House Price Crash Forum

Techie Question, Mods Give It A Couple Of Minutes Please?

HOLA441

OK got a nice shiny HP notebook, (189 quid) arrived today, thought I'd just turn it on, put in the same code the kids have used for their x-box and wii etc (we have a secured network at home) and I'd be up and running. Phoned my mate Sashkin in an HP Indian call centre; top bloke mailed me instructions, followed them but it wants; ip addy, access this that and the other. Have done start> run> on my original laptop to get that black DOS box thingy up with a load of code but stuck, any help? TIA

Before anyone states the obvious yes I know I'm a minge bag and should have got the one with xp pre loaded and yes I know the processor in the HP is slow...looks ace though...

Edited by Converted Lurker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
OK got a nice shiny HP notebook, (189 quid) arrived today, thought I'd just turn it on, put in the same code the kids have used for their x-box and wii etc (we have a secured network at home) and I'd be up and running. Phoned my mate Sashkin in an HP Indian call centre; top bloke mailed me instructions, followed them but it wants; ip addy, access this that and the other. Have done start> run> to get that black DOS box thingy up with a load of code but stuck, any help? TIA

Before anyone states the obvious yes I know I'm a minge bag and should have got the one with xp pre loaded and yes I know the processor in the HP is slow...looks ace though...

Have you switched it off and then back on again. Seems to be the advice I always get.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
OK got a nice shiny HP notebook, (189 quid) arrived today, thought I'd just turn it on, put in the same code the kids have used for their x-box and wii etc (we have a secured network at home) and I'd be up and running. Phoned my mate Sashkin in an HP Indian call centre; top bloke mailed me instructions, followed them but it wants; ip addy, access this that and the other. Have done start> run> to get that black DOS box thingy up with a load of code but stuck, any help? TIA

Maybe it will run Leopard.

Try the 'Hackintosh' sites. They are ace.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest vicmac64

My advice is get yourself a ram upgrade to 2mb and change the op system to win xp oem version which you can get for about £70 ram less than £20. I use the same notebook hp2133 and it is really good with XP. You can check out www.hp2133guide.com for further info regarding your machine - as I understand it there are issues around linux and the wireless side of things on this machine but I stand to be corrected - google it and you will be amazed what info is available on the almost perfect notebook.

Whatever you do don't give up on the hp2133 - like I say it runs great with XP.

Also Ubuntu has a good few issues - mine refused to accept the install - you can try it from a usb or cdrom live session without installing it on your hard drive - I certainly couldn't get it to work though i think it is possible but a difficult install.

Like I say stick with it - its a well made product and a real steal right now at 189.

HOLA4410
My advice is get yourself a ram upgrade to 2mb and change the op system to win xp oem version which you can get for about £70 ram less than £20. I use the same notebook hp2133 and it is really good with XP. You can check out www.hp2133guide.com for further info regarding your machine - as I understand it there are issues around linux and the wireless side of things on this machine but I stand to be corrected - google it and you will be amazed what info is available on the almost perfect notebook.

Whatever you do don't give up on the hp2133 - like I say it runs great with XP.

Also Ubuntu has a good few issues - mine refused to accept the install - you can try it from a usb or cdrom live session without installing it on your hard drive - I certainly couldn't get it to work though i think it is possible but a difficult install.

Like I say stick with it - its a well made product and a real steal right now at 189.

I could duck out and give it to my bro' in law to put XP on, just wanted to resolve it myself and see if suse is OK. Nice bit of kit though Vic eh?

HOLA4411
OK got a nice shiny HP notebook, (189 quid) arrived today, thought I'd just turn it on, put in the same code the kids have used for their x-box and wii etc (we have a secured network at home) and I'd be up and running. Phoned my mate Sashkin in an HP Indian call centre; top bloke mailed me instructions, followed them but it wants; ip addy, access this that and the other. Have done start> run> on my original laptop to get that black DOS box thingy up with a load of code but stuck, any help? TIA

Try this dude

http://www.ipchicken.com/

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
get on the web, it's loaded the suse linux op OK, just need to get on line. Wanted to stick with linux for a change TBH, and see if its OK

I don't know enough about modern Linux desktop to help (I only use it on servers atm), but you might want to try posting on the SUSE forums/newsgroups. Linux distros usually have pretty passionate and loyal followings, so they will probably fall over one another to help! :)

HOLA4414
Guest vicmac64
I could duck out and give it to my bro' in law to put XP on, just wanted to resolve it myself and see if suse is OK. Nice bit of kit though Vic eh?

Its one of the best designed machines and it oozes quality, its going skiing with me and I will shoot photos wirelessly to it the screen res is incredible on a machine this size, the keyboard perfect its just atop qual piece of kit for travelling with.

The only downsides is the slowish processor generates a lot of heat (mine came with vista loaded and 1 meg of ram £239 from dabs) but youtube videos were a non starter. So I tired linux but couldn't get ubuntu on (suse is behind the times and I think you will tire quickly with its foibles) ...

So then I had no option but try xp and it is really really good with xp - its not fast but it is fast enough to do anything I will need to do - youtube plays great as long as there are no other programs running.

I am using it right now - wow what a keyboard!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
type ipconfig in the black Dos BOX or ipconfig /help

Copy the Subnet Mask, Default Gateway because they won't change.

The IP just change the last 3 digits to a number not being used by the xbox

or other computers, say between 20 and 50

ok, on the mail the lad from hp sent me I'm at stage 8, asking for network name and encryption key, once I've done that it should be disco and I'm on. any ideas?

HOLA4417
type ipconfig in the black Dos BOX or ipconfig /help

Copy the Subnet Mask, Default Gateway because they won't change.

The IP just change the last 3 digits to a number not being used by the xbox

or other computers, say between 20 and 50

ifconfig in linux, surely. Don't give up!

ED: Never felt better since I moved all household machines to Linux.

(Ubuntu, because if you ask a silly question you'll get a sensible answer.)

Edited by yellerKat

HOLA4418

??

All modern linuxes do GUI network configuration. You should only need to hit the command shell when things go wrong or it doesn't work.

Due to being a commited Debianite, I can't give much advice for Suse. There should be a system configuration menu entry somewhere on the GUI though. Have a hunt.

(Is this site any use? http://www.hp2133guide.com/ )

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
ok, on the mail the lad from hp sent me I'm at stage 8, asking for network name and encryption key, once I've done that it should be disco and I'm on. any ideas?

And you're sure he's from HP

Just checking :huh:

You're giving the guy access crackers can only dream about.

Edited by slurms mackenzie

HOLA4421

(see bold)

You need to click Start -> Run

Type: cmd

Type ipconfig /all

This will give you the IP, subnet mask, DNS server, default gateway etc!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I did but I'm not clear where you are in this process. Are you trying to work out the network name of the wireless router, i.e. the SSID? Have you found the program that is asking you to input the SSID and encrypted key (26 hexadecimal value) and can't find the values to put in it?

hi bud, did you see my last post?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Right click on the desktop and look for a option called "Terminal", check the start bar equivalents, icon is usually just a black monitor. you'll end up looking at something like a DOS prompt (single coloured window with a big text box), bash "/sbin/ifconfig" in there and it'll spit all the details. "ifconfig" on it's own might work fine to be honest. If you've got a wired connection on the laptop as well that's detailed under the label "eth0", there's an "internal" network connection labeled "lo" but the wireless will be labeled "ath0", "wifi0" or "wlan0"?

"ifconfig" is the same as Window's "ipconfig" in the DOS box and in fact produces nigh on identical output so once you find the terminal program (DOS box) you should be sorted. Try copying the terminal program onto the desktop when you find it as it's always useful to have handy.

Cool?