House Price Crash Forum

Ns&i Bond Maturing Soon

HOLA441

Anyone else with a bond coming up soon may be interested.

Letter about mine (1 year 4.2% growth maturing 18th Dec) ) arrived today.

Rollover rate is 3.95% gross.

Given that new 1 and 2 year bonds have recently been withdrawn, I was expecting considerably less.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA442

Anyone else with a bond coming up soon may be interested.

Letter about mine (1 year 4.2% growth maturing 18th Dec) ) arrived today.

Rollover rate is 3.95% gross.

Given that new 1 and 2 year bonds have recently been withdrawn, I was expecting considerably less.

Sounds good :). I have a 4.2% growth bond maturing early January, hopefully that offer will still be on the table then.

HOLA443

Sounds good :). I have a 4.2% growth bond maturing early January, hopefully that offer will still be on the table then.

You must have got in just in time :) - didn't they pull that one sometime in January?

I was having kittens in December that it'd vanish before my wretched bank would condescend to release my own money.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

My bond matures in Jan too. Is the rollover rate quoted for a one year account?

Yes, it was the one-year guaranteed growth bond.

According to the letter, if you want to rollover "...you don't need to do anything - simply keep this letter with your existing Bond as a record of the new rate."

Must say I'd been thinking of the M&S bond, but given all the faff while money is shifted hither and thither, not to mention more delay tactics from Barclays while they try to persuade me to leave it with them, I'm inclined to stay put for the moment.

• 1 month later...
HOLA447

Yes, it was the one-year guaranteed growth bond.

According to the letter, if you want to rollover "...you don't need to do anything - simply keep this letter with your existing Bond as a record of the new rate."

Must say I'd been thinking of the M&S bond, but given all the faff while money is shifted hither and thither, not to mention more delay tactics from Barclays while they try to persuade me to leave it with them, I'm inclined to stay put for the moment.

I got my offer letter from NS&I this morning. Automatic 3.95% rollover fixed for one year unless I say otherwise. Not a bad deal in the current climate for a sum well over the FSA guarantee limit.

Exclusively available to existing customers. You can reinvest up to, but not more than, the full value of the mature bond.

1-Year term 3.95% AER Gross

2-Year term 4.25% AER Gross

3-Year term 4.40% AER Gross

5-Year term 4.60% AER Gross

I shall stick with the 1-Year 3.9% as I think there will be better deals in a year.

HOLA448
  • 7 months later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

There was last year so fingers crossed. I wish I'd taken the two year option now but you can't win them all :).

Mine matures early November. Wish I'd stuck more loot into them, still they've been the best part of my (taxable) cash savings over the last 12 months.

Here's what they say in the T&Cs:

Retention after the fixed rate term

35. After the original term (or any further term for which interest is earned under this paragraph), a Bond may be eligible to earn interest for a further term of the same length. The Treasury will decide whether this will apply and, if so, what the interest rate will be. The Director will write to the holder, at the last recorded address for the Bond, shortly before the end of each term to tell them of the Treasury’s decision. If a Bond is eligible for a further term the rate of interest will be applied automatically and will be guaranteed for the whole of the further term, but the holder will remain free to cash in the Bond at any time (including for reinvestment into another Issue or another NS&I product) under the normal rules for cashing in as set out in paragraphs 24, 25 and 32.

So yeah, nothing concrete but fingers crossed they'll treat these as they did the Inflation Linked Certs and allow them to roll over.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4412

It's not good news....

Today I received a letter about the 3.95% Guaranteed Income Bond maturing in November. It didn't state the "new" rate of interest just that they would write to me 10 days before maturity.

I phoned up to ask what the new rate is and "as things stands at the moment it will be 2.15% gross"

HOLA4413

It's not good news....

Today I received a letter about the 3.95% Guaranteed Income Bond maturing in November. It didn't state the "new" rate of interest just that they would write to me 10 days before maturity.

I phoned up to ask what the new rate is and "as things stands at the moment it will be 2.15% gross"

Ah well, never mind.

The more they try to make me spend my money the less I shall spend, I'm naturally bloody minded :lol:.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

NR have a 3% 1 year bond which may be of interest for up to £50k (no government unlimited guarantee now).

http://www.northernrock.co.uk/savings/

I have a 3.7% NR bond (for just under £50k) which matures soon so I'll probably go for that.

I'm trying to avoid fixes with no withdrawals.

For instant access can you beat 2.89%? http://www.natwest.com/personal/savings/g1/instant-access/e-savings.ashx

HOLA4416

I'm trying to avoid fixes with no withdrawals.

For instant access can you beat 2.89%? http://www.natwest.com/personal/savings/g1/instant-access/e-savings.ashx

The best deal I'm aware of on a instant access current account is Lloyds TSB vantage account. Keep £7000 in your account and you get 4% interest you need to pay in £1000 a month but I know of people who have 7 accounts (for the up to £50000 safety limit) and move the £1000 through the accounts in rotation making sure each account has the £1000 in it for at least 24 hours. Just checked it's still on and it seems to be.

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/answers_to_changes.asp#changing