House Price Crash Forum

Come On Then, How Many Here Are On Prozac?

athom

HOLA441
Guest DisposableHeroes
Thoses endorphins are addictive for me.

Yeah I agree, it's got to be better than swilling booze down and taking drugs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
I really don't like the idea of drugs to try and make you feel better. Someday you have to come off them and then what?

If you are suicidal there's no choice, but otherwise try and find out why you are not happy and do something about it, don't mask it with drugs.

The trouble with depression is that you can't be arssed to do anything about it. Worse still you get used to being miserable as if that is your natural state of mind.

I am on Prozac because I have come out of a major illness and this has nearly taken away my will to live. In time I will get better and in the meantime Prozac to me will allow that time to pass with a little less agro!

While I'm on the subject, illicit drugs. Coke etc. Don't do it. There is always a payback even if you can not work out were it is. Ultamatley it might not kill you but relationships with others will go out of sync etc and the world will become confusing. If evolution had found a better way to run the human machine it would have produced more natural narcotics in the blood. It didn't because it hadn't. I have seen too much agro due to drugs to recomend it, its shite; all of it!

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest DisposableHeroes
The trouble with depression is that you can't be arssed to do anything about it. Worse still you get used to being miserable as if that is your natural state of mind.

I am on Prozac because I have come out of a major illness and this has nearly taken away my will to live. In time I will get better and in the meantime Prozac to me will allow that time to pass with a little less agro!

While I'm on the subject, illicit drugs. Coke etc. Don't do it. There is always a payback even if you can not work out were it is. Ultamatley it might not kill you but relationships with others will go out of sync etc and the world will become confusing. If evolution had found a better way to run the human machine it would have produced more natural narcotics in the blood. It didn't because it hadn't. I have seen too much agro due to drugs to recomend it, its shite; all of it!

Good explanation, eloquently put. I hope you get better soon Abstra.

HOLA445

It seems to me a great deal of people on this very forum could benefit from a mild sedative such as 5mg Diazepam tablets - especially the bears who panic like small children when the Nationwide index shows +1%.

I too am addicted to those lovely endorphins, it's just too bad I get mine from a certain poppy rather than exercise.

HOLA446
The trouble with depression is that you can't be arssed to do anything about it.

You've hit the nail on the head, that's the circle that's hard to break out of, i remember it well. I eventually got out of it by putting myself in new situations. When life was forcing itself onto me i had to respond. It took a fair while but eventually i got back up, i think a better and wiser man for the experience.

So how is the Prozac? Am i right to fear this being taken by the millions could have an impact on peoples financial caution? If the bankers and politicians are on it will their optimism be altered??

HOLA447
Correct becuase it makes bones stronger, it aids digestion and eating disorders as it takes blood from the digestive system so less likely to overeat as just a couple of examples but the list of benefits is quite long.

Yep as it stimulates Vit D production as one example and also supresses melatonin production so you sleep better although melatonin is probably the best thing for repairing the body. In todays modern society we dont sleep enough so we dont give the body enough chance to repair itself.

Same can be said for any drug be it illicit or pharmacutical everything in moderation just like food & water.

Lactic acid broken down by the body is similar to taking Heroin along with the endorphon release is why people get addicted to exercise.

There are more Heroin addicts in the UK than exercise addicts I can assure you.

HOLA448
Guest DisposableHeroes
There are more Heroin addicts in the UK than exercise addicts I can assure you.

I want to say "sad to hear people screwing their lives up", but I've never tried it, so I can't really judge.

HOLA449
:lol: General existential funk - if i were in the army, i would be he

Mate haven't you heard? He's set to be the new Secretary General of the UN. We've had Boutros Boutros-Ghali, then Kofi Annan, then Ban Ki-moon now it's the turn of the much feared African dictator: General Existential Funk B)

HOLA4410
Guest AuntJess
Correct becuase it makes bones stronger, it aids digestion and eating disorders as it takes blood from the digestive system so less likely to overeat as just a couple of examples but the list of benefits is quite long.

Yep as it stimulates Vit D production as one example and also supresses melatonin production so you sleep better although melatonin is probably the best thing for repairing the body. In todays modern society we dont sleep enough so we dont give the body enough chance to repair itself.

Same can be said for any drug be it illicit or pharmacutical everything in moderation just like food & water.

Lactic acid broken down by the body is similar to taking Heroin along with the endorphon release is why people get addicted to exercise.

Laughter releases endorphins too. As to 'everything in moderation' I disagree. There are some things we should never ingest, and others only as a last resort.

Mind-altering drugs are for people who belong in a psychiatric ward...NOT the 'walking wounded'. B) That is my professional opinion.

GPs are introduced to the 'pharmaceutical solution' mindset during training. the good ones manage to keep it under control.....

HOLA4411
So how is the Prozac? Am i right to fear this being taken by the millions could have an impact on peoples financial caution? If the bankers and politicians are on it will their optimism be altered??

Had no such effect on me. I (slightly) increased my repayment of debt when I was on it in the past, not enough to influence the economy either way.

Oh and no troubles coming off it either - went to my GP said I intended to stop, he said fine. Job done.

If you're looking for things that decrease financial caution I'd blame those endorphins everyone's being so enthusiastic about. Have to be wary of their effect, in the form of "I had run today, felt great so borrowed up to my neck and bought a house."

HOLA4412
Guest AuntJess
Had no such effect on me. I (slightly) increased my repayment of debt when I was on it in the past, not enough to influence the economy either way.

Oh and no troubles coming off it either - went to my GP said I intended to stop, he said fine. Job done.

If you're looking for things that decrease financial caution I'd blame those endorphins everyone's being so enthusiastic about. Have to be wary of their effect, in the form of "I had run today, felt great so borrowed up to my neck and bought a house."

IS that down to endorphins alone? I rather thought it was down to a profligate character trait. :huh:

I married an athlete, it never affected him that way, or any of the others that I knew in the - then - British athletics team. I mention the latter to illustrate that there was a large body of people, who did a great deal of running/training, without doing anything like what you predicted.

As to coming off antiDs: You just came off them...just like that? No gradual reduction in dose? If that were the case mayhap he had put you on a placebo. It does happen.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
[/b]

As to coming off antiDs: You just came off them...just like that? No gradual reduction in dose? If that were the case mayhap he had put you on a placebo. It does happen.

I just came off them, just like that. No placebo, taking nothing at all. I had not used them for a particulalry extensive period, less than a year. Please remember that my GP is also fully trained.

Since I'm not in the habit of telling lies about such things please understand that if the intention was some sarcastic impliction, I consider it ill-mannered. If that was not the intention I have mis-read and apologise.

HOLA4415
Guest DisposableHeroes
I just came off them, just like that. No placebo, taking nothing at all. I had not used them for a particulalry extensive period, less than a year. Please remember that my GP is also fully trained.

Since I'm not in the habit of telling lies about such things please understand that if the intention was some sarcastic impliction, I consider it ill-mannered. If that was not the intention I have mis-read and apologise.

Good to hear something positive.

HOLA4416
Guest AuntJess

Your GP is NOT trained in mental health - only a psychiatrist has that honour - anymore than I am trained to diagnose bodily diseases. I may have some extra insight into these - more than a layman - but I ain't trained in it.

I never thought you WERE lying. I was very surprised at your ease of being able to do without them, and confess I wonder at your needing them at all. Maybe it was a low dose or one of the tricyclics ( easier to 'shed' than the SSRIs) - but it IS unusual and they DO affect the brain chemistry - just as cocaine or morphine does - which is why I find their indiscriminate use alarming.

As to sarcasm, I wasn't being sarcastic - just amazed, but I confess I am surprised at you objecting to sarcasm, as I feel sure I have read posts of yours where you have sarcastic digs at people. So do I - at times - but this was not one of them.

HOLA4417
Your GP is NOT trained in mental health - only a psychiatrist has that honour - anymore than I am trained to diagnose bodily diseases. I may have some extra insight into these - more than a layman - but I ain't trained in it.

I never thought you WERE lying. I was very surprised at your ease of being able to do without them, and confess I wonder at your needing them at all. Maybe it was a low dose or one of the tricyclics ( easier to 'shed' than the SSRIs) - but it IS unusual and they DO affect the brain chemistry - just as cocaine or morphine does - which is why I find their indiscriminate use alarming.

As to sarcasm, I wasn't being sarcastic - just amazed, but I confess I am surprised at you objecting to sarcasm, as I feel sure I have read posts of yours where you have sarcastic digs at people. So do I - at times - but this was not one of them.

Ah, then I misinterpreted, my true apologies for my over-reaction.

My objection is not to sarcasm per se. I feel it less appropriate in relation to matters of health since these can be sensitive and particularly important to people. For example I'll be disappointed in myself if I've been sarcastic about illness or caring for the ill. Possible I might have been of course, but it shouldn't have happened.

Back on topic, I cannot recall what specifically I was on. I think it affected my brain, which is why I stopped.

I felt it took the edge off my analytical thinking. I noticed this at work (although colleagues apparantly didn't) and in one of my hobbies, a japanese board game that includes extensive ranking/performance statistics in which I observed a decline coincident with starting the drug and an increase when I stopped. Not truly conclusive but one gains impressions from such things.

Not so bad I'd refuse the drugs if required in the future, I'd consider whether it was required.

I do share concerns about indiscriminate use - of anything. Its a balance. Since it was I rather than my doctor that initiated ceasing the treatment perhaps I underestimate the dangers.

HOLA4418
Guest Skinty

People have different levels of susceptibility to different neurochemicals. I suppose it comes down to how many metabotropic neuroreceptors you have for any given neuromodulator. Some people are more prone to becoming addicted to gambling or alcholism for example. Conversely we must assume that some people are less prone to certain neuromodulatory effects.

HOLA4419
Guest AuntJess
People have different levels of susceptibility to different neurochemicals. I suppose it comes down to how many metabotropic neuroreceptors you have for any given neuromodulator. Some people are more prone to becoming addicted to gambling or alcholism for example. Conversely we must assume that some people are less prone to certain neuromodulatory effects.

I will agree with that, but doesn't that seem to suggest that they would not have had any effect in taking them?

HOLA4420
Guest Skinty
I will agree with that, but doesn't that seem to suggest that they would not have had any effect in taking them?

Was just suggesting that some people will find it easier to come off them than others. If you aren't particularly responsive to serotonin, then it might not be too hard to just come off them in one go.

HOLA4421
Guest AuntJess
Was just suggesting that some people will find it easier to come off them than others. If you aren't particularly responsive to serotonin, then it might not be too hard to just come off them in one go.

Depends on her serotonin levels. Let's face it. GPs - or even consultants in the field - have as much idea of what the 'correct' serotonin level is and even less idea about how to go about measuring it in someone, that the whole process is descending into farce.

But the joke is on the poor patients who get to take these drugs, due to a unfaltering belief in whatever their doc says. :(

HOLA4422

Some people can barely metabolize certain SSRI's (such as Citalopram) while other SSRI's (and tricyclics etc) work for that person. That is perhaps one of the reasons why you have to sometimes "switch" medicines until you find one that works.

Perhaps that is why this guy claims he just came off his SSRI's with no withdrawals.

Everyone I know who came off an SSRI had the "brain zaps" and dizziness (this does my head in) unless they tapered properly.

I don't see the whole big deal about docs prescribing these medicines to people tbh, as long as people realise they are not a cure, just an aid, much like a painkiller isn't a cure for a broken arm. They won't make you do crazy things you wouldn't do before. They're much lighter than a benzo IMO.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest DisposableHeroes
can't beat that natural high ;)

Nothing added, nothing taken away [ 55 ] ** [60.44%]

I pretty impressed by that.

Archived