House Price Crash Forum

The Downside Of Diversity

HOLA441

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/art...sity/?page=full

IT HAS BECOME increasingly popular to speak of racial and ethnic diversity as a civic strength. From multicultural festivals to pronouncements from political leaders, the message is the same: our differences make us stronger.

But a massive new study, based on detailed interviews of nearly 30,000 people across America, has concluded just the opposite. Harvard political scientist Robert Putnam -- famous for "Bowling Alone," his 2000 book on declining civic engagement -- has found that the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings.

What some on here suspected has been confirmed by a liberal scholar, who's own views are pro-diversity.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Interesting findings. I would be cautious when interpreting this however. A large confounding factor is that of socio-economic hardship which is found in inner city 'diverse' areas. It may be that those in areas of poverty are less coherent irrespective of ethnic diversity.

HOLA443
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/art...sity/?page=full

What some on here suspected has been confirmed by a liberal scholar, who's own views are pro-diversity.

In other news, scientists were shocked to find that hungry hyenas and vultures would share food and co-operation only with their own species, often showing aggression to the others.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA444

Of course this would have nothing to do with the fact that the very places that are diverse are also poor.

This is cobblers. Diversity in nature is always a good thing and, on a personal note, I have enjoyed many wonderful times with people from different cultures who are somehow the same as myself.

"...has found that the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings. The study, the largest ever on civic engagement in America, found that virtually all measures of civic health are lower in more diverse settings."

So what? Who made him the arbiter of what matters? I used to teach guitar in Tottenham; none of us gave to charity, none of us volunteered, I did not vote. But I had a wonderful time.

Does that mean we had no value? We had strength all right. Don't let the fact that we were stoned twenty-four hours a day lead you to believe that we had nothing to offer. I was the only white guy for miles yet the only time I ever even heard the word 'race' was when some white do-gooder or some racist thug wanted a rise.

We should open ourselves up. The Afro-Caribean population has added untold wealth to this nation, in my book, as have the Asian and Muslim cultures.

I tire of this horseshit. Harvard Professor indeed. But can the guy play reggae? That's what I'd like to know.

The guy should be horsewhipped and made to listen to Bob Marley until the fcker gets it. (Does he have a bow tie that lights up, by the way?)

Edited by dstars

HOLA445
HOLA446
Is this place some kind of nazi stronghold or something?

Only when it comes to dressing up and spanking.

Give me a Transexual Asian Hitler any day.

HOLA447

Are you for real? By your own admission you were "the only white guy in Tottenham". Haven't you noticed that the UK has huge areas where different ethnicities are concentrated, where they like to live with their own people away from everyone else?

Haven't you noticed that there is very, very little inter-racial mixing in the UK? that people tend to have friends in the same group?

HOLA448

i don't think it's a nazi stronghold here, but the BNP are definitely far better represented here than in 'the real word'

have a look at the off topic forum and see how many pro BNP threads there are there; it's an eye opener.

HOLA449
Guest tbatst2000
Only when it comes to dressing up and spanking.

Give me a Transexual Asian Hitler any day.

Let's face it, whoever fantasized about being tied to the bed by someone dressed as a liberal?

HOLA4410
Interesting findings. I would be cautious when interpreting this however. A large confounding factor is that of socio-economic hardship which is found in inner city 'diverse' areas. It may be that those in areas of poverty are less coherent irrespective of ethnic diversity.

You're right, any conclusion drawn from social science studies are to be treated with caution. I found it interesting because in my view also multiculturalism is a plus. To be confronted by "evidence" to the contrary is difficult and I wondered what people made of it.

HOLA4411
Let's face it, whoever fantasized about being tied to the bed by someone dressed as a liberal?

"I'll only fan your **** with a kipper if you want me to."

HOLA4412
Are you for real? By your own admission you were "the only white guy in Tottenham". Haven't you noticed that the UK has huge areas where different ethnicities are concentrated, where they like to live with their own people away from everyone else?

Haven't you noticed that there is very, very little inter-racial mixing in the UK? that people tend to have friends in the same group?

He's too stoned to notice anything.

The rantings of a skunk addled brain destined for the psycho word, that thinks sitting around smoking weed and listening to tedious music with lyrics about god punishing the bald heads, is a constructive way to spend a day.

HOLA4413
You're right, any conclusion drawn from social science studies are to be treated with caution. I found it interesting because in my view also multiculturalism is a plus. To be confronted by "evidence" to the contrary is difficult and I wondered what people made of it.

Not sure, are you black?

HOLA4414

Yes, I'm for real. I couldn't give a shite what colour anyone is and I would never judge anyone by the colour of their their skin. It is only the content of one's character that matters to me.

If people live in enclaves, so what?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Is the richness of our culture Operation Trident, Black on Black Crime, stabbings, muggings all routine now. Gangland Bosses from Albania, old ladies beaten over the head with iron bars for a weeks pension.

Grow up, if we want to sample culture we get on a plane for 9.99p and spend a week there shagging the natives for less than the price of a postage stamp.

Anyone who can try to defend multiculturalism in the UK as some hugely successfull experiment is totally deluded and should go to see a headshrink.

Recent events showed everyone the great close knit society that we are, immigrants taking the water rations in Wheelbarows and selling it on street corners.

Now if thats community relations, God Fking Help Us!!!!.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Is the richness of our culture Operation Trident, Black on Black Crime, stabbings, muggings all routine now. Gangland Bosses from Albania, old ladies beaten over the head with iron bars for a weeks pension.

Grow up, if we want to sample culture we get on a plane for 9.99p and spend a week there shagging the natives for less than the price of a postage stamp.

Anyone who can try to defend multiculturalism in the UK as some hugely successfull experiment is totally deluded and should go to see a headshrink.

Recent events showed everyone the great close knit society that we are, immigrants taking the water rations in Wheelbarows and selling it on street corners.

Now if thats community relations, God Fking Help Us!!!!.

£9.99? Less than 27p? Do I have to collect vouchers from The Sun for this?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
OK, I give up, where's that a quote from?

Ming Campbell said it to me when I worked as his catamite.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Man has evolved over millions of years in tribes of about 70-80, the world is now vastly overpopulated and

most people quite understandably want to live in the wealthier more developed countries.

Although it goes against our nature, people of all races are going to have to learn to tolerate living with each other.

It is unavoidable unless we have some great disaster which kills off huge numbers of people.

HOLA4424
ooh but it's so exciting and "vibrant" living in the ghetto. The muggings, the beggers, the mentally ill roaming the streets, the crack heads. I just love our multicultural society.

yes, there was no poverty, no muggings, no begging or mental illness before these pesky foreigners moved here.

it was a white pride utopian dream where we all lived on nectar and honey and danced around maypoles and burnt the odd wickerman.

HOLA4425
Man has evolved over millions of years in tribes of about 70-80, the world is now vastly overpopulated and

most people quite understandably want to live in the wealthier more developed countries.

Although it goes against our nature, people of all races are going to have to learn to tolerate living with each other.

It is unavoidable unless we have some great disaster which kills off huge numbers of people.

Alternatively we could stop any further immigration.

Simple really.