House Price Crash Forum

England Beat Australia At Lords

HOLA441
HOLA442
1934, when the average house price was £515.

That was the commentary from CMJ on Test Match Special when we won.

How property obsessed are we as a society!! We beat our arch rivals at cricket, and the first thing that springs to mind is house prices. :o

Hey, you won! That is great. Its just sad that a country that managed to beat the nazi's and accepted the price of it as being bombs dropping on their houses, and found ways to get around it and support each other, now would probably have to consider their asset values and surender if they could ensure that other places would be bombed instead.

HOLA443
HOLA444
You need to get out more - and just enjoy the fact that we beat the smug, sunburned, waste of spacers.

I'll wait until we've won the Ashes before doing that. We're only 2/5th of the way there.

HOLA445
Hey, you won! That is great. Its just sad that a country that managed to beat the nazi's and accepted the price of it as being bombs dropping on their houses, and found ways to get around it and support each other, now would probably have to consider their asset values and surender if they could ensure that other places would be bombed instead.

yup. can you imagine a political party trying to sell that idea now - "if germany invades Poland we're going to stop dithering around and, you know, take a stand against tyranny, i'm sure you'll agree we're doing the right thing, BTW this course of action may result in damage to some of your homes and quite possibly all of your house prices..." a new, pro-german, party would be in power within the week.

HOLA446

How property obsessed are we as a society!! We beat our arch rivals at cricket, and the first thing that springs to mind is house prices. :o

It wasn't just the commentary when England won the 2nd test ... it was during the match as well. He repeatedly made reference to it ... knob.

HOLA447

That is a 7.95% compound annual return from the depths of the first great depression.

HOLA448

You might read too much into it - it's just plucking numbers to make the point of how long ago it is. Rather than say it was 75 years ago, say it was £157,198 in average house prices ago and it sounds better.

It does show that we are property-obsessed to some extent though, as CMJ is anticipating that his audience will know the current average prices.

I have no idea, for example, of the average price of a car now and in 1934 - but the house price figures are blasted into your face every month on the news as advertising for Nationwide and Halifax.

HOLA449

That was one hell of a brave declaration to give them 190 overs at 2.7 an over. The rain was never going to knock more than 20 overs off that , and if they survived 150 overs the 520 would have been reached in any case. Not sure what the extra 20 overs achieved.

I would have got it up to 600 and had ten men in catching positions the whole time. Instead we were f**king lucky with c**p umpiring decisions and the slip corden had to be cut as we were saving runs from Clarke as opposed to trying to get wickets.

You could argue that Sunday morning favoured bowling.

HOLA4410
yup. can you imagine a political party trying to sell that idea now - "if germany invades Poland we're going to stop dithering around and, you know, take a stand against tyranny, i'm sure you'll agree we're doing the right thing, BTW this course of action may result in damage to some of your homes and quite possibly all of your house prices..." a new, pro-german, party would be in power within the week.

:lol::lol::lol:

Its so true. I have never till now understood or sympathised with Chamberlain. I am guessing he wasn't a weak dithering appeaser of tyrany at all. he was just protecting the property market! He is such a figure of historical contempt, but reality is so much harder than a retrospective.

I bet it was something like that, and that the high and mighty writing hands of the historian come judges of history have completely dismissed as trivia, all in the cause of chucking stones in a glass house.

HOLA4411
That was one hell of a brave declaration to give them 190 overs at 2.7 an over. The rain was never going to knock more than 20 overs off that , and if they survived 150 overs the 520 would have been reached in any case. Not sure what the extra 20 overs achieved.

I would have got it up to 600 and had ten men in catching positions the whole time. Instead we were f**king lucky with c**p umpiring decisions and the slip corden had to be cut as we were saving runs from Clarke as opposed to trying to get wickets.

You could argue that Sunday morning favoured bowling.

Isn't something like 420 the highest fourth innings run chase achieved in tests? You're right though, it gave them some chance.

Archived