House Price Crash Forum

Question Re Rent Deduction During Refurbishment

Lander

HOLA441
HOLA442

Does anybody know if I'm legally entitled to a reduction/waiver of rent during a kitchen and bathroom refurbishment whilst I'll be living in the same property?

I think you could probably move out with no notice if there are inadequate facilities or if the place is uninhabitable (if it's like a building site).

Presumably the land lord told you he was planning to do this before he started?

Personally I would speak to him and say that you don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a reduction in rent given that the place is practically uninhabitable (if it is).

In a way though it is good that he's doing the place up for you.. a lot of landlords are hopless at maintenance. Of course, he may try to use this all as a reason to put the rents up once he's finished ;)

HOLA443

Does anybody know if I'm legally entitled to a reduction/waiver of rent during a kitchen and bathroom refurbishment whilst I'll be living in the same property?

My guess is that it will depend upon the circumstances.

If it's for a short period and you've agreed to it then no chance.

If the landlord has told you he's doing it and it renders the property uninhabitable then it's probably a breach of the requirement to give "peaceful enjoyment" of the property and you might have a case.

HOLA444

Just to clarify, we have agreed to the work being done and I've asked my LL if she is prepared to waiver the rent whilst the new suites are being fitted as we will have to pay for alternative accommodation because the bathroom and kitchen will be unusable for 2 weeks. So far she has refused to waiver the rent so I have asked for a deduction, but so far had no reply.

Edited by Lander

HOLA445
HOLA446

IMHO if your unhappy refuse to let her to the work until you move out, and look for a new place at the same time.

Moose, we're quite happy here and have no intentions of moving. However I pointed out to our LL that the suites were getting old and tired and were no longer serviceable so she has agreed to refurbish provided we pay a little more rent.

Edited by Lander

HOLA447

Moose, we're quite happy here and have no intentions of moving. However I pointed out to our LL that the suites were getting old and tired and were no longer serviceable so she has agreed to refurbish provided we pay a little more rent.

That's your mistake.

No rent while work underway + small increas afterwards = OK

Rent while work underway + no increase afterwards = OK

Anything else = Not Acceptable.

Everything Is Negotiable

HTH

HOLA448

I think you should leave the place with no notice, thereby giving the landlord the opportunity to replace your snivelling face with a more grateful tenant.

Away and cry yourself to sleep.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I continued to live in my (privately rented) house during a complete bathroom and kitchen refit - albeit both didn't happen at the same time. It took the builders a bit longer to do and was disruptive but they made sure that everything was usable at the end of each day - i.e. it's not impossible - good communication and some give and take and flexibility with the builders was crucial though: on both sides. The LL also threw every tradesman at the house simultaneously to minimise the disruption and it therefore probably cost a lot more to get done than had the house been empty. I didn't pay reduced rent, but then again my LL didn't put the rent up until 9 months later and even then it wasn't a huge increase - and I still (3 years later) pay well below the going rate but have a brand new kitchen and bathroom that I had a big say on in terms of layout, design and colour.

If you have a good relationship with your LL I would suggest you think very carefully before forcing the issue. You need to weigh up how much a similar place that's had a refit would rent for vs. yours, find out how your new rent compares to that and then - if you really do need to move out - work out how much the two weeks rent at the old rate would work out per week, divide by 52 (weeks in a year) and then see what the difference would be between the going market rate and the new rent: you may find that you are getting a good deal after all. If not the answer is simple: move.

HOLA4411

Just to clarify, we have agreed to the work being done and I've asked my LL if she is prepared to waiver the rent whilst the new suites are being fitted as we will have to pay for alternative accommodation because the bathroom and kitchen will be unusable for 2 weeks. So far she has refused to waiver the rent so I have asked for a deduction, but so far had no reply.

If you have to move out of the accommodation then surely they cannot charge rent, or must pay for the alternate accommodation. Speak to shelter etc.

Having said this, it all depends on your relationship with the LL.

Edited by D'oh

HOLA4412

I think you should leave the place with no notice, thereby giving the landlord the opportunity to replace your snivelling face with a more grateful tenant.

Away and cry yourself to sleep.

You are a prize C unt

Edited by Lander

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Brilliant - the rent does not cover wear and tear and you are paying to get suites that are servicable - you are paying for that service and now are agreeing to pay more to get something that should be provided as standard.

Do you also doff your cap?

The rent increase isn't an issue, it's never gone up in 5 years. When it does go up after the work has been carried out we will still be paying below the average for our area.

Edited by Lander

HOLA4415

I continued to live in my (privately rented) house during a complete bathroom and kitchen refit - albeit both didn't happen at the same time. It took the builders a bit longer to do and was disruptive but they made sure that everything was usable at the end of each day - i.e. it's not impossible - good communication and some give and take and flexibility with the builders was crucial though: on both sides. The LL also threw every tradesman at the house simultaneously to minimise the disruption and it therefore probably cost a lot more to get done than had the house been empty. I didn't pay reduced rent, but then again my LL didn't put the rent up until 9 months later and even then it wasn't a huge increase - and I still (3 years later) pay well below the going rate but have a brand new kitchen and bathroom that I had a big say on in terms of layout, design and colour.

If you have a good relationship with your LL I would suggest you think very carefully before forcing the issue. You need to weigh up how much a similar place that's had a refit would rent for vs. yours, find out how your new rent compares to that and then - if you really do need to move out - work out how much the two weeks rent at the old rate would work out per week, divide by 52 (weeks in a year) and then see what the difference would be between the going market rate and the new rent: you may find that you are getting a good deal after all. If not the answer is simple: move.

Useful advice. I'm currently in the same position (new sound proof ceilings, new windows, total refurb of walls etc) and I'm dreading if they do this in piece meal. I think I have a good relationship with the builder when he came for the initial inspection, but I'm planning to make him aware that he should complete the works with as many tradesman in parallel in order to minimise the disruption. My landlord (the HA) is in agreement with this also, so that is good for me I guess.

My only concern is any damage to my belongings and appliances. eg. I get a scratch down my white Bosch fridge freezer. It still works so it would be stupid to replace it from the builders perspective, but it would be unsightly and I never made the damage would be my perspective. What would be the solution.

Advice gratefully received.