Online Individual Insolvency Register

OLDFTB

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Some random sampling. People called Smith in Southampton throws up the following statistics (any errors are mine)

Totals by sex

Male 44

Female 38

Oldest 1937

Youngest 1984

DOB m f

1930s 1 0

1940s 3 3

1950s 7 5

1960s 18 9

1970s 7 13

1980s 3 4

unknown 6 3

What's interesting is that there is a very significant increase in the numbers of women in some form of bankruptcy - those with DOB in both the 1970's and 1980's women are in the majority.

This is far too small a sample to be accurate - but it confirms my suspicions - namely that debt advertising has been targeted at women.

HOLA447
This is far too small a sample to be accurate - but it confirms my suspicions - namely that debt advertising has been targeted at women.

Or everything was in the "wife's name." :lol:

Mind I did know a guy at work who was bankrupt and everything was in his wife's name.

bear in mind these people aren't all feckless spendaholics. Business's can fail, people can get ill and loose jobs etc. "There but for the grace of God..." and all that.

HOLA448

When you find taxi drivers going in to BTL its time to get out.

And thats what I ve found............

Type in "property" and search under trading names in all courts.

Theres a result second from bottom ---> Taxi driver went bankcrupt in early 2007 for carrying out a Property Letting Business.

OK do I now have to find a shoe shiner to prove its not a bubble? :lol:

Edit - more worryingly if you type in "taxi" - 9 out of 13 taxi drivers from 1993 onwards were made bankcrupt in 2007.

What does this mean - 2007 is a bad year for taxi drivers?

Edited by notanewmember

HOLA449

I m getting a bit worried here.

if you type in the surname "smith" and leave the the forename blank, then do a search in all courts.

You get 2595 hits.

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/IIRSearc...dingnamesearch=

The worrying thing is, you find overwhelmingly the bankcrupties and IVAs are in 2007, you get the odd data point going back to 1993, but not many.

The recession is here i believe.

I will make a absolute graph of the data [Time Vs Bankcruptcies] at some point.

Edited by notanewmember

HOLA4410

"The worrying thing is, you find overwhelmingly the bankcrupties and IVAs are in 2007, you get the odd data point going back to 1993, but not many.

The recession is here i believe."

Hold your horses.........the register only shows current bankruptcys (which last 12 months) - people who went bankrupt are then kept on the public register for a further 3 months and then removed. Because IVA's last 5 years - they will stay on the register for much longer.

Basically if you went bankrupt in 2004 you will no longer be shown - if you took out an IVA then you will be.

But you are right........the recession is here.

For anyone thinking about bankruptcy......I've known a few people who wnet through it. Basically in the year after you file for it you are pretty fecked - even getting access to a basic bank account is difficult. However if you have gone bankrupt through business failure then you will get a much easier time of it (by the Official reciever) than you will if you go under through feckless spending or gambling.

Afterwards getting access to credit will be difficult for the years afterwards (not that you would necessarily want to - the bankrupts I know act very differently afterwards - so careful with cash and business dealings - if I was their bank manager I would galdly extend whatever credit a discharged bankrupt wanted because they would rather chew their arm off than go through it again) - getting a mortgage is near on impossible as well. However after 6 years it is removed completely from your file - so life does begin again eventually.

Edited by thefinalbear

HOLA4411
Hold your horses.........the register only shows current bankruptcys (which last 12 months) - people who went bankrupt are then kept on the public register for a further 3 months and then removed. Because IVA's last 5 years - they will stay on the register for much longer.

Basically if you went bankrupt in 2004 you will no longer be shown - if you took out an IVA then you will be.

But you are right........the recession is here.

OK, odd though some bankcrupt records have remained on there for years.

Will have to abort the research - maybe someone can find a use for the data - perhaps do age breakdown of who's going bankcrupt.

HOLA4412
I m getting a bit worried here.

if you type in the surname "smith" and leave the the forename blank, then do a search in all courts.

You get 2595 hits.

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/IIRSearc...dingnamesearch=

The worrying thing is, you find overwhelmingly the bankcrupties and IVAs are in 2007, you get the odd data point going back to 1993, but not many.

The recession is here i believe.

I will make a absolute graph of the data [Time Vs Bankcruptcies] at some point.

I take it that discharges are taken off the register.

HOLA4413

a very few bankrupts will remain that the official reciever has declined to discharge from bankruptcy. Reasons abound but hiding assets, fraud, legal issues etc can leave you un-discharged.

But once you are discharged you are off the public register. However your details will remain with credit ref agencies for 6 years afterwards. You will also have to tell official bodies who ask e.g: FSA, Law Society, OFT, accountants bodies etc etc......

Also after you are bankrupt you can no longer become an MP!!

Edited by thefinalbear

HOLA4414
Afterwards getting access to credit will be difficult for the years afterwards (not that you would necessarily want to - the bankrupts I know act very differently afterwards - so careful with cash and business dealings - if I was their bank manager I would galdly extend whatever credit a discharged bankrupt wanted because they would rather chew their arm off than go through it again) - getting a mortgage is near on impossible as well. However after 6 years it is removed completely from your file - so life does begin again eventually.

When I've applied to open bank accounts recently, one of the first questions they ask is 'have you ever been bankrupt', presumably this is a standard question.

So unless you are willing to commit fraud by denying it, it will always effect you in some way.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4415

"When I've applied to open bank accounts recently, one of the first questions they ask is 'have you ever been bankrupt', presumably this is a standard question.

So unless you are willing to commit fraud by denying it, it will always effect you in some way."

Of course - the question is asked by almost all official bodies - but you can get an account - not usually a visa debit or switch - more usually a solo/electron - the only problem faced is in the year while you are waiting to be discharged - its difficult to even get a basic account during this period. After you have been discharged you should have no problem getting a basic bank account (i.e solo/electron, accepts DD's etc....) just dont ask them for a loan!!

Edited by thefinalbear

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Or everything was in the "wife's name." :lol:

Mind I did know a guy at work who was bankrupt and everything was in his wife's name.

bear in mind these people aren't all feckless spendaholics. Business's can fail, people can get ill and loose jobs etc. "There but for the grace of God..." and all that.

Aye. Wouldn't disagree with that sentiment at all. The ethos behind the recent changes to bankruptcy was to encourage businesses to develop (and for this to happen some would need to fail). But I'm not sure that's been the effect of the change. Are we seeing more young women business start-ups with the consequent raise in business failures - or are we seeing women targeted as debtors?

The profile of smokers has shifted massively as tobacco companies unable to sell to men set about exploiting women - is this a similar phenomenon? Some real analysis of the data would be very useful.

HOLA4418
Or your partner, work mates, friends etc:

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/IIRMasterPage.asp

Found out from there that the brother ( a self employed builder) of an ex girlfriend of mine was made bankrupt in November last year. I also looked on Nethouseprices at the address he was trading from and it appears he bought it in October 2006 and it was repossessed only 8 months later! :blink: and he's now living in a council flat.

Shame really, the ex gf was a total b*tch but her brother was an ok fella.

Edited by Neil D Possitt