House Price Crash Forum

Selling Your House.......

HOLA441

Here's an object lesson in how to sell a house:

Expat Forum

tracey.d

Can't believe it.

My neighbour also has her house up for sale. Hers was up with a different estate agent. She has rang me several times (i know she only lives next door  ) to ask me to make sure I let her know what's happening with my house, have I had any viewers etc. She has also asked me on several occasions not to drop the price of my house and that if we stick together we will be alright blah, blah. She doesn't want to drop the price of her house etc.

Last week she changed agents to the same one I am using. Have spoke to them this morning to see what's happening with mine and asked what next doors is up for. She has dropped it to £20,000 less than mine  .

Am really peed off with her as she never mentioned it to me. Not that she has to I know but as I have been so open and honest with her when she has quizzed me about mine I thought that it would work both ways.

Estate agent has hinted that I should keep mine at the price it's at now as the interiors are different. But, at the end of the day it is a semi so structurally the same as hers. I can't afford to drop mine that much as this is my nest egg for mine and my kids future. Really don't know what to do. I can't take much more stress. Am even considering taking it off the market and giving up, but this is mine and the kids dream to go to Australia  .

The selling strategy has one major flaw: that of ignoring market signals. The seed of that now fading dream was probably sown by a property tv programme.

HOLA442
Here's an object lesson in how to sell a house:

Expat Forum

tracey.d

The selling strategy has one major flaw: that of ignoring market signals. The seed of that now fading dream was probably sown by a property tv programme.

If it has large enough equity to be a nest egg then she can afford to drop the price. She could just have a slightly smaller nest egg, maybe houses shouldnt be used as investment properties to gain nest eggs.

I hope her greed forces the market to fall away from underneath her, just have no sympathy for people like her. We all want a nest egg, we all want our kids to have the best start in life , she has had a hope given to her that she maybe able to have this future for her kids without her lifting a finger, but EVEN with this 'oppotunity' of cashing in she was too financially devoid to act upon it.

fvck her and all like her.

hopefully another one for the pyre

Burn baby burn.

HOLA443
HOLA444
im not usually angry but i totally agree with the chuz on this one.

she expects her dream to be fuelled by some young families property cost nightmare.

and yet she feels 'stressed' she cant 'cash in' on them.

She expects her nest egg to be laid by a first time buyer, I expect!

Other forum members aren't doing so well either:

Paylia:

Right - we now have an offer  but after being on the market for 4 months the offer is £45k below our current asking price  and thats after we reduced it by £25k  sprachlos040.gifSo this is where the agent has to earn his fee or earn my wrath and negotiate it up to somewhere near asking.

Fingers crossed he can do it - time is getting short now.

Other forum members describe such an offer as insulting and tell Paylia to 'tell em where to stick it'.

HOLA445

Sounds like this expat is experiencing the reality of the current market firsthand...

Right - we now have an offer  but after being on the market for 4 months the offer is £45k below our current asking price  and thats after we reduced it by £25k  So this is where the agent has to earn his fee or earn my wrath and negotiate it up to somewhere near asking.

Fingers crossed he can do it - time is getting short now.

Original asking price £320,000 (Feb 2005), current asking price £295,000 offer £250,000. That pesky stamp duty!

http://britishexpats.com/classifieds/showp...=1&cat=7&page=1

HOLA446
HOLA447

So they haven't ruled out accepting an offer £70k below their original asking price (£320k)

If that goes through, we're talking a 22% drop.

In 3 months!! :blink::blink:

I didn't find the house on nethouseprices

42 Stallingborough Road, Immingham

However:

number 40 (detached) sold for £206k in August 2004

number 44 (detached) sold for £125k in August 2001

number 42a(detached) sold for £42k in April 2000.

So maybe more a case of unfounded perceptions of the house's true worth, than a market crash, but this is really going to throw sentiment out the window.

Edited by BandWagon

HOLA448

Today a poster called cantwait comments:

Estate agent said last this week, they sold 4 houses last wk, 6 the wk before and 2 the wk before that normally they sell around 20 a wk this time of year so i know thing's are really bad, but why just when it's time to sell our's and on top of that the aussie doller is bad.

She says she needs some karma!

Expat Forum

Another poster has posted a link to this site, but has incurred the wrath of some would-be expats.

Edited by The Axiomatic

HOLA449

I have no real sympathy for her either, but there is a really pathetic and sad mean-spiritedness from many of the posters on this site.

She's a lazy greedy cow, but come on she's only trying to acheive what we all want... to live well while not being compelled to do a job we hate (some people need to give up work to acheive this, others can switch from a job they hate to a lower paid one they like).

Celebrate the fact that prices are coming dow to realistic levels where it is rational to buy a house (it is wonderful having your own place and you will have one day, the market can't be so off trend for ever). But why be so vindictive about people not doing as well as they were hoping to?

There is a real snobbery that you are all so clever and right, remind yourselves what comes before a fall and keep questioning everything!

FF

HOLA4410
I have no real sympathy for her either, but there is a really pathetic and sad mean-spiritedness from many of the posters on this site.

She's a lazy greedy cow, but come on she's only trying to acheive what we all want... to live well while not being compelled to do a job we hate (some people need to give up work to acheive this, others can switch from a job they hate to a lower paid one they like).

Celebrate the fact that prices are coming dow to realistic levels where it is rational to buy a house (it is wonderful having your own place and you will have one day, the market can't be so off trend for ever).  But why be so vindictive about people not doing as well as they were hoping to?

There is a real snobbery that you are all so clever and right, remind yourselves what comes before a fall and keep questioning everything!

FF

I do have sympathy for the people trying to sell their house, but I think that the Expat forum is a good barometer of the market and a counterpoint to the articles that are written in newspapers. I am pleased for people who achieve their goal of moving abroad, but I fear that some people have been given false hope.

HOLA4411

Celebrate the fact that prices are coming dow to realistic levels where it is rational to buy a house (it is wonderful having your own place and you will have one day, the market can't be so off trend for ever).  But why be so vindictive about people not doing as well as they were hoping to?

FF

Nah FF, I have no problem with people milking other people for all thier worth really dosnt bother me because like ive said in the past i would do the same.

The issue i take with people like her is that instead of being happy that they now have an extra 100K (value plucked from air) for doing absolutly nothing at all, she/he/they have a moan because they think that they should have 150K and not a measly 100K.

Its like me wanting to retire at 30 by trying to sell something for 5 times what its worth.. which is fair enough if i can find some mug to buy it.. but i wouldnt build my dreams and hopes of the future on it and then whine about no one buying it.

Its not that i think that i am so clever and right.. i know i am :)

People and thier pathetic little ways p*ss me off. Intellectual capacity's of goldfish who walk through thier meaningless existances with only irrational emotions to guide them.

I really do believe in live and let live, i really dont care how people want to live thier lives its entirely up to them.I Just dont think much to f*ckin idiots is all.

HOLA4412

FF

It is the tone that we respond to. I just went to read the thread- the author describes herself as being peed off with her neighbour, who is in her eighties, because this neighbour has dropped her price, and this neighbour's dropping her price will result in her getting less. There's a definite undercurrent of feeling sabotaged by her (presumably less greedy?) neighbour, and that she has now lost 20k which she feels entitled to. It's this feeling of entitlement that I object to.

I'm sorry to say that I felt like smacking the poster after reading it. That's definitely an emotional (not a rational) response. If the post had had the tone of "oh well, that's life, I lost 20k and that sucks but that's life", I'm pretty sure I would have felt differently. Mean-spiritedness invites mean-spiritedness.

Anyway, I also want to live well without doing a job I hate, so I went and got a job that I like very much. I am not depending on my house increasing in price to live well without expecting to work for it. Yes there are people who buy property and renovate it and expect to make a profit, but they're working for it- I object to the expectation that people are entitled to make large sums of money just by living in a house they own for two years.