House Price Crash Forum

Btl As A Business

S S

HOLA441

Because that form of supposed entrepreneurial initiative produces precisely nothing, whereas building Audis, VWs etc makes them Europe's most powerful economy. We can't get rich by cutting each other's hair. Groan.

A very valid point, I don't see how private landlords are the key to boosting the economy.

Lower house prices and associated costs would be a much better, and simpler idea as ppl would have more money to spend.

Edited by tinbin

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I wonder how many are ROI BTLers ? I vaguely remember Belfast VI talking about ROI investors buying BTLs in Belfast.

Yep lots of ROI BTLers. I also know three personally who own in the holy lands. One has been trying to see for monts and months. No chance because 1: that ship has sailed and 2: they are shit holes.

HOLA444

Yep lots of ROI BTLers. I also know three personally who own in the holy lands. One has been trying to see for monts and months. No chance because 1: that ship has sailed and 2: they are shit holes.

i wouldnt buy there because of the parking issue, worse on road parking ever due to cheap commuters unwilling to pay for car parking, would well stress me out living there :blink:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Every chance of sales if prices are dropped enough - slash it, they will come.

I'd say £40,000 a go would get them shifted - that's where I'd be buying anyway. What do others think?

Drunken street football at 3a.m., anyone?

HOLA448

Every chance of sales if prices are dropped enough - slash it, they will come.

I'd say £40,000 a go would get them shifted - that's where I'd be buying anyway. What do others think?

Drunken street football at 3a.m., anyone?

dont think they will go down to £40,000 ever. some of these have 8-10 bedrooms so obviously used a student houses with a sink in each room, would probably have to gut every room, im not a builder but i'd imagine it would cost a lot

HOLA449

dont think they will go down to £40,000 ever. some of these have 8-10 bedrooms so obviously used a student houses with a sink in each room, would probably have to gut every room, im not a builder but i'd imagine it would cost a lot

The vast majority will be the 3-4 bed conversions with one of the "bedrooms" being down stairs. I think 40K is pretty realistic. The were previously 2 up 2 downs. Again it is a shithole with lots of vacant properties.

HOLA4410

The vast majority will be the 3-4 bed conversions with one of the "bedrooms" being down stairs. I think 40K is pretty realistic. The were previously 2 up 2 downs. Again it is a shithole with lots of vacant properties.

High vacancy suggests a low demand - can this be right? Either that or the landlords' idea of rental values is too optimistic.

Now that it's going to cost dozens of thousands to get through Queen's, I'd expect more students to be going home to Mammy in the evenings, which is going to lead to a decreased Ballystudent population. And postponed loss of virginity.

Edited by yadayada

HOLA4411

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/housing_benefit/

During 2010/11 we paid out a total of £573.3m in Housing Benefit. £211.9m was paid in respect of public sector claims and £361.4m in respect of private sector claims (this includes payments for housing association tenant claims).

This was an increase of 10.7% over the previous year. The number of people receiving Housing Benefit increased by 4.3% during the year to a total of 156,991 (68,121 in Housing Executive tenancies, 22,395 in housing association tenancies and 66,475 in the private rented sector).

In addition, a further £2.2m was paid to 17,867 Rate Relief claimants and £0.5m was paid to 4,147 Lone Pensioner Allowance claimants.

We continued our efforts to reduce the level of fraudulent claims and during the year 276 cases were referred to the Benefit Investigation Service of the Social Security Agency for investigation.

The level of overpayments increased from £23.4m to stand at £26.9m at the end of the year. During the year overpayments amounting to £18.4m were identified and £13.1m was recovered with a further £1.8m being written off.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I presume that if David Ford's prison reforms go ahead there are going to be a bunch of yield hungry ex-Screws putting their tax-free bungs into BTL?

Was thinking the same PJ , could be the last chance for savvy investors to find a greater fool

HOLA4414

I have a few BTLs, purchased in the last few years.they are new builds that yield about 11-12%. They are on repayment mortgages over 15 years.

I can safely say that the profit from them would not be enough to call it a 'business',even if I had 30 of them!. They are a long term investment that will make little profit until the mortgage is paid off.they are an investment that will provide a nice income in 15 years.

Unless someone has a large portfolio,probably 50+ houses,I don't know how they can rely on them for a good income today.and that's even if they are interest only,repaid over 25 years.

HOLA4415

I have a few BTLs, purchased in the last few years.they are new builds that yield about 11-12%. They are on repayment mortgages over 15 years.

I can safely say that the profit from them would not be enough to call it a 'business',even if I had 30 of them!. They are a long term investment that will make little profit until the mortgage is paid off.they are an investment that will provide a nice income in 15 years.

Unless someone has a large portfolio,probably 50+ houses,I don't know how they can rely on them for a good income today.and that's even if they are interest only,repaid over 25 years.

Repayment over 15 years and yield 12%. New builds???? What did you buy repos? I seriously haven't saw one single new build in any of my markets that would yield 12%.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Do you mean these dodgy 3 bedroom houses sale agreed a few days ago in the Ballymena area?

http://www.propertypal.com/search?sort=updatedHigh&max=75000&sta=saleAgreed&sta=sold&page=0&term=4724&pt=residential&st=sale

House 1, 3 bedroom house £50k DHSS tenant £94.33 per week £4905 pa + rates @ £608 pa total £5513 pa Gross yield 11%.

House 2, 3 bedroom house £48k DHSS tenant £94.33 per week £4905 pa + rates @ £376 pa total £5281 pa Gross yield 11%.

House 4, 3 bedroom house £40k DHSS tenant £94.33 per week £4905 pa + rates @ £645 pa total £5550 pa Gross yield 13.8%..

Minimum gross yield of 11% assuming the property sold for the asking price,sounds ok to me. But I would buy at auction or direct from the bank (i've been offered a few like for around £30k ish each.

As for lots and lots of BTL's in Ballymena. There's no more than in other similar areas.

Larne Area 58 available

Ballymoney Area 63 available

Ballymena Area 65 available

Carrickfergus Area 73 available

Coleraine Area 381available (big student area)

So which bank is offering btl houses at 30k then ?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

So which bank is offering btl houses at 30k then ?

Go speak to your bank, find out who deals with property disposal. Higher yield property deals aren't going to come looking for you.

What about this one?

http://www.propertypal.com/9-alexandra-park-ballymena/173566

Don't get me wrong it isn't a great area, but with £12k spent on it you could rent it to a DHSS'er. £94.33 per week £4905 pa + rates @ £243 pa total £5148 pa Gross yield 17%.

If you want to give value to the taxpayers you could rent it for £65 per week + rates and get a gross yield of 12%. I'm sure all the peeps on HPC would do that, or maybe not.

HOLA4423

Go speak to your bank, find out who deals with property disposal. Higher yield property deals aren't going to come looking for you.

What about this one?

http://www.propertypal.com/9-alexandra-park-ballymena/173566

Don't get me wrong it isn't a great area, but with £12k spent on it you could rent it to a DHSS'er. £94.33 per week £4905 pa + rates @ £243 pa total £5148 pa Gross yield 17%.

If you want to give value to the taxpayers you could rent it for £65 per week + rates and get a gross yield of 12%. I'm sure all the peeps on HPC would do that, or maybe not.

Sale Agreed in 4 days, someone must see value.

http://www.propertypal.com/9-alexandra-park-ballymena/173566/insight

Not such a bad area after all.

HOLA4424

Absolutely awful area and I'm not from Ballymena or anywhere near. Time to cut the crap SS and stop pretending that there are excellent investment opportunities for BTL landlords in Ballymena. Alexandra Park predominantly consists of burnt out shells so your nice renovated house, costing 17k plus 12k in refurb costs will seem like a shiny nice target to the scum who have burnt out the rest of the houses in the estate. Money down the pan to whoever is stupid enough to buy there. I can only guess they have connections and will make sure their house is never touched. These are the only type of people who can buy in sink estates like these, not you or me, unless you have connections... :ph34r:

HOLA4425

Absolutely awful area and I'm not from Ballymena or anywhere near. Time to cut the crap SS and stop pretending that there are excellent investment opportunities for BTL landlords in Ballymena. Alexandra Park predominantly consists of burnt out shells so your nice renovated house, costing 17k plus 12k in refurb costs will seem like a shiny nice target to the scum who have burnt out the rest of the houses in the estate. Money down the pan to whoever is stupid enough to buy there. I can only guess they have connections and will make sure their house is never touched. These are the only type of people who can buy in sink estates like these, not you or me, unless you have connections... :ph34r:

I didn't say it was a great area. I'm not pretending this is an excellent investment, however in reply to the previous post of where do you get a house for £30k i think this example fits within that discription.

"I can only guess they have connections and will make sure their house is never touched. These are the only type of people who can buy in sink estates like these"

Your accusation that the person who has bought the property (it's sale agreed) has in some way "connections" is staggeringly presumptuous, given that anyone could check ownership from land registry once the sale completes. You should know better for someone in your line of business. But obviously not.

Good luck.