House Price Crash Forum

Kingston Upon Thames

HOLA441

Asking prices seem to be all over the place st the moment. This is on of the most ridiculous I have seen:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60246601.html

I wonder if this is a pricing error and should have been £1,199,950 instead of £1,999,950.

Palmer Crescent is a nice enough road, but probably a bit too central for some people, especially with the new mega-builds going up a few yards away. Even n this market, £2m for a semi there seems crazy when you look at what else that money buys you in the area.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, worried1 said:

Asking prices seem to be all over the place st the moment. This is on of the most ridiculous I have seen:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60246601.html

I wonder if this is a pricing error and should have been £1,199,950 instead of £1,999,950.

Palmer Crescent is a nice enough road, but probably a bit too central for some people, especially with the new mega-builds going up a few yards away. Even n this market, £2m for a semi there seems crazy when you look at what else that money buys you in the area.

Sure enough, this has been 'reduced' to £1,199,950 today!

If they leave it is a reduction, it will really screw up the Rightmove figures.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
13 hours ago, longgone said:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/43779287?search_identifier=207dfe647f51b826f7a2330c6cdaec04#YbYq3M1lbrdqkoXe.97

15k loss already before even negotiating :lol:

can`t see this being worth much more than 200k 

These were hugely overpriced to start with. This has never been a popular part of the area with good reason - it is quite industrial, without particularly easy access to the things you'd want to get to like stations, shopping, river etc.

HOLA446
13 minutes ago, worried1 said:

These were hugely overpriced to start with. This has never been a popular part of the area with good reason - it is quite industrial, without particularly easy access to the things you'd want to get to like stations, shopping, river etc.

well i remember  1 beds in st andrews square going for £200k in that 70`s block on the corner in 2013 . some fool paid 350k 18 months later for the same thing. 

it`s a horrible area i will give you that , 200k is probably its value in this crazy market.  

HOLA447

Hi KT people. What do you think about this 1-br flat and the street? Good size for a 1-br, allocated underground parking, it needs some work/cleaning but it's move in condition. It's very close to the station, share of freehold, there's a park (The Wood?) at the back of the building. However, it looks like it's next to some mixed/social housing buildings (Glenbuck Court and Glenbuck Studios) - how safe is the street? Any social stigma concerns? Budget is under £300K - for Surbiton that doesn't offer much else. Thank you. 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48429720.html

sold prices in the building: 
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/KT6-6DL.html

HOLA448
7 minutes ago, ktgal said:

Hi KT people. What do you think about this 1-br flat and the street? Good size for a 1-br, allocated underground parking, it needs some work/cleaning but it's move in condition. It's very close to the station, share of freehold, there's a park (The Wood?) at the back of the building. However, it looks like it's next to some mixed/social housing buildings (Glenbuck Court and Glenbuck Studios) - how safe is the street? Any social stigma concerns? Budget is under £300K - for Surbiton that doesn't offer much else. Thank you. 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-48429720.html

sold prices in the building: 
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/KT6-6DL.html

alright for 200k 

not a great location there is a nasty block next to it.

HOLA449
12 minutes ago, longgone said:

alright for 200k 

not a great location there is a nasty block next to it.

thanks - sadly that 200k isn't enough, not for Surbiton. 

what do you mean by nasty? noisy? dangerous? drugs? the street seemed quiet. 

HOLA4410
1 minute ago, ktgal said:

thanks - sadly that 200k isn't enough, not for Surbiton. 

what do you mean by nasty? noisy? dangerous? drugs? the street seemed quiet. 

you are at the start of a housing price crisis at the very max i would not go above 2012 selling prices i.e pre HTB .  but that is me 

aesthetics a side the other block looks unloved 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I vaguely know Surbiton, I live nearby.  Surbiton is very safe.  The first flat looks great and in a good area.  Sadly, after many many years of waiting for the crash, I too have come to the conclusion that the Government won't allow that to happen.  I think the best we can hope for is sticking prices or low reductions.  It's stupid money for a one bedroom flat...we all know that but what are the options?

Have you checked out the lease and service charges and ground rent?  Annoys me greatly that this isn't in with all the EA bumpf at the outset.  Annoys me more that England still has such an outdated freehold system.

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, quine said:

I vaguely know Surbiton, I live nearby.  Surbiton is very safe.  The first flat looks great and in a good area.  Sadly, after many many years of waiting for the crash, I too have come to the conclusion that the Government won't allow that to happen.  I think the best we can hope for is sticking prices or low reductions.  It's stupid money for a one bedroom flat...we all know that but what are the options?

Have you checked out the lease and service charges and ground rent?  Annoys me greatly that this isn't in with all the EA bumpf at the outset.  Annoys me more that England still has such an outdated freehold system.

it is not a  great area it is behind the station and surrounded by ugly looking blocks. there is a mini cab office behind the station with lots of drunkards waiting for cabs .

i would not buy a place there unless it was less than 225k 

HOLA4415

Service charges and ground rent are low. Lease is 89 years but it's a share of freehold, the owners of the flats have a property management company that owns the freehold apparently. I decided not to offer on it as it needs to much work. 

HOLA4416
22 hours ago, ktgal said:

Service charges and ground rent are low. Lease is 89 years but it's a share of freehold, the owners of the flats have a property management company that owns the freehold apparently. I decided not to offer on it as it needs to much work. 

89 years is very short  

electric only heating is very expensive also 

HOLA4417

Hi, how about this one? Please comment on the area, not on the actual flat itself and the cost... yes I know you'd all pay 150K rather than 300K :) 

I do realise it's close to the high-rises on Cambridge rd but not next to them. Is there a lot of noise/traffic from the football stadium? Smell from that sewage treatment facility (looks close on the map). Is safety a concern in that area? 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67120979.html

HOLA4418
39 minutes ago, ktgal said:

Hi, how about this one? Please comment on the area, not on the actual flat itself and the cost... yes I know you'd all pay 150K rather than 300K :) 

I do realise it's close to the high-rises on Cambridge rd but not next to them. Is there a lot of noise/traffic from the football stadium? Smell from that sewage treatment facility (looks close on the map). Is safety a concern in that area? 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67120979.html

rubbish area , rubbish flat far too small 500 sqft is a decent 1bed .2 bed LOL 

i offered 230k on this declined :lol: dreaded electric heating  http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65794373.html

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
2 hours ago, ktgal said:

hoping for @worried1 to comment :)

She'll tell it how it is. I don't know that area at all apart from driving up that road to go to ...I think it's Homebase or something similar.  Wouldn't be a nice main road to walk down because of traffic but maybe you are a constant driver.  TBH I think it would be more pleasant for you down nearer town.

HOLA4422
13 hours ago, ktgal said:

@longone you're not being very helpful. Why is it rubbish, the area? 

do you really need to ask ? have you viewed ? 

you pass the biggest council estate in kingston to get to it , it`s next to the sewer works and there is a cemetery across the road.

i would not want to walk back to that after a night out .

keep looking 

HOLA4423

When/if you do find something you like bear in mind that the market is not moving as fast as it used to be.  I've spoken to a few EAs in the past month or so and they all say that the market is slowing.  Two has specifically mentioned New Malden (don't know if that is of interest to you).  One said to me that I shouldn't be worried about making an offer (meaning low offer).

HOLA4424

Of the flats mentioned, I think I'd take the one behind Surbiton station, but if it were me, I'd heed longgone's advice and keep looking.

I am seeing a real change slightly higher up the market in the most sought-after roads. If it continues, I'd expect it to lead to some better flats than this coming to the market at this type of price and hopefully less. Bear in mind, I am constantly wrong on this though!

I am not a massive fan of the area behind the station, due to the ugly blocks, noisy taxi firms etc., but Surbiton station is so busy that it causes problems on both sides. I walk out of the front of the station at all times of the day and night and it is not until I get passed Waitrose that it starts to feel like 'my area' again. That is the price of having a busy, fast station on your doorstep. There are massive upsides as well, but I wouldn't want to live too close to the station itself.

It is still massively preferable to livIng on Cambridge Road in my opinion. There is still a lot of trouble on the Cambridge Estate and the whole thing is due to be razed in the coming years to create even more dense housing. I am sure it will improve the area in the long term, but it will take years to do and I don't think you'd want to live there whilst it is being done.

Also, it is not close enough to any facilities. Both Norbiton and New Malden stations are too far to be convenient, and it really is barren for decent shops, pubs and restaurants compared to Surbiton and Kingston.

Edited by worried1

HOLA4425