House Price Crash Forum

Excellent News - Uk Imports Another Heroin Smuggler

Bob Loblaw

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8188058.stm

A pregnant Briton jailed for smuggling heroin in Laos has been handed to UK Ministry of Justice officials, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office says.

The transfer took place in Vientiane, capital of Laos. Samantha Orobator will now return to the UK to give birth and serve out her life sentence in Britain.

Orobator, 20, from Peckham, south London, was caught with 1.5lb (680g) of heroin in August last year.

She avoided Laos's mandatory death penalty because of her pregnancy.

Foreign Office Minister, Chris Bryant, said it was "excellent news"

Excellent news indeed, just what the UK needs, another Nigerian drug smuggler and her illegitimate child. Noticed on BBC news her Nigerian mother, in full traditional British dress, could hardly keep her face straight when asked if she thought her daughter was guilty.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I've been following this case.

At first I thought oh yeah another one caught with a big bag of drugs and not guilty. Yeah right.

Then she got pregnant, and the media was like how could this happen? Poor girl, bad justice system and I thought, well how can her conviction be safe if their system lets things like that happen.

Then it turns out that there was no accusation that she had been raped in prison. She somehow managed to actively get pregnant to avoid the death penalty.

I'm not in favour of the death penalty, but it bugs me when someone is caught doing a crime in a place with the death penalty and the media and politicans come out with how horrendous it would be if they were put to death.

HOLA443
Then it turns out that there was no accusation that she had been raped in prison. She somehow managed to actively get pregnant to avoid the death penalty.

I strongly suspect that the Laotian authorities, at the very least, shall we say, allowed that to happen in order to open up an escape route from the international embarrassment that executing a 20 year-old, female citizen of a western country would have elicited. Just what you need when you're trying to develop a tourist industry. Come to Laos, buy a 680g souvenir and then get strung up, guillotined, put up against a wall or however they do it in those parts.

I'm not in favour of the death penalty, but it bugs me when someone is caught doing a crime in a place with the death penalty and the media and politicans come out with how horrendous it would be if they were put to death.

Agreed. And note how, in all the media coverage dwelling on how horrible it would be for her to have been executed, none of it mentioned the damage that would have been caused by 680g of heroin finding its way into the veins of Australian drug addicts.

HOLA444
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8188058.stm

Excellent news indeed, just what the UK needs, another Nigerian drug smuggler and her illegitimate child. Noticed on BBC news her Nigerian mother, in full traditional British dress, could hardly keep her face straight when asked if she thought her daughter was guilty.

Buy one, get one free!

HOLA445
HOLA446
The babies' father, also a Brit is trying to get a free pass out of jail on the back of this. Amazingly she says she got pregnant by artificial insemination. The world just gets crazier.

3 for the price of 2?

Can you redeem nectar points on these?

HOLA447
Agreed. And note how, in all the media coverage dwelling on how horrible it would be for her to have been executed, none of it mentioned the damage that would have been caused by 680g of heroin finding its way into the veins of Australian drug addicts.

You are 100% correct. She is somehow painted as victim simply because we choose to ignore the real victims of drug smuggling. The tone of the reporting has, for me, been that she was somehow and accidental 'mule', the dupe of some master criminal, inveigled in to transporting this white misery against her will. The truth of the matter is that she is, like all heroin dealers and couriers, a peddler in death and misery, a grubby greedy criminal who sought to line her own pockets without a care for the wretchedness she would bring to others lives.

Oh, I know the old line - poverty drove them to it. Well I see no indication that she was in any meaningful way "poor". And even if she was the misfortunes of your life do not give you the right to destroy someone else's.

Fear not however, she is quite literally laughing at situation.

Correspondents said Orobator, who was not handcuffed, laughed as she arrived on the tarmac.

In a statement, she said: "I would like to thank all those who were involved in my return, including various British government officials, for their efforts on my behalf, and for their support.

"Meanwhile, I would be grateful for a little peace as this has been a very traumatic experience both for me, and for my unborn child."

Lovely, I'm so glad she is concerned for children's health. Perhaps she could have considered this before she decided to smuggle heroin.

Orobator was expected to meet her lawyers to discuss her case.

Tax payer again? Anybody care to start a book on how long she actually does?

HOLA448
Guest Parry aka GOD

The report continued . . . .

"Samantha Orobator, whose house in Peckham is worth at least £500,000 . . . . "

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
The OP is only annoyed because the woman is black.

Not at all. Color has got nothing to do with it, do you see racism in everything?

This woman has manipulated the justice systems of two countries and has been able to avoid the true punishment for her crimes. Or do you think that convicted criminals should be able to dodge punishment for their crime? She will be out in 6 years apparently, some 'life' sentence.

Would you be so defensive if for instance you had seen a close relative affected by the damage heroin does or had seen the devastation it does to a family? I have seen this close at hand and it is something I would wish on nobody. So to see this lady climbing off the plane, all smiles and laughing as if she had just come back from Majorca sickens me.

HOLA4412

Personally, I'd top all drug traffickers.

An unwanted curse on the face of civilisation.

Furthermore, I'd place all registered addicts in a secure Scottish island, with rehab facilities if they cared to enrol.

Let them inflict their sub-human lifestyle and behaviour only on their peers.

And top all addicts who failed to register.

Scum.

Callous?

Perhaps: however my primary concern is to prevent further impressionable youngsters ruining their lives.

HOLA4413
Guest Parry aka GOD
Personally, I'd top all drug traffickers.

An unwanted curse on the face of civilisation.

Furthermore, I'd place all registered addicts in a secure Scottish island, with rehab facilities if they cared to enrol.

Let them inflict their sub-human lifestyle and behaviour only on their peers.

And top all addicts who failed to register.

Scum.

Callous?

Perhaps: however my primary concern is to prevent further impressionable youngsters ruining their lives.

They did here.

Mass cull.

Awesome!!! Made great telly too.

Over 3000 of them and then some. Some sunken sea containers were found recently off Sattahip (eastern seaboard, Thai Naval base) FULL OF BODIES!!!

So possible they did some more.

All extra-judicial. Just get on with it.

Human rights people and tree huggers weren't too impressed, but keep surprisingly quiet.

HOLA4414
They did here.

Mass cull.

Awesome!!! Made great telly too.

Over 3000 of them and then some. Some sunken sea containers were found recently off Sattahip (eastern seaboard, Thai Naval base) FULL OF BODIES!!!

So possible they did some more.

All extra-judicial. Just get on with it.

Human rights people and tree huggers weren't too impressed, but keep surprisingly quiet.

Aren't you a human rights person? If you're not, why support the Children of the Forest?

HOLA4415
Guest Parry aka GOD
Aren't you a human rights person? If you're not, why support the Children of the Forest?

When asked the same question, a monk responded that drugs were mass murder, not just in the physical sense, they smash up families and communities and society as a whole.

Remember it was worse here than the UK.

It was basically a war.

I'm undecided about this to be honest.

HOLA4416
When asked the same question, a monk responded that drugs were mass murder, not just in the physical sense, they smash up families and communities and society as a whole.

Remember it was worse here than the UK.

It was basically a war.

I'm undecided about this to be honest.

The flaw in your argument is that many choose to be murdered.

HOLA4417
Guest Parry aka GOD
The flaw in your argument is that many choose to be murdered.

What were your decision making processes like at 14?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Parry aka GOD
Your point being . . .?

Questioning my undecided views on the rights and wrongs of the death penalty, extra-judicial or not, is quite frankly hypocrisy on your part considering that comment.

Although I wouldn't disagree with the corporal punishment, in fact it would make an exceptionally kinky movie.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest Parry aka GOD
Bummer. You just couldnt make a film like midnight express and have it taken seriously anymore.

Not exactly sure why she is coming back home to serve her sentence, is that normal?

This was a nightmare for the Lao authorities. Just as they are really trying with tourism, inevitably this sort of thing happens. No way would they have executed this woman. It would have been a PR disaster.

There is also the problem of keeping her alive and well in prison, she's black amongst a load of Lao and Thai etc, who are in my opinion extremely racist.

Best send her back to the UK quick.

HOLA4424

Children who have suffered dreadfully mainly because of venality of the few and the laissez faire attitudes of Western governments anxious for their favoured multi-nationals to generate enormous profits at the expense of the many, cannot be held accountable for their own parlous condition.

One cannot surely apply "Human Rights" to Sub-Human species?

That is IMHO, one of the basic flaws of the present PC Bleeding Heart Liberal mentality and mindset.

If society is presented with a person of unchangeable Psychopathologic Disorder, no amount of counselling, being nice, turning the other cheek et al is going to change that core dynamic.

Yet, rather than sensibly incarcerating them in Broadmoor, e.g., "Human Rights" dictate that society must bend over backwards, throw money at them, whatever, in the vain and pointless endeavour at rehabilitation.

I place drugs traffickers on the same level.

Society has a duty mainly to society: not to the few who constantly seek to subvert it.

HOLA4425
Guest Parry aka GOD
Children who have suffered dreadfully mainly because of venality of the few and the laissez faire attitudes of Western governments anxious for their favoured multi-nationals to generate enormous profits at the expense of the many, cannot be held accountable for their own parlous condition.

One cannot surely apply "Human Rights" to Sub-Human species?

That is IMHO, one of the basic flaws of the present PC Bleeding Heart Liberal mentality and mindset.

If society is presented with a person of unchangeable Psychopathologic Disorder, no amount of counselling, being nice, turning the other cheek et al is going to change that core dynamic.

Yet, rather than sensibly incarcerating them in Broadmoor, e.g., "Human Rights" dictate that society must bend over backwards, throw money at them, whatever, in the vain and pointless endeavour at rehabilitation.

I place drugs traffickers on the same level.

Society has a duty mainly to society: not to the few who constantly seek to subvert it.

+1

Drugs on the rise big time here since they stopped the "extreme policing".

Archived