonably practical. I got the Saab workshop manual and electronic parts catalog for less then £10 on flea bay and the online forums are an excellent resource. I just had to replace the brake master cylinder, it took less than 2.5 hours and was really simple.

I will do a service on her this week, the parts cost £42 and that was including a 32mm socket for the oil filter housing that I didn't have. The cost at a local garage would have been around £150.

You don't need to mechanically minded just diligent and methodical and you will be able to do quite a few maintenance jobs yourself.

HOLA4413

I'm also in the camp of keep your current car - better the devil you know. It's a good motor by the sounds of it. I also find it weird that they gave you advisories on the wiper motor and the clutch in an MOT - kind of seems like they were fishing for business to me. Even if there is an issue with either then there is no point in actually changing them until they do fail which could take years. Next time your car is up for an MOT go to a different garage.

Do you still expect us to believe you are a bird...:lol:

HOLA4414

Per what others have said.

- Neither are MOT issues, well the wiper would be if it wasn't working, but it seems to be working.

- I wouldn't recommend a clutch change as your first foray into home mechanics (!), but their price is silly, and it could be something really easy/cheap like the cable or hydraulics.

You'd probably get the whole lot sorted for about £300 at a decent independent. If the clutch is going (bad noise, slipping, squealing when you put the clutch pedal down) best get it changed, it is a pain in the butt when it goes and you have to try and drive all the way home in second.

HOLA4415

I am with the second poster. The number you have sound absolutely absurd. The toyota starlet I used to have cost me about £130 for new clutch and associated work. Now I suppose it is possible that the engine would have to come out in your car but I strongly doubt it. For the money you are suggesting, you may well get a fully fitted clutch in a porsche!

Clutch on my Pug 406 disintegrated, was an all day job for a good independant garage; apparently it's just one of those things. And this is a garage that has discouraged me from having work done in the past..

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The rear wiper motor should be fairly easy to change yourself. And it shouldn't be too difficult to find a secondhand wiper motor at a car breakers. The wiper motor is probably the same as used on other Peugeots and possibly other makes of car too. A Haynes manual would be useful if you haven't got one. It would also explain how to change the clutch although that's a fairly major job so you probably wouldn't want to DIY it.

If you like the Peugeot it's probably just about worth fixing.

The price for the clutch replacement doesn't sound hugely expensive if they have to remove the gearbox, uncouple the dirveshafts and possibly loosen the engine from its mountings. It's not as easy as changing the clutch on old British Leyland cars with the gears in the sump, where you just had to remove a clutch cover to gain access - been there, done that (Metro!)

Archived