House Price Crash Forum

Birmingham And Nearby Towns

Alfie Moon

HOLA441

4 beds det going for 450 - 475 down there late 2007 so the one you refer must be fully kitted i guess all the trimmings big drive garden the lot, just consider schools as private is well pricey and like someone said very snobby not in a good way all fur coat no knickers round there.

HOLA442
4 beds det going for 450 - 475 down there late 2007 so the one you refer must be fully kitted i guess all the trimmings big drive garden the lot, just consider schools as private is well pricey and like someone said very snobby not in a good way all fur coat no knickers round there.

ha ha - know what you mean. Been doing a bit more research (land registry, neighbors and so on) and this one is definately over priced (even for todays market).

Thanks for the replies!!

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA443
HOLA444
Solihull is one of the poshest suburbs of Brum. In fact most of them deny they are from Birmingham (the 0121 phone code gives it away though)

Solihull traditionally holds up better than almost anywhere else in the West Midlands due to it's desirability and proximity to open countryside.

Funny thing is that Solihull actually translates into "pig sty on a hill" in Saxon - and they really don't like that one !

Coming from Solihull I can, in all sincerity say, we are not bothered in the slightest. In fact it is found rather amusing.

Prices in Shirley seem to be coming down quite significantly. I have been looking at semi-detached houses just off union road and they are around 20% down on what they used to be going for at the moment. More to come I fancy.

HOLA445
Birmingham Mail on 16 December 2008 reports that the developers of this development have gone bust.See this

White Fire developments are the company that has gone into administration. Interesting that the website above says that all the flats are sold.

Who would want to live in the middle of the A45?

Next to a petrol station for good measure. The coventry road goes either side of these boxes and is beset with traffic jams. Sheldon is an okay area, nothing to write home about.

How much are they going for ?

Edited by manterik

HOLA446
Next to a petrol station for good measure. The coventry road goes either side of these boxes and is beset with traffic jams. Sheldon is an okay area, nothing

How much are they going for ?

I don't what happens now, I guess they won't be finished for some time now, if ever? If that website is to be believed they were all sold off plan. Surely that can't be correct?

• 3 months later...
HOLA447

I'm interested in the Wolverhampton/Walsall/Oldbury side of Brum.

Asking prices seem to be dropping slowly but huge differences in asking prices are also apparent, (some people still thinking they can get peak plus 25%)

lots of sold SSTC going back to available etc

HOLA448

A mate of mine has just bought a flat in Stratford upon Avon.

It was on the market since last year and originally started off at £175K.

He offered £105K and they accepted.

I still think he's nuts though...

I'm in one of the better bits of Solihull and my next door neighbour had her 2 bedroom bungalow (and one of the beds is quite small) valued last year at £350K.

They paid £124K back in 1994.

Who pays £350K for a 2 bed bungalow? I think prices have got a long way to drop yet.

HOLA449
A mate of mine has just bought a flat in Stratford upon Avon.

It was on the market since last year and originally started off at £175K.

He offered £105K and they accepted.

I still think he's nuts though...

I'm in one of the better bits of Solihull and my next door neighbour had her 2 bedroom bungalow (and one of the beds is quite small) valued last year at £350K.

They paid £124K back in 1994.

Who pays £350K for a 2 bed bungalow? I think prices have got a long way to drop yet.

Hi Spot, which bits of Solihull would you recommend? I'm interested in not-huge detached houses, nothing modern. Considering Hall Green and Moseley too.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4410
Yep,

Im watching Birmingham closely, although just in the price bracket that im interested 150k and below.

I reckon around 30/35% have seen a reduction since I started monitoring using Property Bee.

Most between 1-5k, with a large number of 5k reductions.

Im also seeing more and more 10-15k reductions, with 10k reductions not uncommon. Additionally, some 20k reductions on generally flats.

I seem to be getting a bigger proportion of discounts of a greater amount in the "nicer" areas, such as Sutton Coldfield and Solihull. The crappier areas seem to have not cut their price as much and as frequently!

Its now possible to buy a comparable property in Solihull and Aston for around the same price!! Madness.

I still can't get my head around some of the flat prices. Some are still holding out for 150k for a 2 x bed flat (that looks horrible from the outside)....while others are slashing their price down hugely.

Selly Oak has been interesting: huge numbers of new properties for sale in the last month. As it is a huge student area, Im assuming that many BTL's are trying to do a runner.

Additionally, the number of properties being sold with no onward chain is astonishing. The photos show they are vacant. Again, indicative of BTLs legging it.

One new build block I have been watching out towards Bham airport, has gone from being offered for 150k for 1 bed flat (or 200k for 2), to being offered for 62.5k for 50% share on part buy / rent. The block has been for sale for months (24 flats, and they have sold only 4 in a year I believe). Housing associations are going to have a field day picking up bargains, and I guess this is just the beggining.

If anyone wants any more detail on Birmingham (FTB prices sub 150k), feel free to PM me. Ive got most of Birmingham covered, and have done since 31st Jan.

Xmas this year: we'll start to see more and more distressed sellers. The spring bounce that hasnt happened will turn into a summer selling frenzy, dragging more and more into negative equity.

It will be interesting.

hi mate

i am looking to buy 4 bed detached new build at bovis homes at great barr..

do u have any idea...the listed price is 340k ..they are ok for 315k

pls give u r views

thanks in advance

HOLA4411
hi mate

i am looking to buy 4 bed detached new build at bovis homes at great barr..

do u have any idea...the listed price is 340k ..they are ok for 315k

pls give u r views

thanks in advance

Great Barr is pleasant enough but that does sound horribly overpriced to me.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4414

Can someone give me an honest appraisal of the quality of life in the towns on the mainline from Gloucester to Birmingham. Thinking of relocating.

In particular would like to know about Malvern, Worcester, Droitwich, Bromsgrove. I.e those towns nearer Brum.

Looking for somewhere 'nice' for kids, good state schools, value for money property (not just price - obviously I know Malvern is expensive 'cos it is nice). For example, Rightmove has Droitwich a bit more expensive than Bromsgrove 192k for a semi versus 190k - does that mean it is a 'bit' better?

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4415

In one of the places stated as on watchlist by OP we've just had a house sold on our road that has broken through 2007 peak.

I don't want to give too much away for obvious reasons.

Peak price was paid in mid 2007, I think on a three-bed semi in a nice part of town but busy road.

This has just gone sold, so plenty of opportunity to fall through. Any way I can check price paid without waiting months for LR?

Price reportedly paid is 5% above peak.

This is comparing like for like - there are loads of identical houses on this road.