House Price Crash Forum

Slim Pickings For Graduates

Guest BoomBoomCrash

HOLA441
Guest BoomBoomCrash

The graduate job market is in utter chaos, I'm stunned by how bad things are. I've seen jobs for engineering graduates offering 14k a year, and the story is similar for physics/chemistry and mathematics graduates. I'm even seeing companies advertising for Ph.D's for circa 16k. They'd be better off on the dole and claiming housing benefit.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
The graduate job market is in utter chaos, I'm stunned by how bad things are. I've seen jobs for engineering graduates offering 14k a year, and the story is similar for physics/chemistry and mathematics graduates. I'm even seeing companies advertising for Ph.D's for circa 16k. They'd be better off on the dole and claiming housing benefit.

Pretty hard to compete with a hungry world of experienced engineers, especially when our own graduates exit school with zero experience and huge expectations.

The company I work with hasn't hired a British engineer in 2 years. We have hired Australian, Spanish, Indian, Polish and Canadian ones though. I know it sounds bad, but there just isn't enough home grown talent willing to work for a reasonable wage here.

Maybe it's time for these young men and women to go live in another country and get an understanding of just what effect globalisation is having on the West.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Bet you're glad you graduated before the economic 'miracle' kicked in full thrust, then ?

But on the point you make : David Willets of theTories came up with a very smart proposal. He suggested that the government ought to find cash to fund a sudden increase in the number of Masters Degree places to be had so that those finding a difficult transition into the job market could build additional skills in the interim.

This worked very well indeed in the eighties and I see no reason whatsoever why it wouldn't work now.

:)

HOLA445
Guest BoomBoomCrash
Pretty hard to compete with a hungry world of experienced engineers, especially when our own graduates exit school with zero experience and huge expectations.

The company I work with hasn't hired a British engineer in 2 years. We have hired Australian, Spanish, Indian, Polish and Canadian ones though. I know it sounds bad, but there just isn't enough home grown talent willing to work for a reasonable wage here.

Maybe it's time for these young men and women to go live in another country and get an understanding of just what effect globalisation is having on the West.

Define 'reasonable'

HOLA446

If you have an accredited engineering degree and cannot find a job paying greater than £14k there is something wrong with you.

The greatest cause of graduates with good degrees not finding work is apathy. I'm sure the "lesser" degrees will struggle more but this is just natural selection.

I know from personal experience that the "economic climate" argument has become just another excuse for dossing around at mum and dads.

Regards

Edited by LumpHammer

HOLA447
Guest BoomBoomCrash
Bet you're glad you graduated before the economic 'miracle' kicked in full thrust, then ?

But on the point you make : David Willets of theTories came up with a very smart proposal. He suggested that the government ought to find cash to fund a sudden increase in the number of Masters Degree places to be had so that those finding a difficult transition into the job market could build additional skills in the interim.

This worked very well indeed in the eighties and I see no reason whatsoever why it wouldn't work now.

:)

I'm glad I took my skills somewhere they were appreciated. It was a choice between 16k in a call centre in the UK or what now amounts to nearly 6 times that in Germany. All I ever say to graduates when I'm in the UK now is 'why are you still here?'. The UK is a spiv nation in which you are more likely to suceed being a grade A bullshitter than you are by being very good at what you do.

HOLA448
Define 'reasonable'

Well it sure as hell ain't a £30k salary when you have zero experience; of course with experience and ability the sky is the limit.

Besides, the engineers profession in Britain is on the wane. It's sad, but we are seeing a near -10% YoY decline in the number of positions available.

Depends on the industry of course, but I assure you that there are many out there, with superior grades willing to work for much less from all over the world.

C'est la vie.

HOLA449
Guest BoomBoomCrash
14k pa is a reasonably sum if you didn't have to pay PAYE, council tax, road tax and pay 300% sales tax on petrol etc...

Lame argument.

HOLA4410
Guest BoomBoomCrash
Well it sure as hell ain't a £30k salary when you have zero experience; of course with experience and ability the sky is the limit.

Besides, the engineers profession in Britain is on the wane. It's sad, but we are seeing a near -10% YoY decline in the number of positions available.

Depends on the industry of course, but I assure you that there are many out there, with superior grades willing to work for much less from all over the world.

C'est la vie.

In real terms they are not working for less, it's just that the pound is a ridiculously overvalued ******** currency.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest BoomBoomCrash
if the state wasn't siphoning-off half your wealth then you'd have twice the purchasing power, no?

Right, but if all taxation vanished tomorrow, the following day all businesses would be conducting ay reviews to adjust wages such that people would be as they were before.

HOLA4413

Yet you can get the equivalent of over £26k doing a Ph.D. No wonder it's proving hard for some of my classmates with 2.1s to find one.

HOLA4414
Right, but if all taxation vanished tomorrow, the following day all businesses would be conducting ay reviews to adjust wages such that people would be as they were before.

Now you are all just taking nonse with your idealogical tax free Britain.

Get out of the UK with your piece of paper and go cut your teeth in one of the many growing economies around the globe.

Chances are you won't want to come back.

HOLA4415

How about people with useful skills that others actually want?

how are they doing?

Edited by Injin

HOLA4416

if you paid someone in the Czech Rep EUR 16,360 per year (the Euro equivalent of 14k GBP pa) they would be able to afford a good life.

and yet someone in the UK on the exact same salary of 14k would be pretty 'poor'.

why do you think that is?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Sounds like the market when I graduated many years ago[1]. I'd certainly have had more income - both total and disposable - on the dole.

But if I hadn't started out in a new-graduate job, how would I have moved to an experienced-senior-person job?

[1] with a good Maths degree from Cambridge.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest BoomBoomCrash
WHAT ?? DONT TELL ME THERES NO MORE media designers NEEDED ?

Because that's what engineers, chemists, physicists and mathematicians do.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
As explained.

Right.

Todays graduates have nothing extra to offer (in general) - therefore they are not worth anything extra over people who didn't bother going to university and have therefore malinvested their time.

Erm - so what?

People make bad bets.

HOLA4424
Right.

Todays graduates have nothing extra to offer (in general) - therefore they are not worth anything extra over people who didn't bother going to university and have therefore malinvested their time.

Erm - so what?

People make bad bets.

You assume a lot there Injin - what if they enjoyed being a student, or were interested in what they studied. I'd say either of these were a pretty good investment of time actually.

HOLA4425
You assume a lot there Injin - what if they enjoyed being a student, or were interested in what they studied. I'd say either of these were a pretty good investment of time actually.

I think what Injin is saying is that, if the idea was to get a good paying job at the end of it, then it was a malinvestment - it would have been better to just go straight into the job market and gain experience in the discipline, rather than try to 'fasttrack' via a degree which appears to have little value in the employers' eyes.