House Price Crash Forum

Tamiflu Does More Harm Than Good

bingobob777

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
I got some generic tamiflu through the internet the other day, just in case people around me start becoming symptonmatic. Obviously more expensive than getting a quacks prescription, but at least i get peace of mind it hasnt been 'enhanced' in some way by politicized NHS pharmacists.

yup, I'm sure the Tamiflu you bought on the internet (always the best place for perscription drugs in my view :rolleyes: ) is going to be much more reliable than the NHS shape shifting lizard version.

not convinced either are going to do you much good tbh.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Nice of them to discover this after tens of thousands of kids have been given it.

Problem is, people think that Tamiflu is like an antibiotic. When it is marginally effective at best; I wouldn't really bother with it.

(The fascinating thing is how people somehow get all worked up about a vaccine, which IS effective and has a known, very low, risk profile, but go straight for Tamiflu which is not very effective and carries side effects. )

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Theyre giving their version of it out for free.

Which is probably laced with RFID technology, Hallucinogenics and god knows what else.

yes

the NHS version is undoubtedly laced with psychedlics and nano transponders

you did the smart thing buying prescription drugs off the internet, what could go wrong there?

HOLA4411
Lovely. I hear it was rushed through testing, so who knows what long term side effects it might have in addition to the immediate ones?

Hey, Tamiflu, antibiotic, vaccine. Whats the difference eh?

Tamiflu has been on the market for many many years, its the vaccine that has been rushed to market and it's NOT available yet.

HOLA4412
Nice of them to discover this after tens of thousnads of kids have been given

it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8193012.stm

The depressing thing is that it is not new information.

It is there in case a serious strain emerges. It is nasty, but like chemotherapy, it can be necessary. For almost all cases of this strain, it is not. It has been used to fob people off.

However, doctors were being warned since the 70's not ot over-prescribe antibiotics. Now it is too late, some have stopped, many have not (easier just to blame the nurses and cleaners).

HOLA4413

Tamiflu has been on the market for many many years, its the vaccine that has been rushed to market and it's NOT available yet.

Chemotherapy is really nasty and has been around years. That is why people only use it in extreme cases. Some doctors have abused antibiotics and tamiflu.

HOLA4414

Wow another expensive useless drug that has been 'spun' to be some kind of miracle cure.

Still must not grumble, at least the big pharma will be making some nice wedge.

Im pretty sure taking zinc lozengers with vitamin c have been shown to reduce the length of time you have a cold my about a day too. I wonder why this has been ignored.

HOLA4415
Wow another expensive useless drug that has been 'spun' to be some kind of miracle cure.

Im pretty sure taking zinc lozengers with vitamin c have been shown to reduce the length of time you have a cold my about a day too. I wonder why this has been ignored.

Tamiful is very good for immediate treatment of serious (i.e. life threatening) flu. It is mainly so good as it is the only option. The recent use of it has been abuse. For most people zinc lozengers with vitamin c is beneficial, for the most severve case, tamiflu might be life saving.

HOLA4416
Tamiful is very good for immediate treatment of serious (i.e. life threatening) flu. It is mainly so good as it is the only option. The recent use of it has been abuse. For most people zinc lozengers with vitamin c is beneficial, for the most severve case, tamiflu might be life saving.

Well, you take it then. I wouldnt go near it with someone elses barge pole.

HOLA4417
Well, you take it then. I wouldnt go near it with someone elses barge pole.

I have no intention of taking it.

Unless I might die of flu, then I might think it the better option.

(Is there a reason why you replied without bothering to read what I wrote?)

HOLA4418

Well, Tamiflu is an anti-viral drug of dubious merit currently being widely employed out of context, while antibiotics are a range of substances that are toxic to certain forms of microbial life (not including viruses which might not even be 'life' at all) and vaccines are deactivated or attenuated viruses injected into a healthy patient to provoke an antigenic response in order that the appropriate antibodies will be present in case of future infection by the same virus.

Hey, you asked.

HOLA4419

£10 pounds for a course of treatment that may save some lives is nothing compared to the £30k per year that is NEAT's limit for a years life extension.

HOLA4420
The depressing thing is that it is not new information.

It is there in case a serious strain emerges. It is nasty, but like chemotherapy, it can be necessary. For almost all cases of this strain, it is not. It has been used to fob people off.

However, doctors were being warned since the 70's not ot over-prescribe antibiotics. Now it is too late, some have stopped, many have not (easier just to blame the nurses and cleaners).

Quite. This was never news (not this year anyhow), just conveniently overlooked by the politicos (who'd sunk all their money into huge stocks of Tamiflu) and the meeja (for their own god-knows-what reasons).

A couple of things:

Relenza is a far better bet in the sort of people who might actually need to take something vs Swine flu (like kids). Unfortunately, the UK gubberment doesnt have massive stockpiles of Relenza, so would rather you didnt say so.

Secondly, you need to take these things within 48 hours of onset for them to have a chance of doing anything, so, frankly, by the time you've come down with it, realised you've got it, rung NHS direct, had them ring you back, had someone deliverr it for you....... you might as well not bother.

Neither of these points is exactly news either, but, hey, you dont expect the gubberment or the meeja to mention these facts, do you?

HOLA4421
I have no intention of taking it.

Unless I might die of flu, then I might think it the better option.

(Is there a reason why you replied without bothering to read what I wrote?)

If you are going to die of flu, the tamiflu wont help, all it does it reduce the length of time it takes you to recover.

No recovery = no point taking it ;)

HOLA4422
If you are going to die of flu, the tamiflu wont help, all it does it reduce the length of time it takes you to recover.

No recovery = no point taking it ;)

No, it can help in serious cases, assuming it is not left too late. It has had some testing, you know.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
A couple of things:

Relenza is a far better bet in the sort of people who might actually need to take something vs Swine flu (like kids). Unfortunately, the UK gubberment doesnt have massive stockpiles of Relenza, so would rather you didnt say so.

Secondly, you need to take these things within 48 hours of onset for them to have a chance of doing anything, so, frankly, by the time you've come down with it, realised you've got it, rung NHS direct, had them ring you back, had someone deliverr it for you....... you might as well not bother.

Relenza has to be inhaled a serious disadvantage if you are coughing and your lungs are blocked with fluid. Its also more expensive than Tamiflu.

The 48hour time period; well if you already have tamiflu the delay from the NHS (if there is still much of one now they have things going) isn't relevant to its performance.

Archived