House Price Crash Forum

The Grocer - Grocery Prices Up 6.3% Yoy

munimula

HOLA441

Yes, there is such a magazine.

Just read a quote in MoneyWeek

Grocery prices have risen by 6.3% in the pasta year, with most rises occuring in the past month. Tesco has made the greatest hikes, with many winter fruits and vegetables costing 20% to 30% more than this time last year. While the supermarkets argue that poor harvests have forced a price rise, editor of The Grocer, Adam Leyland says that they are "using the opportunity not only to recoup their costs, but also to skim off extra profit".

Looks like could be more pressure on inflation figures

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I think 6% is an under estimate. My weekly shop used to be about £80 it is now always over £100. This is at Tesco. Even the staff have been telling me how they are noticing prices climbing.

Roll on Febraury rate rise of 1%. Oh well I can dream. No doubt inflation will be down because the price of imported memory sticks has fallen in the sales.

HOLA445

Yeah, but as Merv now thinks that mortgages are A-OK and not going to go 1989, then we can easily have a rate rise to cover this now.

Problem solved.

:D

That comment by Merv defies belief.

On exactly what grounds are mortgages OK? Does he know what FTBs now have to do to buy their own home? The two examples that I know that have bought this year require one salary just to pay the mortgage. Nothing else, just the mortgage.

Comments like that from Merv show that he is very far removed from the average person and has very little idea of what is going on.

I think 6% is an under estimate. My weekly shop used to be about £80 it is now always over £100. This is at Tesco. Even the staff have been telling me how they are noticing prices climbing.

Roll on Febraury rate rise of 1%. Oh well I can dream. No doubt inflation will be down because the price of imported memory sticks has fallen in the sales.

Yes, but the increase in food costs is something that people can see and this may result in wage-push inflation.

It's quite possible that with increasing food costs and the big increase in energy bills, council tax that 2007 will be the year that people start demanding decent wage increases.

That will put the cat amongst the pigeons.

HOLA446
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Ah, that would account for the predicted Christmas Spend this year. :)

Festive spending on plastic is set to reach £31.8 billion (which is an 11.6% increase on December 2005)

Tesco

Last month and this month.

Cox apples 99p £1-48p

Parsnips 99p £1-88p

Cabbage 45p 58p

Cauliflower 64p 88p

Carrots 74p £1-48p

Sprouts 74p £1-49p

Bacon 60p 72p

Sausages £2-09p £2-12p.

Beef £10-48p £12-49p

Turkey £2-98p £3-98p

Lamb £12-98p £13-98p

Weetabix £1-50p £2-18p

Special K £2-00p £2-57p

Conflakes £2-00p £2-58p

Bread 48p 54p

Cheese £1-29p £1-77p

Spaggy 99p £1-49p

Coffee £1-32p £2-64p

etc etc etc.

HOLA447
HOLA448
I think 6% is an under estimate. My weekly shop used to be about £80 it is now always over £100.

Prices at the local corner shop have certainly increased in the last couple of months: crisps up 5%, vegetable spring rolls up 10%, chicken samosas up 20%.

However, that's after a few years of barely moving.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Top tip: join a veggie box scheme. The price of my veggie box hasn't risen in the 5 months I've been in a scheme. Costs are easier to keep down because it is locally sourced, and the supplier is more ethical than the supermarkets.

Edited by bugged bunny

HOLA4411

yep, but this is mostly thanks to poor harvests etc. Potatos and wheat ate two that ive seen highlighted in the news recently as being hard hit - so yeah, expect the price of fish and chips and bread to increase. Im afriad this is just going to get worse as we head into a period of pressure on our resourcse. Some people here are keen to get house building and if that happens geesh we'll see things get worse and worse - one day people will realise the world has finite resources! Short of population control there's not much we can do, itll probably be OK in our lifetime, but as Stevie Hawkins was saying, time is running out for the future of our species on this planet. But hey lets forget about that, as I say, it shouldnt affect us so bad, its for another generation to deal with. Or is it? :rolleyes:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I don't why you guys are so surprised about these figures if you consider how much the money supply is increasing.

Also, isn't wage inflation predicted to rise above 5% next year?

I hope so because that should mean higher interest rates.

However, my girlfriend is a nurse and Gordon has told all nurses not to ask for more than 2% because then they will be helping keep the big bad inflation monster away.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Also, isn't wage inflation predicted to rise above 5% next year?

Yes and pigs will fly. Employers cancelled their charitable status in the mid 80s. :D

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I hope so because that should mean higher interest rates.

However, my girlfriend is a nurse and Gordon has told all nurses not to ask for more than 2% because then they will be helping keep the big bad inflation monster away.

Oh yes greedy , money obssesed nurses and teachers pushing inflation up with their massive pay claims .. thank heavens for those sober, puritanical, selfless bankers with their modest pay rises setting a fine example in restraint to the rest of us.

HOLA4419

Oh yes greedy , money obssesed nurses and teachers pushing inflation up with their massive pay claims .. thank heavens for those sober, puritanical, selfless bankers with their modest pay rises setting a fine example in restraint to the rest of us.

It is pretty disgusting I feel. Gordon is effectively asking them to take approx 2% wage cut when using RPI

HOLA4420