House Price Crash Forum

Appointment To The Monetary Policy Committee

Mags

HOLA441

Just saw this. Apologies if it's already been posted...

APPOINTMENT TO THE MONETARY POLICY COMMITTEE

The Chancellor has today announced to the House of Commons the appointment of Professor David Blanchflower to the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) to succeed Steve Nickell. This appointment will take effect on 1 June 2006.

The Chancellor said:

"I am delighted that Professor David Blanchflower has agreed to join the Monetary Policy Committee. David is a world class labour market economist and brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the Committee.

"I would also like to pay tribute to Steve Nickell for serving with distinction for six years on the Committee. He has made a major contribution to the MPC and I wish him well for the future."

NOTES FOR EDITORS

1. David Blanchflower is the Bruce V Rauner Professor of Economics at Dartmouth College, a position to which he was appointed in 2001, and he has been a Professor of Economics at Dartmouth since 1993. He is also a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research, a Research Fellow at the Centre for Economic Studies at the University of Munich and a Research Fellow at the Institute for the Study of Labour (IZA) at the University of Bonn. He was previously an Associate Professor of Economics at Dartmouth from 1989 to 1993. He is a leading labour economist and has written numerous articles published in academic journals and has co-authored a number of books and consultancy reports. He was born in the UK and holds a bachelors degree from the University of Leicester, a masters degree from the University of Wales, both in economics, and a PhD from the University of London (Queen Mary and Westfield College). He attended Varndean Grammar School for Boys in Brighton and Cantonian High School in Cardiff.

2. Steve Nickell's current term of office ends on 31 May 2006. David Blanchflower will be appointed with effect from 1 June 2006 to 31 May 2009.

3. The Monetary Policy Committee makes operational decisions on interest rate policy. The Committee comprises the Governor of the Bank of England, the two deputy Governors, two members of the Bank with responsibility in the Bank for monetary policy and market operations and four outside members with relevant expertise who are appointed by the Chancellor. The Chancellor announced the establishment of the MPC as part of the new framework for monetary policy on 6 May 1997.

4. Members of the MPC are appointed to the Bank staff. However they may engage, with the permission of the Chancellor, in outside activities that do not present a conflict of interest.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

All I can really tell from that is that his ex-wife is a lesbian

Blanchflower v Blanchflower:

"In 2003 he filed for an "at fault" divorce from his wife Sian Blanchflower on the grounds that she was having an adulterous affair with another woman. Mrs. Blanchflower admitted that to the affair, but argued that the affair did not constitute adultery under New Hampshire law. [4] After a lower court initially sided with Mr. Blanchflower, the New Hampshire Supreme Court ruled in favor of Mrs. Blanchflower, concluding that adultery must involve sexual intercourse and that same-sex relations cannot constitute sexual intercourse in the 3-2 ruling, based on the 1961 edition of Webster's Third New International Dictionary. [5] Some gay-rights groups, who had filed briefs in favor of Mr. Blanchflower, condemned the ruling."

Quite an incredible ruling really.

Is he American, or a UK citizen attracted by the academic moolah in the US?

HOLA448
Guest Bart of Darkness
Quite an incredible ruling really.

I think I saw something similar on an episode of This Life.

Just goes to show that it's not just UK laws that don't move with the times.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411