House Price Crash Forum

Northern Ireland Economy

Vespasian

HOLA441

NI jobless rate rises

http://www.u.tv/News/NI-jobless-rate-rises/f25a08f7-c4b9-44e8-8079-9328b1f06e25

Northern Ireland's unemployment rate has risen to 7.7% in the last quarter.

The rate was recorded for the period December - February 2014 and marked a rise of 0.4 percentage points from the previous quarter.

Self employed up 20k over the year. Tax credits.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA443
NI economy still lagging in growth compared to other UK regions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27207229

The Northern Ireland economy, while "well into recovery", is still lagging in growth compared to other UK regions, according to a new report. PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) stated the construction and retail sectors "remain depressed".

Its report also said there was "a hint of a two-stage recovery", where the unskilled and low-paid may still be feeling the recession. PwC expects the NI economy to grow by two percent this year and next.

Chief economist Esmond Birnie said: "Consumer confidence is at a five-year high and there is a general sense of optimism in the local economy." PwC's latest economic outlook also warned Northern Ireland remains overly reliant on the public sector, where further cutbacks are likely.

"While job creation during 2013 was very encouraging, considerable employment growth came from the public sector, where austerity will become tighter," Mr Birnie said.

"That suggests further public sector recruitment and investment may be constrained, placing the onus for growth on the private sector."

HOLA444
Builders' concern as recovery in sector slackens

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/builders-concern-as-recovery-in-sector-slackens-30229056.html

The pace of recovery for builders in Northern Ireland is slowing, spelling a bumpy road ahead for the construction sector, according to a body which represents the trade.

Louise Ward, services and public affairs executive of the Federation of Master Builders in Northern Ireland, said: "The results of our latest trade survey indicate that the worst may finally be over, but the building trade in the province still has a long way to go.

"We must not be complacent as consumer confidence is fragile and policymakers must do all they can to help stimulate growth in Northern Ireland." She added: "It is more important now than ever for the UK government to reduce Vat on housing renovation and repair to 5%.

"Independent research from Experian shows that this cut could result in 558 extra jobs in the Northern Irish economy and a stimulus effect of £13m in 2015 alone."

John Armstrong, managing director, Construction Employers Federation (CEF), said capital funding was needed to boost the construction sector.

"We call on the Northern Ireland Executive to set out clearly how it will spend the £1.6bn of capital funding this year and to adopt the Belfast Metropolitan Area Plan (BMAP) without any further delay.

"We also appeal to the relevant ministers to unlock outdated planning agreements that are preventing private house building."

The Northern Ireland Construction Bulletin, published earlier this month, revealed that construction output in the final quarter of 2013 decreased by 3.7% compared to the third quarter of 2013.

This figure was 7.6% lower than the same quarter in 2012 and represented the lowest level of quarterly output seen this century.

HOLA445
HOLA446
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Great news.

What are these £4,000 below the N.I. average?

InvestNI screws up yet again.

Moving from paying benefit for 130 people to receipt of PAYE & NI on £19k, not to mention the improvement to the economy that £2.5m in extra wages, pa will bring would suggest that this is actually a good thing.

You are ofcourse entitled to differ.

HOLA4411

Moving from paying benefit for 130 people to receipt of PAYE & NI on £19k, not to mention the improvement to the economy that £2.5m in extra wages, pa will bring would suggest that this is actually a good thing.

You are ofcourse entitled to differ.

2.5 million in extra wages? Did you remember to take into account the tax credit effect?

Must take a look at the employment register and see how many agency workers the company employs.

You thing Invest should be subsidising below average pay? I don't.

You are of course entitled to differ.

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

HOLA4412

2.5 million in extra wages? Did you remember to take into account the tax credit effect?

Must take a look at the employment register and see how many agency workers the company employs.

You thing Invest should be subsidising below average pay? I don't.

You are of course entitled to differ.

it is an interesting approach to take - 'the Government should only support employment proposals that pay above the regional average pay'. I assume that is your position.

Actually there is something to be said for your agreement on paper. However I can hear the howls of neglecting the young or manual workforce or basically the approximately (statistically) 50% who work for less than the average pay.

Even as average pay rises, statistically 50% will always be employed in jobs that pay less than the average.

Is it right to not support this 50%? I don’t think so.

There is the argument that those on 'below average pay' deserve more government assistance than those above.

HOLA4413

it is an interesting approach to take - 'the Government should only support employment proposals that pay above the regional average pay'. I assume that is your position.

Actually there is something to be said for your agreement on paper. However I can hear the howls of neglecting the young or manual workforce or basically the approximately (statistically) 50% who work for less than the average pay.

Even as average pay rises, statistically 50% will always be employed in jobs that pay less than the average.

Is it right to not support this 50%? I don’t think so.

There is the argument that those on 'below average pay' deserve more government assistance than those above.

The government already supports the below average group through wage top ups in the form of tax credits.

I don't think they should be supporting at business who's employees are already supported through inwork benefits.

It's a low average, perhaps a should replace "You thing Invest should be subsidising below average pay? I don't." with "you think invest should be supporting companies that offer low paid jobs that already need to be subsidised through the benefit system? I don't ".

These also the fact that it's a boom and bust company.

Not that long ago 30% of the workforce was made redundant. However that's another argument.

HOLA4414

The government already supports the below average group through wage top ups in the form of tax credits.

I don't think they should be supporting at business who's employees are already supported through inwork benefits.

It's a low average, perhaps a should replace "You thing Invest should be subsidising below average pay? I don't." with "you think invest should be supporting companies that offer low paid jobs that already need to be subsidised through the benefit system? I don't ".

These also the fact that it's a boom and bust company.

Not that long ago 30% of the workforce was made redundant. However that's another argument.

I support the increase in all employment, This obviously includes below average and above average employment. By its very nature you will always have half of the employment statistically above average pay and half below average pay.

For example, I would support apprentice job schemes where young and not so young are given the necessary training and job experience required to master their skills/trade. Undoubtedly the majority of these would be blow average pay until they have reached their full experience.

I am not sure if those on £19k attract tax credits etc.

HOLA4415

I support the increase in all employment, This obviously includes below average and above average employment. By its very nature you will always have half of the employment statistically above average pay and half below average pay.

For example, I would support apprentice job schemes where young and not so young are given the necessary training and job experience required to master their skills/trade. Undoubtedly the majority of these would be blow average pay until they have reached their full experience.

I am not sure if those on £19k attract tax credits etc.

I thought I said I should have replaced below average with low pay?

Take a look at the tables below, it's a real eye opener.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-credits-entitlement-tables-working-at-least-16-hours-and-paying-childcare/tax-credits-entitlement-tables-working-at-least-16-hours-and-paying-childcare

I realise you support "all employment", including non-contributory employment. We've had the service industry debate, but not all employment provides a net contribution. And our LEAs (InvestNI) should NOT subsidise companies that do not.

This does not create wealth, it creates state dependency.

HOLA4416

I thought I said I should have replaced below average with low pay?

Take a look at the tables below, it's a real eye opener.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-credits-entitlement-tables-working-at-least-16-hours-and-paying-childcare/tax-credits-entitlement-tables-working-at-least-16-hours-and-paying-childcare

I realise you support "all employment", including non-contributory employment. We've had the service industry debate, but not all employment provides a net contribution. And our LEAs (InvestNI) should NOT subsidise companies that do not.

This does not create wealth, it creates state dependency.

We are talking about 130 jobs paying £19k per an. I do not consider that 'low pay'. Below average yes.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Some people on this site seems to have not ever experience how much unemployment destroys you. In my 20s i was unemployed for less than year but and would have done anything for a "low pay" job like this at that time - if I lost my job now I would somehow learn how to survive on £19k. It would be great if all manufacturing jobs would pay over £21k but we are in a world of globalisation - it ain't going happen. Not all investni jobs can be high paying IT and consultant jobs because not all the current Northern Ireland unemployed are skilled for these jobs. Not every person employed in these jobs are going to have a partner with 2 children both in childcare.

HOLA4419

Some people on this site seems to have not ever experience how much unemployment destroys you. In my 20s i was unemployed for less than year but and would have done anything for a "low pay" job like this at that time - if I lost my job now I would somehow learn how to survive on £19k. It would be great if all manufacturing jobs would pay over £21k but we are in a world of globalisation - it ain't going happen. Not all investni jobs can be high paying IT and consultant jobs because not all the current Northern Ireland unemployed are skilled for these jobs. Not every person employed in these jobs are going to have a partner with 2 children both in childcare.

So because there are plenty of people "desperate" enough to take low paid jobs our Enterprise Agency should use its limited resources to subsidise them?

I don't think they should. Particularly not for a company that sacked twice as many people less than 5 years ago.

If you are going to target companies with a jobs fund, it's obviously better to pick and choose ones that pay above average. Targeting companies that pay Tesco like wages isn't the way to go.

HOLA4420

So because there are plenty of people "desperate" enough to take low paid jobs our Enterprise Agency should use its limited resources to subsidise them?

I don't think they should. Particularly not for a company that sacked twice as many people less than 5 years ago.

If you are going to target companies with a jobs fund, it's obviously better to pick and choose ones that pay above average. Targeting companies that pay Tesco like wages isn't the way to go.

I agree completely. Can these even be seen as new jobs considering the previous pay offs?

Surely some of these jobs will go back to the people who were previously laid off? Given our job climate I'm sure that some of them are still either unemployed, on zero hour or short term contracts else where. This means they are not even new jobs. Could be seen as just another way the government subsidizes companies wage bills.

19K is not a reasonable wage for any skilled job. Invest NI should prioritise highly skilled positions with average or above wages and if we don't have the skill set required for a particular company, then that company should be training to the required level in exchange for investment.

HOLA4421

£19k was the average. Some would be higher and some lower.

If my son came through his training as a welder or a fitter and walked into a £19k job I would be very happy. I know I entered employment as an engineer at well below the average income at the time and was very happy to get the job. As I progressed so did my income.

The bulge in the unemployment numbers in is the 18 to 24 age group. Basically your first job, and this, in my view is where we need the jobs at the moment. I don't think everyone can hope to enter employment at or above the average income. You generally hope to work your way up to that and if fortunate (to have the necessary ability) exceed it. An accountancy firm recently announced a few hundred new jobs at £38k, but these will be for professionals with 3rd level degrees and perhaps 10 years experience.

These jobs are also in the engineering and mainly export business. these are areas where we need to be supporting. The company can only offer jobs when it wins orders and contracts for busses. It competes on the international market for these contracts and must be competitive.

Yes they had to reduce its workforce [5] years ago due to a loss or orders. they had to make people redundant which was a disaster for those people and the area.

HOLA4422

If some people think that any person that takes a job paying £19k are desperate then they are entitled to have that opinion. This year there was 1000 people that applied for 30 restaurant jobs (zero hours?, part time?, low paid?). Again have a read of this

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/shocking-new-report-by-princes-trust-shines-light-on-link-with-youth-unemployment-and-depression-29882411.html

There was job losses at the firm a number of years but I think a lot of firms had a few problems at the same time. Think there was some kind problem in the world economy.

They seem to have increasing their employment by 150 in the last year

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/top-100-companies/company-list/38-wrightbus-29216324.html

The "Enterprise Agency" has limited resources but I think in the last 2 years it has handed back £40m. Don't think there is 100s of firms trying to invest just yet. When there is we can start insisting on high pay jobs but I don't think there will be many manufacturer jobs if we do

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

This seems to confirm what I've been saying for a while.

Dole office workers encouraging people to go self-employed, avoid signing on and getting significantly more money from tax credit benefits that JSA.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27794139

Service sector down a massive 1.1%.

Still good to see manufacturing jobs up.

Public sector only down 120? The recruitment freeze that never happened.