House Price Crash Forum

Halifax On Monday (poll To Boot)

HOLA441
Guest Bart of Darkness
I find this really strange and annoying that the stats (esp Nationwide) seem to just pop out at random.

You can't expect these temperamental creative types to produce copy on demand, their muse has to inspire them first.

The ideal music for the launch of the Halifax report.

HOLA442
HOLA443
The transaction numbers are getting so low that the figures are likely to be less meaningful than normal.

yes this is an excellent point...transactions are so low they are no longer a decent sample...the number this week could be anything...but not necessarily representative of anything.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Co-incidental "Barratt to reveal £100m writedown" as published http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...6/cnbarr106.xml, too much bad news in one day maybe.

A reasonable conclusion. Clearly someone decided they couldn't have Huw Edwards dropping a Halifax bomb and a Barratts bomb on the plebs at the same time for fear of widespread panic. You know the old trick: give 'em bad news all at once but drip feed the good stuff. They think the opposite.

Edited by Thucydides

HOLA4410

While we, on here are waiting for the Halifax HPI with interest. There are others who's investment depends on it:

HPI Linked Investments

Banks including Abbey, Barclays, Bradford & Bingley, Newcastle Building Society, Skipton Building Society and Saga are among those that have sold these bonds, which link profits to the value of the Halifax House Price Index (HHPI).

I must start my own bond;

Investments start at just £1

It will be based on 6 numbers between 1 and 49.

If they all come up I will double the investors money (that a 100% return)

BBC1 publish the index twice weekly.

HOLA4411

I believe they have employed the Zimbabwe electoral commission to do the sums.

When the numbers are not quite as required, it can take weeks. When the numbers are exactly as required, it takes a couple of hours.

Y

HOLA4412
I believe they have employed the Zimbabwe electoral commission to do the sums.

When the numbers are not quite as required, it can take weeks. When the numbers are exactly as required, it takes a couple of hours.

Y

Zimbabwe - hehehe. The problem is that when your reports are out pretty much on time as a matter of course, and then all of a sudden they are a week late, they lose legitimacy because of accusations of fiddling, etc. A lot of people will simply dismiss this report because we're now 25% on the way to the July one - uness that is going to a week late as well.

Edited by Thucydides

HOLA4413
Surprise, surprise - now changed to Tuesday

http://forexfactory.com/calendar.php

Perhaps they looked at the figures this morning and decided to sack the head of department, thus promoting his junior and have given him 24 hours to come up with something better.

No seriously I personally expect figures to be negative at about 1.2, but in the current climate this is only an indicator to a further downward trend given the lack of data they are using.

Edited by STRAPR08

HOLA4414
Perhaps they looked at the figures this morning and decided to sack the head of department, thus promoting his junior and have given him 24 hours to come up with something better.

You know, they'll probably be sacking a lot more than the head of department over the next 24 months. I imagine a lot of middle-management have sneaked down to Deck 19 and are currently fuelling their escape pods as we speak.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417