House Price Crash Forum

Vera Lynn Tops Charts

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

I see Dame Vera is now outselling The Beatles re-issued material, and is top of the album chart.

Is this the first struggling 'green shoot' of a moral resurgence in our benighted land? A return to the solid values and standards of those years when Goering's Luftwaffe threatened our island home?

Certainly Dame Vera is the personification of a restrained, yet charismatic charm, and a humility sadly missing among our 'entertainers' in recent years.

Snorting coke, buying BTL's, 'having a threesome' and going in and out of rehab were never on her agenda.

Perhaps nowadays we need a bit less Jonathon Ross, and a bit more Joe Loss*

Dame Vera embodies a lesson for us all, I think.

*A noted bandleader and personality of former years.

HOLA445
Guest anorthosite
A bit less Jonathon Ross, and a bit more Joe Loss*

If only Jonathan Ross could be a bit more Glen Miller next time he goes on holiday...

HOLA446
Guest AuntJess
I see Dame Vera is now outselling The Beatles re-issued material, and is top of the album chart.

Is this the first struggling 'green shoot' of a moral resurgence in our benighted land? A return to the solid values and standards of those years when Goering's Luftwaffe threatened our island home?

Certainly Dame Vera is the personification of a restrained, yet charismatic charm, and a humility sadly missing among our 'entertainers' in recent years.

Snorting coke, buying BTL's, 'having a threesome' and going in and out of rehab were never on her agenda.

*A noted bandleader and personality of former years.

Absolutely! I must be the only other b*gger here who knows who Joe Loss is..and has danced to his music! :lol:

Agree about Dame Vera as well.

HOLA447

I agree.

Mute point, but Dame Vera with her 32,826 sales compared with the Beatles albums, 64,361, on half a week (including two single unit box set comprising of all the albums).

Nonetheless for Dame Vera to top the charts is quite a feat. We sense something isn't right and take comfort in times past (at least values past - the war years couldn't have been much fun). Eras are passing and frankly inspiration is hard to find with the current crop of leaders and artistes.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
UK No. 1 album spot. No accounting for taste. Has the country gone completely barmy ? Is nulabour behind this in an attempt to bring back the wartime spirit in preparation for the massive depression thats on its way ?

[

Where are the entertainers who can buoy the spirits of a nation entering the economic darkness of the next decade?

I can hardly see Lady Gaga, Pixie Lott or the depraved Russell Brand in this role. Had Brand every appeared on the deck of a warship to aid the war effort, he would have ended up either swinging from the yardarm, or serving as the bosun's bitch.

Where are the chirpy, upbeat Formby's of our era, telling us that recovery is here and that 'It's Turned Out Nice Again'?

Or the great Max Miller, whose words were to prove so prophetic:

"Take a good look, missus. They don't make 'em like me any more"

Let's have a bit more 'Mary from the Dairy', and a few less obscene phone calls to octagenarian thespians.

We can only rely for so long on the energies of Dame Vera and elderly hoofer Bruce Forsyth

The economic road ahead will be hard, but surely we Brits can muster a laugh as we trudge that rutted uphill path?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Absolutely! I must be the only other b*gger here who knows who Joe Loss is..and has danced to his music! :lol:

I've never danced to his music* but I have one of his albums. Didn't he try to get 'relevant' in the sixties with a song called 'March of the Mods'? Strange though how those post-war big bands are now almost totally forgotten - Joe Loss, Ted Heath, Don Lusher etc - whereas the war and pre-war bands are still quite well known.

* my colleagues all like watching 'Strictly Come Dancing' but find the fact that I actually participate in ballroom dancing instead of watching it on tellie incredibly funny, for some reason...

Archived