House Price Crash Forum

Slim Pickings For Graduates

Guest BoomBoomCrash

HOLA441
Jeez, are you from the same school of abject idiocy as Injin? Do you really want to be treated by a Doctor whose qualifications consist of having watch a few episodes of 'Holby City'?

Why do you assume that everyone else is an idiot?

Why the hell would you just let some guy start cutting you open without checking him out first? :lol:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
The 'not because they do something special' bit seemed rather telling. I mean most people making a good living don't do anything special. His argument is ridiculous anyway as cab drivers are licensed for good reason. No licensing means any sex offender could set up as a cab driver and start his own mobile rape wagon.

ofcourse, we have seen recently how well that license prevents sex offenders being cabbies haven't we? How many times do you hear the words "rape" and "taxi driver" in the same sentance on the news?

anyway, I take the general point but not sure that I agree.

HOLA443
No, having licences means that people will assume someone else has vetted the drivers, so they won't check for themselves, raising the likelihood of assault.

The only reason for licencing/degrees/begging the state is to corner the market and therefore raise the price.

The reason people don't have good jobs is because of the philosophy you advocate.

Yeah...totally injin. Lets just deregulate everything. :blink:

HOLA444
Why do you assume that everyone else is an idiot?

Why the hell would you just let some guy start cutting you open without checking him out first? :lol:

Right, so if I'm ever in a nasty accident I'll make sure to check the surgeon's credentials before I let him cut me :lol:

HOLA445
My company would be a prime example. If they hired 25 good engineers/scientists they would save 10-100x the wages they paid them. However they are bind to this and HR is not good at hiring good engineers/scientists.

UK companies are the authors of their own misfortunes.

If you treat engineers as junior bods on a career path that should lead to management or marketing by age 30, you're not going to attract anyone who cares about engineering. Yet that's pretty universal in my experience.

It's why so many leave. Like my brother-in-common-law, who in his thirties switched, and found himself paid three times as much as a newly-qualified lawyer as he had as an experienced chartered engineer.

I took a different escape route, and now work for a US company while still being an engineer.

HOLA446
Guest BoomBoomCrash
No, having licences means that people will assume someone else has vetted the drivers, so they won't check for themselves, raising the likelihood of assault.

The only reason for licencing/degrees/begging the state is to corner the market and therefore raise the price.

The reason people don't have good jobs is because of the philosophy you advocate.

How exactly does one determine if the person driving their cab is a convicted sex offender or not?

Edited by BoomBoomCrash

HOLA447
The 'not because they do something special' bit seemed rather telling. I mean most people making a good living don't do anything special.

Yes not a lot of people do things others cant, but almost everyone can drive and can afford a £100 sat nav. So that would make almost any ordinary man as good as a cab driver at driving people to where they wish to go.

His argument is ridiculous anyway as cab drivers are licensed for good reason. No licensing means any sex offender could set up as a cab driver and start his own mobile rape wagon.

:rolleyes:

Ahh, so the licence is to stop rapists?

Then why does it take 3 years of hoop jumping? Could you not just apply for the licence and the police check your history. No history of violence or sex offences and you get your licence within 2 weeks?

Or why not have a camera in the cab which takes photos and sends a live feed back to a database. There you go, zero offences.

The reason for the licence is just to keep prices high.

HOLA448
Guest BoomBoomCrash
ofcourse, we have seen recently how well that license prevents sex offenders being cabbies haven't we? How many times do you hear the words "rape" and "taxi driver" in the same sentance on the news?

How much more frequently would it happen if we had a free for all with no licensing at all?

HOLA449

I have worked with taxi licensing, and from what I have seen, they put a massive amount of effort into reducing risks as much as possible. I was actually amazed by how efficient they are.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Jeez, are you from the same school of abject idiocy as Injin? Do you really want to be treated by a Doctor whose qualifications consist of having watch a few episodes of 'Holby City'?

Well I understand that there are various difficulties in being a doctor or dentist.

For example I would be happy to have a checkups by a non 6 year hoop jumping dentist or doctor. I would probably also be happy to have a filling or blood taken off someone with just 6 months training.

However if I were having heart surgery I would want to make sure the guy had done it at least a dozen times before.

Currently we need a 6 year hoop jumper to polish our teeth or take our blood pressure.

It all means we pay more.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Well I understand that there are various difficulties in being a doctor or dentist.

For example I would be happy to have a checkups by a non 6 year hoop jumping dentist or doctor. I would probably also be happy to have a filling or blood taken off someone with just 6 months training.

However if I were having heart surgery I would want to make sure the guy had done it at least a dozen times before.

Currently we need a 6 year hoop jumper to polish our teeth or take our blood pressure.

A good point.

This is something that has been addressed in some areas.

An obvious example is the use of cover supervisors in schools.

HOLA4416
How much more frequently would it happen if we had a free for all with no licensing at all?

A person is a rapist or not. Unless passing the licence involves castration how does it stop the person raping?

HOLA4417
Guest BoomBoomCrash

A hygenist can do dental cleaning and does not study for 6 years. A nurse can take your bloody pressure and does not train anywhere near as long as a Doctor.

HOLA4418
A person is a rapist or not. Unless passing the licence involves castration how does it stop the person raping?

Well, it involves a CRB check. This checks for previous contact with the police, together with looking at info from a whole range of public departments, including health and social services.

Its not perfect, but its the best we have, until we learn to read minds.

Edited by Tomlad

HOLA4419
Well, it involves a CRB check. This checks for previous contact with the police, together with looking at info from a whole range of public departments, including health and social services.

Its not perfect, but its the best we have, until we learn to read minds.

Yes but it takes 3 years of hoop jumping to get a cab licence. Those checks would only take a week. So why does one need to jump hoops for the other 2 years and 51 weeks?

HOLA4420
Why not just blame everything on teachers?

Its funny, a lot of the people who winge about teachers benefits were also happy to brag about how much more they earned in the good times.

Swings and roundabouts. Its how the world works...

I don't think that is what sticks in the throat about teachers, it is knowing what they have and then having to listen to them bleat on about how it is not enough for what little they do that p1sses me off. If they kept their mouths shut, stopped striking and accepted that they are on a good screw then it would bother far no one.

HOLA4421
I don't think that is what sticks in the throat about teachers, it is knowing what they have and then having to listen to them bleat on about how it is not enough for what little they do that p1sses me off. If they kept their mouths shut, stopped striking and accepted that they are on a good screw then it would bother far no one.

Theres really not been much striking....

The NUT did a day. It was the first for years. There are no plans for strikes anytime soon.

HOLA4422
A hygenist can do dental cleaning and does not study for 6 years. A nurse can take your bloody pressure and does not train anywhere near as long as a Doctor.

What is the purpose of licensing if not to increase prices?

HOLA4423

and a hygenist is unregulated and unlicensed, nurses are only registered.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
UK companies are the authors of their own misfortunes.

If you treat engineers as junior bods on a career path that should lead to management or marketing by age 30, you're not going to attract anyone who cares about engineering. Yet that's pretty universal in my experience.

It's why so many leave. Like my brother-in-common-law, who in his thirties switched, and found himself paid three times as much as a newly-qualified lawyer as he had as an experienced chartered engineer.

I took a different escape route, and now work for a US company while still being an engineer.

The problem imo is that quality has gone down so much due to the massive increase of graduates.

We have 20 or so new engineers and apart from me and none of them could pass a first year mathematics course. How the hell they got their degrees is well beyond my understanding but they don’t know anything.

What annoys me is all these new “engineering degreesâ€

Automotive maintenance engineering. (mechanic)

Fabrication and welding engineering. (welder)

An employer hires these who turn out to be poor “engineers†and then thinks all engineers are the same.

You are also correct in that they seem to be hiring lots of engineers as fodder to then promote them to management late 20s. Waste of time for everyone.