House Price Crash Forum

Wasps' Nest In The Loft

thegirlfrommarz

HOLA441

We think there's a wasps' nest in the loft of the house we moved into two weeks ago. I've noticed a lot of wasps coming in and out of the gap between the frame of the window and the wall, and I suspect they're going into the loft where they probably have a nest.

I spoke to the letting agent who first asked me to call the council as they will get rid of wasps for free. I checked with the council, who now charge £50, and reported this back to the agent. The agent said that she would sort it out, but called me back to say that wasps' nests are the tenant's responsibility.

I'm going to check my contract when I get back home, but in the meantime I wondered if any of you know whether it's usually the tenant's responsibility to get exterminators out. I admit I'm a bit annoyed about this as we've only been in the house two weeks, so chances are the nest was there when we moved in.

HOLA442
We think there's a wasps' nest in the loft of the house we moved into two weeks ago. I've noticed a lot of wasps coming in and out of the gap between the frame of the window and the wall, and I suspect they're going into the loft where they probably have a nest.

I spoke to the letting agent who first asked me to call the council as they will get rid of wasps for free. I checked with the council, who now charge £50, and reported this back to the agent. The agent said that she would sort it out, but called me back to say that wasps' nests are the tenant's responsibility.

I'm going to check my contract when I get back home, but in the meantime I wondered if any of you know whether it's usually the tenant's responsibility to get exterminators out. I admit I'm a bit annoyed about this as we've only been in the house two weeks, so chances are the nest was there when we moved in.

Its the tenants responsibility I am afraid, the general rules goes back to the words of Lord Denning in the 50's which imply the a tenant has to do the day to day jobs that a house holder would normally do like changing bulbs, tap washers and pest control.

Look at this way, if you had mice you would buy mice traps, if you have wasps, it is only you that suffers and so you need to deal with it.

HOLA443

If the nest was already there then it seems fair they should pay for it. Problem is it will be hard to prove it was already there. Suggest you get up there in some protective clothing and take photos, then post them to yourself and leave the envelope sealed as proof of date.

If the nest is large and established then you can argue that it couldn't have been constructed in the small time you have lived there.

Otherwise it is your responsibility to sort it out i'm afraid. We had mice in a house I lived in at uni. A few mousetraps in the kitchen eventually got the two mice that were living there, though the second one evaded me for some time after its buddy succumed to a crushed skull.

HOLA444

Thanks, Johnny and Matt. I wouldn't mind at all if we'd been living there for longer - it's just the fact that I suspect the wasps have been tenants for longer than we have that's irritating! Anyway, the agent has found someone who can sort it out for £40, which is £10 cheaper than the council, so I'll give them a ring.

HOLA445
Thanks, Johnny and Matt. I wouldn't mind at all if we'd been living there for longer - it's just the fact that I suspect the wasps have been tenants for longer than we have that's irritating! Anyway, the agent has found someone who can sort it out for £40, which is £10 cheaper than the council, so I'll give them a ring.

Pain isn't it, but it is just one of those things... better that being stung by the little terrors

HOLA446

A pain, I agree; but just be grateful it's not bees - as they're protected the exterminators won't have anything to do with them so you have to hunt down an enthusiast who wants them...

HOLA447

If it is up to the tenant to resolve pest problems, why do manchester council take this stance with mice?

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/...mp;pageNumber=3

*Please note

We do not treat the homes of private tenants for mice. Private tenants should report mice problems to their landlord. If the landlord or housing association is not prepared to carry out the treatment, then the tenant should contact us, providing us with all the landlord/housing association details, and we will write to the landlord or housing association.

FWIW they did a bloody good job, they came out to our flat 4 times to check and charged under £20.

Edited by daiking

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
In my experience the landlord paid, as their was clear damage to the facia boards allowing the wasps easy entry to the property.

If the facia boards etc are in good order wasps would not be able gain access

Hmmm, interesting. The wasps are getting into the house via a gap between the frame and the wall (all the other windows seem to be properly fitted). Unless the landlord blocks it up, we could potentially have this problem again next year.

HOLA4413

I rent a house and the LL did a couple of nests for me last year.

However, I noticed wasps going up to the roof a week ago and guessed there was a nest growing. I got in the loft myself dressed in rubber glooves and a cagool. I did the hood done up tight over my head, tucked the sleeves in the rubber gloves and tucked my trousers in my socks. ONLY MY FACE EXPOSED but I could have worn goggles and a face mask too.

I first sprayed the surface of the nest liberally with wasp spray to kill those I could see on the surface to eliminate the risk of being stung immediatley. I then got closer and sprayed a liberal coating of ant powder on the surface and around the entry hole. I then retreated for two hours while the wasps went mad. The secret is to get them to carry the ant powder back into the nest as that kills all the other wasps inside as well as the eggs, grubs and the queen.

I then went back two hours later and broke open the nest with a long pole and sprayed more ant powder into the broken nest. I will go up next week and scrape out the dead nest into a bucket. In fact wasps never return to a used or abandoned nest so I do not really need to but it is a bit of a mess. It was about the size of football but I have seen ones three times as big.

The Council will only send a man with a bag of ant powder to spray on the nest anyway so I thought why wait.

Of course this is a bit of a risk if you are allergic to wasp stings so if you wanted to copy me THIS IS ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK. It can be very dangerous in confined spaces if you are particularly sensitive to the effects of stings.

As a child I used to set wasps nest on fire with diesel and run away as fast as possible. That is NOT recommended.

Edited by Wad

HOLA4414

Have you actually noticed a lot of wasps coming in and out, or have you just noticed a wasp coming in and out a lot?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest anorthosite

I had a wasps nest in my attic once. They started getting into the house. I had a couple of Sarracenias at the windows, and they were very effective at getting rid of them :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Have you actually noticed a lot of wasps coming in and out, or have you just noticed a wasp coming in and out a lot?

:)

There's usually three or four coming in and out at the same time.

I've got the pest control guys coming round this afternoon to sort it out - I hope they aren't planning to use diesel (could be a little bit difficult to get our deposit back...) ;)

HOLA4420
Guest happy?
:)

There's usually three or four coming in and out at the same time.

I've got the pest control guys coming round this afternoon to sort it out - I hope they aren't planning to use diesel (could be a little bit difficult to get our deposit back...) ;)

You should bypass the agent and tell the landlord direct as he may well want to charge you for subletting.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

my last summer in my old bedsit (which was top floor of building) I had a wasp nest I think was possibly in the loft and coming through a gap somewhere, very bad as I had no other room to escape to, got stung while in bed. They showed up late august so was around a couple of weeks or so. Wasnt loads of them but usually 1-3 in the room. I also kept the window shut so was boiling hot incase they had a way in that way.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425