House Price Crash Forum

Huge Rises In Travel Costs For 2007

HOLA441

I guess that especially in London this is partly to meet the cost of combating crime and potential terrorism and preparation for hosting the Olympic games

The high Tube charges on normal tickets are probably to coerce people into buying Oyster cards where ones personal details must be provided

It's a fact of life anyhow that travel fares only ever go up!

One's personal details do not need to be provided for Oyster cards. Only if you want to claim a refund if it's lost or stolen. Conspiracy theories even around tube tickets. Do you guys really believe this stuff?

HOLA442
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Well the guy who services my car has an oyster card that never runs out. He lives by a bus stop just within the Greater London Boundary and the only bus which services the route is a country bus which has no oyster reader. So he shows his card and the driver nods his head as the country routes entering the TFL area have to accept all TFL methods of payment. I`m sure many others who use these routes have picked up that little trick :)

I am shocked at the number of readers I find out of order in my area where the driver just nods them through.

HOLA443

As if going back to work wasn't painful enough this morning, my monthly travel went up by 7%. ... £352 a month instead of £329... steadily heading towards £400, I'm only 2 stops outside the M25, travelling to zone1 every day. What's the official inflation rate again? 2 point something?! Mine's around 10 - 15%

still, its a most agreeable experience on public transport, especially the little things like heartwarming displays of selflessness one sees from one's fellow commuters... so I can't moan really.

I guess that especially in London this is partly to meet the cost of combating crime and potential terrorism and preparation for hosting the Olympic games

The high Tube charges on normal tickets are probably to coerce people into buying Oyster cards where ones personal details must be provided

Red Ken also wants billions to extend the tube network into Hackney / Edmonton.

Personally I'd build a Berlin-wall style perimeter around them and not allow anyone out, but Ken obviously thinks mugging, gang rape and gun crime need to be spread a bit more evenly round the capital.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Well I must say I saw an amazing thing lunchtime. A young woman got on my bus and paid the £2 to travel one stop the grand distance of 200yds. :blink:

I refused to pay 70p a couple of years ago and walked the mile to town rather than pay the 70p and buy the bus.

I thought I'd sell substantially fewer tickets than normal today- in fact I sold 49; the most I ever sold when they were £1.50 was 53. I would have to be facing a walk of more than half an hour (or 2 miles or so) before I even considered paying £2 for a bus fare, but loads of people seem happy to cough up. One young lady wasn't very happy though- having failed to convince me that an old train ticket was valid for bus travel, she begrudgingly paid up with a quite impressive lack of good grace ("don't ****ing look at me like that, i'm gonna pay inn-i?"):D.

As an aside, AFAIK Oyster cards only need to be registered if you want to buy a season ticket valid for longer than a week. For weekly tickets and prepay you can just hand over your three quid and receive your card, which is what I did before I had a staff pass.

Edited by Rave

HOLA446

What no "travelfarecrash.co.uk"? :D

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

One's personal details do not need to be provided for Oyster cards. Only if you want to claim a refund if it's lost or stolen. Conspiracy theories even around tube tickets. Do you guys really believe this stuff?

Here is some information so people can make up their own minds about Oyster cards and personal details.

http://p10.hostingprod.com/@spyblog.org.uk...acy_policy.html