• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
so where does 'pikey' come from?

EDIT: Don't you just love wiki. Do you think we ought to put the BLUFF card up on this one?

"In 1887, W. D. Parish and W. F. Shaw in the Dictionary of Kentish Dialect recorded the use of the word to mean "a turnpike traveller; a vagabond; and so generally a low fellow".

There is also a derivation from the pike soldier I think, as they were the lowest of the low.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

erm....any chance this thread could return to something about house prices?

just read through lots of arguments about the origins of gypsies. not what we're here for surely?

:ph34r:

HOLA448
erm....any chance this thread could return to something about house prices?

just read through lots of arguments about the origins of gypsies. not what we're here for surely?

:ph34r:

I think they have spent their gyros (please lets not have a debate on that word!) on the cider and now they are zonked out on the floor Stig.

I think it was originaly about how some poor misguided sods from the UK have lost 10's of grand on non existant properties in the new 'Cervinia'.....but Gruff and I were trying to stop the site from being removed due to uneducated racist slurs against Bulgarians.

Care to to start the debate for real again?

Edited by Neil B

HOLA449
HOLA4410
lol

i love laughing at these sorts of people.

this thread nneds pictures of the loosers so i can laugh even more!!!

You dont need a pic of the loosers 50% - just look at who are still viewing the thread and you will see who the winners are.....

Hello Gruff ;-)

Edited by Neil B

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

anyway...getting back to the original post - i enquired about buying in bansko 6 months ago - there were loads of repos and I thought i could get a bargain...but - its awful. im waiting for prices to drop in Italy and Spain next.

Bulgaria has sadly been ramped mostly by British 'investors' who have no interest in Bulgaira what so ever - only to make a quick buck.... which they haven't

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest redwine
lol

this thread nneds pictures of the loosers so i can laugh even more!!!

i can't believe that anyone who knows about ski-ing can compare bansko in "bugaria" with the french alpes i can just imagine them sh*tting themselfs in tignes and les 2 alpes only the greedy brits could invent something as greedy and stupid as this i hope that they burn there money at least that will teach them

HOLA4418

I just came back from a trip to a Bulgarian Black Sea coast holiday resort today and while I had a good time overall, I was shocked at some of the prices. Prices seem to have doubled from last year or 50% at the very least (although not for Bulgarians). Slice of pizza 1.5EUR, bog standard ice cream the same price. The "fairground" attractions for children were complete ghost towns, I honestly didn't see a single customer in them the whole time I was there - admissions averaged 4-5EUR per fare. I noticed a lot less English and West European tourists this year.

One of the main reasons Brits moved to Bulgaria was for the cheap prices, but prices have caught up to Western Europe - without the higher standards of service. I expect the massive influx of wanna be property investors will be followed shortly by an equally big exodus, except with 20-30k lighter wallets.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Helleiner, Jane (2003). Irish Travellers: Racism and the Politics of Culture. University of Toronto Press

Try reading this.

I'm sure more distant British ethnic origins lie in many different places. According to Dr Mark Thomas and his team of biologists at University College, London, the Anglo-Saxons who invaded Britain from what is now Germany between the fifth and seventh centuries drove out the indigenous population of Celts from most of the island. Others disagree.

Mr B and I had our 'ancestral' DNA done by Oxford Ancestors. We share the same male clan 'father', who also 'fathered' around 45% of native Europeans, but also others as far away as Uzbekistan ((15%) and the Cook Islands (5%)

According to the info. this frisky old goat's clan originated around 40,000 years ago in the Middle East.

We had different clan 'mothers' - mine originating around 45,000 years ago in what is now NW Greece (11% of native Europeans inc. the Cheddar Cave man) , Mr B's 20,000 years ago in what is now SW France (mere parvenu ;) ) shared with 47%.

HOLA4422

Yes, most adverts for property in places like Bulgaria and Morocco....boast how they can sell you a flat for £70k.....

and suckers form England think it's cheap just because it's quite a bit less than they'd pay for a flat in a decent place in ther UK....completing ignoring the fact local incomes are a tenth of what they are here....................

HOLA4423

There are some Grandees of this Forum who were a couple of years ago planning themselves and advising others to invest in Bulgaria, it eventually came to pass it was just all wind on their part. :D

Mick the Hong Kong flyer was quite keen at the time. :rolleyes:

HOLA4424
anyway...getting back to the original post - i enquired about buying in bansko 6 months ago - there were loads of repos and I thought i could get a bargain...but - its awful. im waiting for prices to drop in Italy and Spain next.

Bulgaria has sadly been ramped mostly by British 'investors' who have no interest in Bulgaira what so ever - only to make a quick buck.... which they haven't

They deserve to lose out. These investors are just greedy, very, very greedy.

HOLA4425
They deserve to lose out. These investors are just greedy, very, very greedy.

You don't know that the people were necessarily investors, nor greedy.

They could have been retiring on diminished incomes and pensions.

You can buy really nice places in Eastern Europe for pennies. But avoid Bulgaria and Romania, and never go through a company.