House Price Crash Forum

What If You Buy Off Plan Now, But Builder Goes Bust?

HOLA441

Here's an interesting question. What happens if you secure yourself a good discount on new build offplan, but the builder (say Barratts) goes bust before they finish building it?

Do you lose your deposit? Or would you technically own the half built house/flat and have to finish it off yourself? - Or would you be able to get your money back from the administrators since they breached contract (though I would suspect that deposit money would already be spent)

Obviously safest thing is to not buy right now, but was just wondering...

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Here's an interesting question. What happens if you secure yourself a good discount on new build offplan, but the builder (say Barratts) goes bust before they finish building it?

Shouldn't the deposity bonded/insured in some way? That assumes the insurer doesn't go bust.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Do you lose your deposit? Or would you technically own the half built house/flat and have to finish it off yourself? - Or would you be able to get your money back from the administrators since they breached contract (though I would suspect that deposit money would already be spent)

Obviously safest thing is to not buy right now, but was just wondering...

You get what you deserve. I mean, seriously, why would anybody even think about buying "off plan" - or even on plan - at the moment. There's a reason they are trying to offloadsell these at an apparent "discount".

HOLA449

What happens if you take one of these percentage share deals with a builder that the govt seems so keen on promoting and the builder who owns 60% of your flat goes bust?

HOLA4410

You lose your deposit, unless perhaps you have paid with a visa. Same with furniture or holidays et al, if the supplier goes bust before delivery you are just another creditor, unless you have paid with a credit card or visa debit card. I wonder how long the credit card companies can continue to offer this protection? Also I think if you are buying anything to be delivered later you should try to pay with a credit card, cos if they won't accept credit cards it could be because they are considered likely to fail by the credit card companies, and therefore the credit card companies won't deal with them.