House Price Crash Forum

The Canary Islands - Worst Casualty So Far?

HOLA441
I would recommend Fuerteventura

It's probably the quietest of the islands with few lager lout types.

Corralejo was a nice resort with golden sandy beaches.

I've just come back from Gran Canaria to grey rainy skies here!! Take me back please!!!!

Cheers, I know it's part of the EU, do you know anything about the health care system?

HOLA442

I nearly ripped the sump off a hire car driving up that hill to the top of the volcano. Maybe nice asphalted roads but there is an 8 inch drop off into the lay bys.

Nice place to visit but couldn't imagine living there.

HOLA443
I nearly ripped the sump off a hire car driving up that hill to the top of the volcano. Maybe nice asphalted roads but there is an 8 inch drop off into the lay bys.

Nice place to visit but couldn't imagine living there.

Why could you not imagine living there?

HOLA444
I think that its La Palma:

La Palma

Peter.

Yep its Cumbre Vieja. Several cubic kilometers of rock on the side of that mountain waiting to slip into the sea, causing a 300-meter tsunami wave that will swamp New York and London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbre_Vieja#Future_threat

Trouble is it would cancel the house price crash. With many houses destroyed there would be a lack of supply - Banks can't repossess and sell at auction destroyed houses :P

HOLA445
Advice very much appreciated. I am very much thinking of buying a home in the Canary Islands rather than the UK now because of the year round climate and free (ish) health care system (I have had a lot of heart attacks, couple of strokes). I can not walk very far because of my heart it's just too knackered and painful let alone the stroke, I certainly can not walk up slopes let alone hills. I can't walk up more than a flight of stairs. I would be very grateful for advise on where to look at buying. I would like sea views but I take it that's not so hard to find, I'm not totally smitten with the thought of black sand, but I might get used to it. I would not enjoy being surrounded by people wearing 'kiss me quick hats' or really late night rowdy twats roaming about. I'm 51. I do need some good restaurants etc, I do not want to be too far away from some life.

For a start which Islands should I be looking at?

Where on the Island and why?

Because of your medical condition I would recommend Tenerife, as it has the best hospitals (my sister had a double transplant last year and I was really impressed with the level of care she received).

If you want somewhere flat, by the sea, with enough life (shops, restaurant, etc.) and close to the airport I would recommend Las Galletas (south corner of the island) or nearby. It is mainly local, but with some brits (no ex-pat community as such)

HOLA446
Because of your medical condition I would recommend Tenerife, as it has the best hospitals (my sister had a double transplant last year and I was really impressed with the level of care she received).

If you want somewhere flat, by the sea, with enough life (shops, restaurant, etc.) and close to the airport I would recommend Las Galletas (south corner of the island) or nearby. It is mainly local, but with some brits (no ex-pat community as such)

Cheers, a double transplant, was that a heart and kidney's? Did she have to wait long for this? The UK only did c180 hearts last year and as I have had a stroke it precludes me anyway!

HOLA447
Had to add another vista, captured on one of my trips.

Taken from the 24 motorway, just beyond the observatory on the North side. You are 2.1 km above sea level from this vantage point.

It's ok, if you like looking at piles of volcanic ash.

HOLA448
HOLA449
I would recommend Fuerteventura

It's probably the quietest of the islands with few lager lout types.

Corralejo was a nice resort with golden sandy beaches.

I've just come back from Gran Canaria to grey rainy skies here!! Take me back please!!!!

I am also a fan of Corralejo.

First visit to Fuerteventura was when the only visitors were Germans.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Very interesting technical details about the wave. It might be worth having a plan if you live on the South coast of the UK as you'll have a few hours warning:

http://www.es.ucsc.edu/~ward/papers/La_Palma_grl.pdf

Interesting, very interesting article, I had heard about this. I don't live on the south coast, I live on my yacht in the Caribbean. We left the Canaries and had two hurricanes in 2005 crossing the Atlantic, It was tough going with the wind going the wrong way as the hurricanes sucked all the weather in. In between hurricanes we were becalmed for three days, we could not afford to use any more diesel up as we would need it for the next hurricane, so we sat there with the sea like a mill pond. We had three blue whales join us for three days, they circled us and went under the yacht for 4 or 5 hours a day. We snorkeled with them every day, it was fantastic. It should have taken up about 18 or 19 days, it took 28 days! We put up with 30 foot seas which to be honest was just a big swell along with high winds of course. I see the tsunami wave would take just 6 hours. Now that would be a ride!

HOLA4412
Guest redwine
. I would like sea views but I take it that's not so hard to find, I'm not totally smitten with the thought of black sand, but I might get used to it. I would not enjoy being surrounded by people wearing 'kiss me quick hats' or really late night rowdy twats roaming about. I'm 51. I do need some good restaurants etc, I do not want to be too far away from some life.

For a start which Islands should I be looking at?

Where on the Island and why?

May i suggest Rugia or Rugen in the Baltic Sea it is Germany's biggest island they have good hotels with good healthcare

White beaches no British bucket and a can of lager people there only Germans good climate not to hot not too cold

HOLA4413
Cheers, a double transplant, was that a heart and kidney's? Did she have to wait long for this? The UK only did c180 hearts last year and as I have had a stroke it precludes me anyway!

Pancreas and kidney. She was type 1 diabetic and had some complications that eventually led to kidney failure. She waited around a year for a suitable match, but she now leads a pretty normal life.

The local population suffer a lot from cardiovascular and diabetes related conditions (not sure why), so healthcare it’s pretty well geared towards its treatment.

As a cautionary note, although many doctors speak English, it always helps if you can communicate in Spanish.

HOLA4414
May i suggest Rugia or Rugen in the Baltic Sea it is Germany's biggest island they have good hotels with good healthcare

White beaches no British bucket and a can of lager people there only Germans good climate not to hot not too cold

Good climate, what in the winter as well, I can't do under 55F

HOLA4415
I like La Gomera. Everybody looks like Sir Sidney Rough-Diamond and people can talk (proper conversations, I'm told) from hundreds of yards apart by whistling!

(Again, not sure about living there.)

La Gomera is my plan B if/when it all goes pear in the UK (my grandparents have a house there that they hardly use anymore). Only 20 miles from Playa the las Americas, yet you feel like you are in a different era (let alone different country).

The whistling is not a myth; in fact, some older people still converse from village to village.

HOLA4416
I went there for a few days when I was about twenty-ish on a little tour with my bicycle in the middle of a typical beach/nightclub holiday on the big island nearby, and my only memory was that it was like a whole continent of different climates and plants (from the tropics to alpine forests) all squashed into a tiny space - and that it was absolutely lovely.

I have just been looking at a property site, they have just over 3700 properties for sale in the Canaries, with La Gomera having just 1.

HOLA4417
I was in the Canary Islands about 10 years ago and the unemployment rate was similiar.

At that time the rate was the worst in Spain.

This news isn't exactly new.

Totally agree. The unemployment rate is almost always the worst in Spain. There is also a considerable amount of cash in hand work.

The benefit system is very different to ours. It encourages people back to work after short periods of unemployment as other benefits (incapacity, income support,..) are very low, thus the figure is not as distorted by unemployed people claiming other benefits as it is in the UK. This is the same all over Spain, hence the scary percentages.

HOLA4418
I have just been looking at a property site, they have just over 3700 properties for sale in the Canaries, with La Gomera having just 1.

The incredibly overpriced one in Rightmove?

The only way to buy a reasonable property in La Gomera is to go there and ask around. I have never seen an estate agent there (quaint or what!), although I haven’t been for a few years.

HOLA4419
Good climate, what in the winter as well, I can't do under 55F

...try Las Palmas on Gran Canaria , described as the City with the best climate in the world (18c winter low). It also has it's own immaculate beach within the City...Las Canteras Beach....I first visited in the '70s when returning from Africa and it is still an interesting mix today.... <_<

http://www.laspalmasgrancanaria.com/1419weather.asp