House Price Crash Forum

Shops Busy, Several 09 Cars In Every Street, Sold Boards Up, Shares Up

0q0

HOLA441

Printing money - that's the secret. When you can just print what you need, everyone can borrow or spend for whatever they want from a box of chocolates to an 09 car.

Gordon's cracked it. We have the magic solution. Just pretend we have money and hey presto we will have.

There surely can't be any consequences, so this has been the easiest, shortest, no one really even noticed recession ever.

We can now look forward to studio flats for half a million on Stonebridge Park, Harlesden. Fill ya boots!

And as it's all looking so rosy, wouldn't be surprised if Gord calls the election this autumn. Before the little matter of the debt and the fact the real cupboard is bare has to come into focus. But let's not let any of the reality interrupt the orgy of new magic prosperity !

HM Treasury:

Printing what you need - it makes sense for all of us.

HOLA442
And as it's all looking so rosy, wouldn't be surprised if Gord calls the election this autumn. Before the little matter of the debt and the fact the real cupboard is bare has to come into focus. But let's not let any of the reality interrupt the orgy of new magic prosperity !

The big worry is, you might even be right. They won't win, but they will have pulled off a similar stunt to The Liar in shifting blame to their successors in the eyes of [to be determined].

HOLA443
wouldn't be surprised if Gord calls the election this autumn

Looks like this autumn won' be a very supprising time for you then.

I don't see things getting better than they are now before an election has to be called (June 2010?), so some time soon seems very likely to me

Edited by LumpHammer

HOLA444
HOLA445
The big worry is, you might even be right. They won't win, but they will have pulled off a similar stunt to The Liar in shifting blame to their successors in the eyes of [to be determined].

It rather looks as if the loons have taken over the asylum, "here have as much money as you want, we don't want it!" and out the masses go and spend spend spend. Yet the jobs pages are bare. Although I did see a few letting agents and a recruitment agency advertising for a p/t admin and rec cons, but could all be ****** or the p/t may be replacing the f/t.

Only cloud for Gordon now is the Gaddafi thing - Gaddafi has thanked Gordon for getting the man released, apparently (BBC News) ! :lol:

Radio 4 was just saying that the newspapers admit to putting nicey nicey stories in to not make the recession worse, and it could all be in our minds! Recession - just a state of mind! :lol:

DUMB DOWN BRITAIN

Edited by The Last Bear

HOLA446
HOLA447

You say they won't win and I am sure you are right.But to deprive Dave of a majority what a result that would be with the Tory bloodletting that will follow.

HOLA448

If printing money is such a good idea, why didn't Mr. Brown think of doing so BEFORE the crash, then we'd all be a lot richer :lol::lol:

Re. electoral swings - could Labour be boosted in a general election by a post Megrahigate protest vote against the SNP in Scotland?

Edited by blankster

HOLA449
Good to have you back TLB, any recent supermarket Anecs?

hiya, yes - Morrisons luxury ice cream special offer - large tub incl triple choc - just £1. Even cheaper than Lidl's at £1.24 and Morrisons is more like proper ice cream, there you go...go feast!

If printing money is such a good idea, why didn't Mr. Brown think of doing so BEFORE the crash, then we'd all be a lot richer :lol::lol:

Re. electoral swings - could Labour be boosted in a general election by a post Megrahigate protest vote against the SNP in Scotland?

It's all an illusion but as long as the illusion continues the discussions about "well that was an overdone recession by the newspapers" have some validity, but I cannot help but think - there's a price for this supposedly easy way out.

Gordon has been thannked by Gadd for the release, says BBC News. That won't help him at all, ditto "the deal" allegations Mandy has denied.

HOLA4410

This is an interesting article which gives some possible dates:

http://www.boatangdemetriou.com/2009/08/au...l-election.html

So by going to see the Queen on 12th October, the day Parliament returns, an election can be held on Thursday 29th October That would let him announce it anytime from the day after the Tory conference finishes to that weekend when they are all out.

He could hold out for the dear end but i think that would be a bad move. Like the original poster i have noticed that right now people seem happier, houses are selling and people are buying new cars. I think a lot of people think that the recession is almost over and a catastrophe has been avoided, even the expenses scandal is fading in peoples minds.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

He didn't need to. The banks did it for him.

Storm inna teacup.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Shops aren't busy around where I am..went on 2 retail parks today in North West both absolutely dead

You have to decide, do you believe what you see around you or do you believe the media spin.

'09 cars in the street? = Cash for clunkers.

Sold boards up? = SSTC, will be back on the market within 6 weeks.

Shares up? = Another massive bubble waiting to implode.

Look in your wallet. Exactly!

HOLA4416
Looks like this autumn won' be a very supprising time for you then.

I don't see things getting better than they are now before an election has to be called (June 2010?), so some time soon seems very likely to me

If they call it now, it will be about reducing the majority, not winning the vote.

HOLA4417

Where I am (reasonably prosperous East Midlands) I'm always amazed when I go into town - loads of people about, and yet mysteriously the shops keep closing down. The local shopping centre is bizarre, busy but increasingly denuded of shops.

This article from Mish is interesting - the phenomenon in the US where shoppers abandon items once they reach the checkout: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com...phan-items.html

It confirms something I've long suspected - people need the shopping experience even if they aren't buying anything.

HOLA4418
He could hold out for the dear end but i think that would be a bad move. Like the original poster i have noticed that right now people seem happier, houses are selling and people are buying new cars. I think a lot of people think that the recession is almost over and a catastrophe has been avoided, even the expenses scandal is fading in peoples minds.

The likeliest scenario is that he would lose his job but the party might not be quite as wiped out as in the worst case (e.g. following a collapse of Sterling, followed by "imported" inflation and high interest rates). Worst case for *them*, I mean.

Would he not have gone already is he was willing to do that for the good of the party? Do you expect Mandelson to advise him that they should both go? Did he not bottle an election already in more favorable circumstances?

Where can I bet on an election not happening this year? It's not that I am somehow in favor of wasting vast amounts of taxpayers money in an attempt to postpone the inevitable until after the election, but some things are just too much to hope for.

HOLA4419

except GB will bottle it due to the fear underlying his vanity

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Printing money - that's the secret. When you can just print what you need, everyone can borrow or spend for whatever they want from a box of chocolates to an 09 car.

Gordon's cracked it. We have the magic solution. Just pretend we have money and hey presto we will have.

There surely can't be any consequences, so this has been the easiest, shortest, no one really even noticed recession ever.

We can now look forward to studio flats for half a million on Stonebridge Park, Harlesden. Fill ya boots!

HM Treasury:

Printing what you need - it makes sense for all of us.

Gordon can win this one. He has plenty of financial reserves ready to step into the fray. His loyal ministers are not flinching and will hold on and begin a new offensive next Spring. The people all really like him and respect his great mind that brought power and prosperity to the fatherland...............

HOLA4423
Gordon can win this one. He has plenty of financial reserves ready to step into the fray. His loyal ministers are not flinching and will hold on and begin a new offensive next Spring. The people all really like him and respect his great mind that brought power and prosperity to the fatherland...............

In a way I rather hope he does. He looks worn out. I'd love to see him forced to clear this mess up. Or keeping this plate spinning act going much longer will probably kill him.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

HOLA4424

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=aCP0A2hWHZ94

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Prime Minister Gordon Brown is fighting the U.K.’s deepest recession in a generation with the biggest buildup of government debt on record, aiming to put off paying the bills until after his re-election campaign.

The 8 billion-pound ($13.2 billion) monthly budget deficit in July reported yesterday pushed up public debt to 801 billion pounds. That equals 56.8 percent of gross domestic product, the most since comparable records began in 1974 and more than when the U.K. received an International Monetary Fund loan in 1976.

“It’s scorched earth,†said Michael Ben-Gad, deputy head of the economics department at City University in London. “Whoever gets into government next will have to make very large cuts in services and also raise taxes. You’ll end up with U.S. levels of services and Scandinavian levels of tax.â€

HOLA4425