House Price Crash Forum

Is It Possible To Find Out Who Owns A Property?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA
yes.

land reg. £3 a pop.

for residential.

Don't think commercial is as easy but am happy to be proved wrong.

or look in a HIP if i's for sale.

Can you also find out the othe way round ? from a name to see what property they own ?

HOLA445

Funnily enough I am buying a holiday lodge at the moment.

When I did a web search for planning permission applications for other lodges as I want to extend it, the hips report that the vendor had done to put it up for sale was on the hips company website online in pdf which I could then download. Not sure the vendor would like all the info freely available on the internet, but there you go.

So, do a search on the address. You never know?

HOLA446

If you don't know the Title Number for the property you can do a SIM which is free (wow!). Once you have that you can get the registered owner as Sarah says.

If the property hasn't changed hands in a while (1990 ish) it may not be be registered at all and if that is the case the LR won't help - you'll have to do some other detective work... :)

HOLA447

Come on all ye slewths I want an answer to my question for a very serious reason.

Can you find out from a name and DOB if that person owns property ??

HOLA448
HOLA449
Funnily enough I am buying a holiday lodge at the moment.

When I did a web search for planning permission applications for other lodges as I want to extend it,

One way is to search planning applications for property other than one you want to buy, but close enough for the

owners to write a letter to the council which then goes on the file.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Hmmm, tougher than you first think...

What else do you have to go on? General area, job title etc.

http://www.findermonkey.co.uk/how-to-find-someone

How quickly do you need the information? Personally, I would try and find out through word of mouth, six degrees and all that. Might take some time though.

VB

Zoopla, look for details on sale history.

HOLA4413
As topic says, is it possible to find out who owns a property?

I think you can find this information from the reference section of the library. Eons ago, in my past life, I worked in Estates Planning for the local NHS and remember being tasked with this. This was in Scotland. Worth a try maybe.

HOLA4414
Can you also find out the othe way round ? from a name to see what property they own ?

It must be possible. If you go bankrupt the Official Receiver does a search with the Land Registry to check whether you own or have recently disposed of any property which you haven't told them about.

It could well be that you need special authority to do this. As the information at the Land Registry is supposed to be in the public domain however, why?

Edited by Mr Yogi

HOLA4415
It must be possible. If you go bankrupt the Official Receiver does a search with the Land Registry to check whether you own or have recently disposed of any property which you haven't told them about.

It could well be that you need special authority to do this. As the information at the Land Registry is supposed to be in the public domain however, why?

Well I know the official recever can find out about premium bonds coz a mate went bankrupt and they told him he had a few that needed to be cashed in.Lol it was about 50 quids worth.

But property and land especially with no debt on it. For example I buy a house for cash in an off shore company name,I am the owner of that company, any search would just reveal owned by X company.

The reason I need to know is that I will be sueing someone and am pretty sure they have other property for me to put a charge on, its just finding where that property is.

HOLA4416
Well I know the official recever can find out about premium bonds coz a mate went bankrupt and they told him he had a few that needed to be cashed in.Lol it was about 50 quids worth.

But property and land especially with no debt on it. For example I buy a house for cash in an off shore company name,I am the owner of that company, any search would just reveal owned by X company.

The reason I need to know is that I will be sueing someone and am pretty sure they have other property for me to put a charge on, its just finding where that property is.

Ah ... if a company owns the land / property then that is a separate legal entity from the individual person - if you get a judgment against an individual, it will not be enforceable against the company unless in exceptional circumstances. A director or a company and an individual are different things in law. If he is a sole trader or partnership then you could then enforce over those company assets.

Your best bet is to make an application to call them before the court to answer questions on their assets under oath - if it later turns our that they have lied they will be held in contempt and the court could imprison them; at the same time you can bring a further case for losses arising from their contempt.

The only other option is to instruct a search agent who will do some digging on your behalf ..

HOLA4417
Ah ... if a company owns the land / property then that is a separate legal entity from the individual person - if you get a judgment against an individual, it will not be enforceable against the company unless in exceptional circumstances. A director or a company and an individual are different things in law. If he is a sole trader or partnership then you could then enforce over those company assets.

Your best bet is to make an application to call them before the court to answer questions on their assets under oath - if it later turns our that they have lied they will be held in contempt and the court could imprison them; at the same time you can bring a further case for losses arising from their contempt.

The only other option is to instruct a search agent who will do some digging on your behalf ..

I think I need a judge to freeze his assets to stop him transfering property to another name while its all taking its course.

An injunction I think is the word Im looking for. May all be too late though, he may have already done it. I have a charge on 1 property already but theres no equity in it and a forced sale may not cover my charge and the mortgage charge. Hence the need to see if he has other property that I could also go for.

At the end of the day the property I have the charge will increase in value. I might have to wait 10 years or so to get my money back but by that time the interest will have made the original debt a lot greater.

• 8 months later...
HOLA4418

I think I need a judge to freeze his assets to stop him transfering property to another name while its all taking its course.

An injunction I think is the word Im looking for. May all be too late though, he may have already done it. I have a charge on 1 property already but theres no equity in it and a forced sale may not cover my charge and the mortgage charge. Hence the need to see if he has other property that I could also go for.

At the end of the day the property I have the charge will increase in value. I might have to wait 10 years or so to get my money back but by that time the interest will have made the original debt a lot greater.

Hi did you evere get an answer to your question? I am in a similiar position to you where someone who owes me money is ignoring me. I now have a solicitor who said it would be better to find out if she owns any properties apart from the one she is in, which is mortgaged to the hills, and then get a charge against her property. I do remember she owned properties in a particular area but unfortunately i cannot remember the street name since it was a fews years ago.