House Price Crash Forum

Techie Question, Mods Give It A Couple Of Minutes Please?

HOLA441
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Have you switched it off and then back on again. Seems to be the advice I always get.

It does give the helpdesk guys some time to think. And usually resolves the problem half the time ;) However, if it has never worked, it needs configuring. Just thought I'd explain that mystery away. By the way, if you'd like to hear some amusing tech support calls..

HOLA446
You need to generate a new 128 bit WEP key or find the current one in your wireless router admin page.

You will need to connect to the router via a cat 5 network cable to change the settings.

Once you have the key enter it into all of the laptops and device connecting wireless to the router.

Once your laptop connects it be issued a dhcp ip address from the router you will be able to see it via ifconfig -a

Look in your router manual for setting up WEP

Do not, I repeat DO NOT use WEP.

Only use WPA (aka WPA-PSK) or WPA2.

WEP has now been shown to be crackable using an off the shelf dual-core laptop from PC World.

It was secure when it was first created but PCs are that much more powerfull that a combinarion of a flaw in the alogorythm and brute force mens it can now be cracked in under 5 minutes.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

As a Bristol University Computer Science Graduate who has worked in the Network Admin teams of EDS, IBM & AT&T for the last 15 years, and having read these last few pages with an enormous smile on my face, I just want to say ...

Thank the Lord your financial advice is better than your IT advice.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
As a Bristol University Computer Science Graduate who has worked in the Network Admin teams of EDS, IBM & AT&T for the last 15 years, and having read these last few pages with an enormous smile on my face, I just want to say ...

Thank the Lord your financial advice is better than your IT advice.

wouldn't be too sure on that either mate :lol: Anyhow latest situation, all configured good, browser just keeps timing out on default home page...is firefox perhaps not permitted on my router/firewall???

HOLA4412

Ok, so I took the little beauty to my mate who has a 'computer shop', straight onto their wireless network, quick as lightning browsing. Brought it back here still not getting on. Spoke to him over the phone, suggested I put the router ip addy in the browser address bar which I did and it shows up the d-link router. What stupid fukcin obvious thing have I done wrong?

HOLA4413
Ok, so I took the little beauty to my mate who has a 'computer shop', straight onto their wireless network, quick as lightning browsing. Brought it back here still not getting on. Spoke to him over the phone, suggested I put the router ip addy in the browser address bar which I did and it shows up the d-link router. What stupid fukcin obvious thing have I done wrong?

Can you browse to google http://216.239.59.99 , it's getting as far as the router so either that is blocking or filtering or maybe not handing out DNS with DHCP.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416