House Price Crash Forum

British Mandate Of Palestine

laurejon

HOLA441

Makes interesting reading, in particular the part about respecting the rights of non Jewish in the new state.

The Palestine Mandate,[1] sometimes referred to as the The Mandate for Palestine,[2] the British Mandate for Palestine, or the British Mandate of Palestine, was a League of Nations Mandate that had been drafted by the principal Allied and associated powers, after the First World War, and that was formally approved by the League of Nations, in 1922. By the power granted under the mandate, Britain ruled Palestine in the years 1920-1948, and that period in the history of the area is also referred to as the British Mandate.

The preamble of the Palestine mandate declared: Whereas the Principal Allied Powers have also agreed that the Mandatory should be responsible for putting into effect the declaration originally made on November 2nd, 1917, by the Government of His Britannic Majesty, and adopted by the said Powers, in favor of the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, it being clearly understood that nothing should be done which might prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country.[3]

The Ottoman Empire was split up by the Treaty of Sèvres. That treaty never officially entered into force. The terms of the original settlements were significantly remodeled by the subsequent Treaty of Lausanne, after the Chanak Crisis.

The purported objective of the League of Nations Mandate system was to administer parts of the recently defunct Ottoman Empire, which had been in control of the Middle East since the 16th century, "until such time as they are able to stand alone."[4]

HOLA442

Take a look at the Balfour Declaration Letter

Foreign Office

November 2nd, 1917

Dear Lord Rothschild,

I have much pleasure in conveying to you, on behalf of His Majesty's Government, the following declaration of sympathy with Jewish Zionist aspirations which has been submitted to, and approved by, the Cabinet.

"His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country."

I should be grateful if you would bring this declaration to the knowledge of the Zionist Federation.

Yours sincerely,

Arthur James Balfour

http://www.science.co.il/Balfour-Declaration.asp

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
1922 -1944 (Depopulation of Palestinians)

3.jpg

1946 - 2000 (Land Transfer to Israel)

image_thumb_yT35eg.png

Some interesting pictures here:

http://www.arij.org/atlas40/media/

Can't find similar map to show depopulation of Jews anywhere...but from memory I'll include: Germany, Hungary, Poland, Czeslovakia, Iraq, Iran, Egypt and Russia. Of course there are still some Jews living in those countries as well as Palestinians in Israel.

Not a member of Palestinian Solidariry Group (or similar) by any chance? Any reason why you're posting this stuff on House Price Crash Forum??

HOLA447

If you live in a country the size of a double bed, you have to learn to share the duvet.

Now behave yourselves and stop making excuses for a bigoted apartheid system! It isn't doing you any favours, you don't even want to go on holiday there any more. The world's biggest tourist trap and they turn it into an internment camp.

Sometimes I think you English jews have been completely swamped by the German racketeering mentality. Get a grip on morality: repeat the phrase at the top whenever the issue comes up. And let's have some peace around the dinner table.

HOLA448
Linda. Guessing from some of your reactions to other posts you be might of Jewish immigrant heritage.

That's great, no problem at all. But don't be so defensive in this instance. This is fairly interesting background on the rather shocking actions of the STATE of Israel in the last 50 years. Israeli actions are hard to justify. Most folk are smart enough not attribute these actions to people of the Jewish faith, Jewish background or even `the people of Israel. Again, the problem is the state.

And it is off-topic.

Whatever my background, (and you're wrong about me) I do sometimes wonder why people knock Israel all the time. There are worse atrocities happening in Darfur, Zimbabwe, N Korea, Congo etc etc. Do you see any posts on here about these countries?

If you look at my earlier posts, you will see that in all cases, Israel was attacked by its neighbours...Israel had to defend itself in 1948, 1956, 1967, 1974 and certainly since Hamas has been in Gaza, which Israel left unilaterally..much good that did.

Israel has made peace with Egypt & Jordan, but with Iranian backed Hizbollah/Hamas (who want to see the annihilation of Israel) on the other two borders, Israel doesn't stand much chance and has to defend itself forcefully. The people living under their regime are used as human shields.

Can you imagine having an Islamic terrorist group constantly firing rockets from Wales? Wouldn't England retaliate?

And by the way, not everyone who defends Israel is Jewish !

HOLA449
Can't find similar map to show depopulation of Jews anywhere...but from memory I'll include: Germany, Hungary, Poland, Czeslovakia, Iraq, Iran, Egypt and Russia. Of course there are still some Jews living in those countries as well as Palestinians in Israel.

Not a member of Palestinian Solidariry Group (or similar) by any chance? Any reason why you're posting this stuff on House Price Crash Forum??

Nope, on the contrary. Also, its an on-topic reply to a thread in off-topic forum, I think this can be classified as suitably off-topic??

Have you got anything to actually add other than assumptions and topic destruction?

HOLA4410
If you live in a country the size of a double bed, you have to learn to share the duvet.

Now behave yourselves and stop making excuses for a bigoted apartheid system! It isn't doing you any favours, you don't even want to go on holiday there any more. The world's biggest tourist trap and they turn it into an internment camp.

Sometimes I think you English jews have been completely swamped by the German racketeering mentality. Get a grip on morality: repeat the phrase at the top whenever the issue comes up. And let's have some peace around the dinner table.

Careful with your emotive use of words 24gray24.

Apartheid definition: political, economic & legal discrimination based on race and colour. Fact: In Israel the Arabs have legal, political, economic and legal autonomy and have seats in the Israeli Parliament. In apartheid South Africa, the non whites had none of these.

HOLA4411

Uhuh. So thats ok then.

The reason people bang on about it is because people like you say it's ok.

I don't think I've ever heard or read someone saying that the North Koreans are good guys, just misunderstood, and very little about how zimbabwe is suffering because of western policies. Ok, I have heard the latter on occasion, but not often.

However the coverage and attitude towards the Israeli treatment of the displaced persons under their control is appalling. Yet people like you attempt to justify it by saying its not as bad as what the germans did.

You really ought to read more, and maybe think about things.

HOLA4412

I see you decided to participate on the topic...so I'll offer a reply

Whatever my background, (and you're wrong about me) I do sometimes wonder why people knock Israel all the time. There are worse atrocities happening in Darfur, Zimbabwe, N Korea, Congo etc etc. Do you see any posts on here about these countries?

Yes, frequently

If you look at my earlier posts, you will see that in all cases, Israel was attacked by its neighbours...Israel had to defend itself in 1948, 1956, 1967, 1974 and certainly since Hamas has been in Gaza, which Israel left unilaterally..much good that did.

They decided to settle there.

Israel has made peace with Egypt & Jordan, but with Iranian backed Hizbollah/Hamas (who want to see the annihilation of Israel) on the other two borders, Israel doesn't stand much chance and has to defend itself forcefully. The people living under their regime are used as human shields.

I guess you only heard a certain translation and also didn't hear about the 10 year peace deal hamas offered Israel last April (defacto recognition)?

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/976662.html (israeli paper btw)

Can you imagine having an Islamic terrorist group constantly firing rockets from Wales? Wouldn't England retaliate?

Why an Islamic group in Wales? the Irish used to do it quite regularly. Do you think we should send in the tanks, tornados and bulldozers and invade eire, kidnap some folks then pull back for a while and wait for them to reciprocate, then do it all again next week but with added economic destruction? We tried it a couple of times, worked out well didn't it.

Also not everyone thats jewish defends Israel (some jews don't even recognise Israel)

Its either sacrifice for peace or a sacrifice for blood, but all I ask is please just leave the innocent alone.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Israel is supposed to be a civilised western country, not a third-world hell-hole. Imagine the international condemnation if the German government was treating German Jews the same way that the Israeli government treats Israeli Arabs...

Indeed: the vast majority are Apocalyptic Christians. They can't have the battle of Armageddon without Israel.

HOLA4415

Sir Gerald Kaufman (Manchester, Gorton) (Lab):

I was brought up as an orthodox Jew and a Zionist. On a shelf in our kitchen, there was a tin box for the Jewish National Fund, into which we put coins to help the pioneers building a Jewish presence in Palestine.

I first went to Israel in 1961 and I have been there since more times than I can count. I had family in Israel and have friends in Israel. One of them fought in the wars of 1956, 1967 and 1973 and was wounded in two of them. The tie clip that I am wearing is made from a campaign decoration awarded to him, which he presented to me.

I have known most of the Prime Ministers of Israel, starting with the founding Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion. Golda Meir was my friend, as was Yigal Allon, Deputy Prime Minister, who, as a general, won the Negev for Israel in the 1948 war of independence.

My parents came to Britain as refugees from Poland. Most of their families were subsequently murdered by the Nazis in the holocaust. My grandmother was ill in bed when the Nazis came to her home town of Staszow. A German soldier shot her dead in her bed.

My grandmother did not die to provide cover for Israeli soldiers murdering Palestinian grandmothers in Gaza. The current Israeli Government ruthlessly and cynically exploit the continuing guilt among gentiles over the slaughter of Jews in the holocaust as justification for their murder of Palestinians. The implication is that Jewish lives are precious, but the lives of Palestinians do not count.

On Sky News a few days ago, the spokeswoman for the Israeli army, Major Leibovich, was asked about the Israeli killing of, at that time, 800 Palestinians—the total is now 1,000. She replied instantly that

“500 of them were militants.”

That was the reply of a Nazi. I suppose that the Jews fighting for their lives in the Warsaw ghetto could have been dismissed as militants.

The Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni asserts that her Government will have no dealings with Hamas, because they are terrorists. Tzipi Livni’s father was Eitan Livni, chief operations officer of the terrorist Irgun Zvai Leumi, who organised the blowing-up of the King David hotel in Jerusalem, in which 91 victims were killed, including four Jews.

Israel was born out of Jewish terrorism. Jewish terrorists hanged two British sergeants and booby-trapped their corpses. Irgun, together with the terrorist Stern gang, massacred 254 Palestinians in 1948 in the village of Deir Yassin. Today, the current Israeli Government indicate that they would be willing, in circumstances acceptable to them, to negotiate with the Palestinian President Abbas of Fatah. It is too late for that. They could have negotiated with Fatah’s previous leader, Yasser Arafat, who was a friend of mine. Instead, they besieged him in a bunker in Ramallah, where I visited him. Because of the failings of Fatah since Arafat’s death, Hamas won the Palestinian election in 2006. Hamas is a deeply nasty organisation, but it was democratically elected, and it is the only game in town. The boycotting of Hamas, including by our Government, has been a culpable error, from which dreadful consequences have followed.

The great Israeli Foreign Minister Abba Eban, with whom I campaigned for peace on many platforms, said:

“You make peace by talking to your enemies.”

However many Palestinians the Israelis murder in Gaza, they cannot solve this existential problem by military means. Whenever and however the fighting ends, there will still be 1.5 million Palestinians in Gaza and 2.5 million more on the west bank. They are treated like dirt by the Israelis, with hundreds of road blocks and with the ghastly denizens of the illegal Jewish settlements harassing them as well. The time will come, not so long from now, when they will outnumber the Jewish population in Israel.

It is time for our Government to make clear to the Israeli Government that their conduct and policies are unacceptable, and to impose a total arms ban on Israel. It is time for peace, but real peace, not the solution by conquest which is the Israelis’ real goal but which it is impossible for them to achieve. They are not simply war criminals; they are fools.

HOLA4416
Israel is supposed to be a civilised western country, not a third-world hell-hole. Imagine the international condemnation if the German government was treating German Jews the same way that the Israeli government treats Israeli Arabs...

Indeed: the vast majority are Apocalyptic Christians. They can't have the battle of Armageddon without Israel.

You're talking absolute rubbish and seem to have only got your information from the BBC in the safety of your armchair . Have you been to Israel or the Palestinian Territories?? If you have not, then please don't spout such misinformation and, quite frankly, 'leftie' propoganda. I often watch Al Jazeera and their reporting is more balanced than the stuff heard on some of the UK media.

I've been to both parts, and the Arab Israelis I've met in Israel are treated on an equal basis and reasonably happy with their situation and treated with respect. Jerusalem Old City is amazing and is a credit to what can be acheived by co-operation between the 5 religions there: Christinanity, Islam, Judaism, Armenian & Greek Orthodox . There's more acrimony between the two Jewish sects- Ashkenazi & Sephardi.

The German Jews had their businesses taken, were stripped of their citizenship and treated with contempt. Don't you ever compare that situation with the Arab Israeli conflict.

HOLA4417

I think if someone was stealing my land and pushing me into the water I too might be a tadd p1ssed, especially as they were already handed the land on a plate, land that was never theirs in the first place.

HOLA4418

Israel has nailed its colours firmly to the mast. I am ashamed to say I did for years listen to the propaganda coming from the US and Israel as to how peacefull they are.

What is happening in Palestine is Genocide and it has to stop.

Israel has refused to allow a French-made water purification system into Gaza amid a drinking water crisis in the Palestinian strip.

The French Foreign Ministry said Friday that Tel Aviv had blocked the entry of a much-needed water purification station into Gaza and had forced its repatriation.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Eric Chevallier said the move has sparked an outcry in the Elysée, prompting it to summon the Israeli ambassador to Paris to explain why the system was denied access.

"There were a very great number of steps taken at all levels to try to get the water purification station into Gaza," he said, adding that Israel's explanation was not satisfactory.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs recently warned that Israel's 23-day onslaught on Gaza has pushed its sewage system on the brink of collapse and thus increased risks of groundwater contamination in the Palestinian territory.

"The most dangerous thing is the contamination of drinking water with sewage. We need an international organization like the World Health Organization to investigate the matter," said Monther Shoblak, head of the Coastal Municipalities Water Utility (CMWU).

Archived