House Price Crash Forum

Local House Prices

HOLA441

I think the Golden Triangle got its name from the Estate Agents from 20-25 years ago. Aptly named because its a pricey part of Norwich. I think the so-called 'triangle' stretches from Dereham Road in the West to Ipswich Road to the south.

The only reasons I can think of why that part is quite pricey is because of its proximity to the N & N hospital (the former site and the new site) and the UEA - and the city centre, of course.

HOLA442

Nowadays, the Golden Triangle is the area within Earlham Road out to Ipswich Road, and out as far as the UEA - although it used to be Newmarket to Ipswich Road, and out as far as Lime Tree...

It (apparently) was named the Golden Triangle, as it was the area that - due to the wind direction - you could smell the delicious aromas from the chocolate factory!

I remember as a small girl going to chapelfield gardens - we would have to go and look at the crocuses - but the star attraction was the fact that the whole place smelt of chocolate... That and the fab clock - it didn't work very often, but was great when it did. It now sits looking very forlorn and sorry for itself at the top of Castle Mall - they really should do something about it...

There's a Silver Triangle too (or at least in the property pages), although I don't know the area that it's supposed to be...

HOLA443
HOLA444
It (apparently) was named the Golden Triangle, as it was the area that - due to the wind direction - you could smell the delicious aromas from the chocolate factory!

:lol: They should have called it the chocolate triangle, then. ;) I remember the smell from the chocolate factory, it was lovely! :)

There's a Silver Triangle too (or at least in the property pages), although I don't know the area that it's supposed to be...

The silver triangle is the Silver Road area I think, where prices are much more reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA445

Here's another one - I've put this one up, as it's similar to one Catflap posted a while ago (Probably in spring last year, a house on Lindford Drive)when we had a discussion about what prices should be based on salary multiples.

It's 54 Abinger Way, out in Eaton, and it sold for £149,950 in May 2004

I think it's fairly recent to the market, so we can see how long it takes to sell, and what it goes for in the end.

Edit to say it's currently on for £175k - but it's with Arnolds, and as per posts elsewhere, it's believed that they are a bit toppy when it comes to valuations....

Replying to this one - Zoopla says it sold on 11th June 2009 for £150,000.

So... In five years... a £50 profit!

(I'm not going to cloud that £50 with the taxes and expenses of it all, I'll just leave it at the £50... ;) )

HOLA446

Replying to this one - Zoopla says it sold on 11th June 2009 for £150,000.

So... In five years... a £50 profit!

(I'm not going to cloud that £50 with the taxes and expenses of it all, I'll just leave it at the £50... ;) )

Oh yes I remember that one (a friend once lived on Linford Drive I think it was) - hellishly pricey for just 2 bedrooms IMHO - especially back in 2004.

• 3 months later...
HOLA447
  • 1 month later...
HOLA448
HOLA449

Bit odd, it should be in the stats by now...

Do auctioned properties go through some other system or anything?

I'm currently seeing a few houses come back on the market that had previously been sold/taken off the market... I wish I'd kept track of a few of them, so I knew if they'd sold or not! Hey ho...

HOLA4410

Adding another house to the list to keep track of (for nothing but noseyness!)...

382 Unthank Road - Link current asking price £515k (originally on for £525k in May 09) was previously sold for £300k on 21/11/2003. It's not often houses on such roads are identified by their house number, and also recently(ish) sold.

The Unthank Rd one - Zoopla says it sold for £495k on 25th Sept 09 - less than 10% off the original asking.

Will have to go through the rest and see what's sold at some other point, but I thought I'd add this one on here...

Glorious Greenways yep! You know the one - sold at auction a while ago, it's been up for sale (and I think to rent at one point too...)since last June... it "sold" a few weeks ago, but now it's back on - Surprisingly reavailable!

Edit: It's 121 Greenways, sold at auction for £180,500

Edited by waitingandsaving

HOLA4411

Glorious Greenways yep! You know the one - sold at auction a while ago, it's been up for sale (and I think to rent at one point too...)since last June... it "sold" a few weeks ago, but now it's back on - Surprisingly reavailable!

Sale or no sale, I bet that the neighbours are relieved that the overgrown front garden and house is looking good.

You would think that they would fit a seat to that loo in picture 7, wouldn't you? :D

HOLA4412
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413

Perhaps you should offer £180,550 so they can make a £50 profit on it! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4414