House Price Crash Forum

Usd At 1.70 Euro Nudging 1.18

HOLA441
Well, GOM is predicting that the £ will join the Euro at 1=1 before Christmas 09.

Will he ride out in the sunset like LONDONBOLLXMAN when he's proven wrong?

Here's to hope ;)

GOM would always return to say he got it wrong......if he does of course. Hasn't happened yet though (well apart from that bad black monday call :unsure::D ).

so are you saying that the pound will continue to be a currency then ?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Of course the golden rule of prediction is to never give a definite date or period.

yes, but too many do that & therefore never get anything wrong. I like putting dates to certain things, especially if you have researched & think you understand what's going on. I think it's fair to say the parity pound will be here for xmas this year.

HOLA443
GOM would always return to say he got it wrong......if he does of course. Hasn't happened yet though (well apart from that bad black monday call :unsure::D ).

so are you saying that the pound will continue to be a currency then ?

Yep, and I offer you a bet.

If the £ joins the Euro before Christmas 09 like you think, I shall leave HPC FOREVER (drum roll)

However, if it doesn't you do the same.

How's that grab you, dude? ;)

HOLA444
Well, GOM is predicting that the £ will join the Euro at 1=1 before Christmas 09.

Will he ride out in the sunset like LONDONBOLLXMAN when he's proven wrong?

Here's to hope ;)

tbh, I am very surprised that it hasn't happened yet. There is a very, very fine thread holding the whole UK economy up atm, we are way past the tipping point imo.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

If the £ joins the Euro before Christmas 09 like you think, I shall leave HPC FOREVER (drum roll)

That's a pretty good bet.

These are the odds from William Hills in Dec 2008

The company is offering 20/1 it will happen next year, 14/1 for 2010, 10/1 for 2011, 9/1 for 2012, 8/1 for 2013 and 2/7 for 2014 or later.

HOLA448

so you would rather I didn't post then ? you see I enjoy your posts, you remind me of casual sweater (as the witty PG called him), although you are more knowledgable & less annoying then him.

without differences of opinion we are in Orwells 1984 surely ?

I mean I don't want everyone to want the same as me, I don't want everyone to think the same things as me. I don't want everyone to be the same colour as me, I like variance & differences, as long as they don't harm anyone. :)

ps - I have never been a dude. :rolleyes:

HOLA449
have you a VI in the pound ?

do you & the others who keep telling us that it's very strong, have UK businesses by any chance ? ;)

Don't we all have a VI in the pound?

I think the German people will be regretting giving up the DM in the next few years.

HOLA4410

[

Take a bit of stimus money, add in a dash of inventory led demand and you're going to see some growth, this growth if continued would take time to turn into jobs.

FWIW i'm not convinced it's sustainable.

The growth will be sustainable until to ermmmm.... 1st of June next year at the latest? ;)

HOLA4411

GOM, If you read anything else apart from the Wakefield Express and its pages and pages of redundancies in your locality you may have learnt that it is an election year in Germany and the German govt is brushing under the carpet all the problems in the German banking system until after the election. When they finally come clean and start to solve the problems you are more likely to see 2 euros to the pound than 1. The German banking system the bedrock that the Euro is built on is seriously in trouble.

Whatever you think about the UK govt bailing out the banking system here it had to be done and that caused the dip in the currency. Now that it is viewed that the UK banking system has come clean and the issues are being dealt with the pound is strengthening.

The euro still has to go through its devaluation phases that the pound did when our banking issues became apparent. The Euro will do this after sept when the german banking problems start to be solved.

HOLA4412
Guest KingCharles1st
tbh, I am very surprised that it hasn't happened yet. There is a very, very fine thread holding the whole UK economy up atm, we are way past the tipping point imo.

I have to agree with you GOMey baby.

Everything is "hanging," the street is running very scared, very scared indeed.

Today's anecdotals-

1- My main high quality motor engineer services supplier company- been going for ever because of the quality of their work.

"For the first day I can ever recall, we did not take a job in yesterday.."

2- the Spa water office services company on my estate- "Business has fallen off a cliff, and companies are canceling contracts left right and centre.."

3- The aforementioned comment from the Chinese take away manager as quoted in an earlier thread.

There's a smell of systemic collapse in the air.

In the late nineties, early 2000's, normal people on easy credit- led by a carrot dangling pathetic chancellor, tried so desperately hard to become like their peers and class superiors.

Now it all lays in tatters

380K for a Doctor- f_uckin' ludicrous....

So we now have a ruling class of, Bankers, Politicians, Doctors, high ranking public Sector professionals....

It cannot go on for much longer- it may well start in places like Paris and Greece

HOLA4413
Guest Parry aka GOD
Don't we all have a VI in the pound?

I think the German people will be regretting giving up the DM in the next few years.

They already are and have been for years. Few in Germany want to be part of 'Europe'.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
so you would rather I didn't post then ? you see I enjoy your posts, you remind me of casual sweater (as the witty PG called him), although you are more knowledgable & less annoying then him.

I mean I don't want everyone to want the same as me, I don't want everyone to think the same things as me. I don't want everyone to be the same colour as me, I like variance & differences, as long as they don't harm anyone. :)

ah well, if you go all soft and PC like that, let's forget all about it, shall we :rolleyes:

ps - I know you don't like being called dude, I just said it to annoy you :P

HOLA4416

Perhaps you could put a good word in for me over on the 'peak oil' thread where I have been asked to leave!

Unfortunately my view that enforced population control amounts to Fascism hasn't gone down very well with the eco-mentalists.

:lol:

HOLA4417
They already are and have been for years. Few in Germany want to be part of 'Europe'.

What do you base that on?

I lived in Germany for 10 years, returning to the UK last year. I was there during the changeover. In my experience (from Western Germany), very few Germans had much against the EU, certainly nothing like the hatred that you get in the UK.

HOLA4418
GOM, If you read anything else apart from the Wakefield Express and its pages and pages of redundancies in your locality you may have learnt that it is an election year in Germany and the German govt is brushing under the carpet all the problems in the German banking system until after the election. When they finally come clean and start to solve the problems you are more likely to see 2 euros to the pound than 1. The German banking system the bedrock that the Euro is built on is seriously in trouble.

Whatever you think about the UK govt bailing out the banking system here it had to be done and that caused the dip in the currency. Now that it is viewed that the UK banking system has come clean and the issues are being dealt with the pound is strengthening.

The euro still has to go through its devaluation phases that the pound did when our banking issues became apparent. The Euro will do this after sept when the german banking problems start to be solved.

I am reading stuff that appears to be highlighting where the west is going, what the implications are with the east, this for me splits into 2 routes, those that believe china & the big east are in on it, or they are not & will crash the americanised west & become the new west. I think you need to move up a level as Germany do as they are told, as do all of europe. :ph34r:

but I do also read the wakey express. ;)

that's why I am unusual I think, I can mix across most levels. I do have my limits of knowledge though & I do realise what they are. :)

HOLA4419

oi, are you quoting straight from MY posts? ;)

HOLA4420
Guest Parry aka GOD
What do you base that on?

I lived in Germany for 10 years, returning to the UK last year. I was there during the changeover. In my experience (from Western Germany), very few Germans had much against the EU, certainly nothing like the hatred that you get in the UK.

Worked for a German firm, got many friends there, spent a while there, got political friends there too, all said the same thing. They were sick of supporting the rest of Europe and wanted out. Just my experience of it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest KingCharles1st
Worked for a German firm, got many friends there, spent a while there, got political friends there too, all said the same thing. They were sick of supporting the rest of Europe and wanted out. Just my experience of it.

I think this had a lot to do with the sybolism of knocking down that poxy wall- and the ensuing "we are all brothers" carry on.

Nobody could be seen to be against it's importance and the golden future- no matter how obvious the fallout was going to be..

HOLA4423
I am reading stuff that appears to be highlighting where the west is going, what the implications are with the east, this for me splits into 2 routes, those that believe china & the big east are in on it, or they are not & will crash the americanised west & become the new west. I think you need to move up a level as Germany do as they are told, as do all of europe. :ph34r:

but I do also read the wakey express. ;)

that's why I am unusual I think, I can mix across most levels. I do have my limits of knowledge though & I do realise what they are. :)

This is where you make contradicting statements we were talking about the pound to the Euro and now you are on about east versus west a completley different subject. If Chindia is going to take over and crash the western economies then the euro is in trouble as well as sterling.

HOLA4424

Well they put up with the Euro and 'Europe' in general because they believed that it had delivered 10 years of unprecedented growth.

Now we all know it was a con and the wealth never actually existed I think there is going to be a pretty strong backlash.

Either the Germans save their own economy or they save the Euro

I think I know which option they will choose.

HOLA4425
Guest Parry aka GOD
I think this had a lot to do with the sybolism of knocking down that poxy wall- and the ensuing "we are all brothers" carry on.

Nobody could be seen to be against it's importance and the golden future- no matter how obvious the fallout was going to be..

Yes, never get the West Germans started regards 'The Wall'. But I've found that this apathy this spread to the 'EU'. I've yet to meet one that wants to be in it.