House Price Crash Forum

Saturday Itv Early Evening News

HOLA441
HOLA442

You cannot evict someone for non payment of rent. Only a court can do that.

You can issue them with a notice to leave but if they ignore that your only recourse for action is to go to the small claims court.

In the old days a tennant could play merry hell with a landlord as the costs to get them into court far outweighed the benefits.

Today most Landlords agents provide legal insurance for a few extra quid a month. This insurance guarantees payment of rent to the Landlord by the tennant and the Insurer will use unlimited resources to recover the debt no matter how small on the Landlords behalf.

A CCJ is applied when you fail to pay and go to court. As the name suggests County Court Judgement the court gives the debtor time to pay maybe in instalments. This clears the debt but leaves the debtor with a bad credit rating as all CCJ's are registered with Experian and another the name escapes me.

To remove a CCJ from your records is nigh on impossible and takes years.

HOLA443
HOLA444
...rah rah rah...dynamic voltage scaling and adaptive body biasing can go some way to reduce the energy consumed in these ICs. On top of this, there is quite a bit of wastage on the dynamic side, i.e inefficient calculations, sections of the chip not powered down...rah...

A translation for everyday folk

Moores Law is fcuked. At the moment it's a self fulfilling prophecy - companies have to do it or their competitors will get the business. It's quoted as doubling every 18 months but it does vary.

There comes a limit on how small you can get things, at 90 nm you are talking about 300 atoms wide. However you can do some clever shit with power management which might help.

Foundries to build chips at these tiny sizes are ******* expensive at $2 billion. That's $1m a day depreciation - more than BBB and TTRTR put together.

Why not design the damn things better instead of just expecting to be able to cram in more transistors on a chip? If we reach a limit on size people might put a bit more effort into this.

If you make stuff the same it's cheaper. Build a load of identical chips and just run different software on them. That works great.

DVDs are like razor blades. Invest in robot dogs.

:P

"Sensible Industries - a flashing blade through the jargon jungle"

HOLA445
HOLA446

Laurejon, you are talking out of your ar5e. It is very straightforward to evict an AST tenant for rent arrears, and does not involve a CCJ:

Landlords should note that it is a criminal offence to evict tenants other than by court action

Therefore you will require a judgement by the courts..... A CCJ County Court Judgement.

So no I am not making it up at all.

And it is not straight forward at all to evict a tennant and that Solicitor who you refer to should be shot as I just read her website.

It is usually very difficult if not impossible to enforce a money judgement against tenants after they have left the property. Frequently this is only possible if they are working and an attachment of earnings order can be obtained.

HOLA447
HOLA448
'Haven’t people been predicting the end of Moore’s law for years now?   

Technically it is not actually a law but more of a self fulfilling prophecy in which people expect this improvement so everyone has to work towards it or will be forced out of business by their competitors.

I think also it is often quoted that it doubles every 18 months, but it does vary over the years. But there comes a limit on how small you can get things, at 90 nm you are talking about 300 atoms wide.'

And it's not just a techie question, it's a social one.

A couple years ago, there was a problem for the computer industry known as the '500mhz' syndrome. A 500mhz PC become the point where Joe Average, who did a spot of word processing and excel, and a bit of web browsing, had his needs met.

My Mum is a big computer fan - she really digs the new iMac G5 and the 17" powerbook - but ultimately her 4-year-old 500hmz G3 copes admirably with her black and white DTP work, web browsing and scanning. Before, a computer would be 'really slow' after a couple of years at best. So the new machines are just something for her to gawp at rather than buy.

I use an 800mhz G4 Mac. It was an ex-demo machine. I have an Epson postscript proofing system and a proper entry level pre-press scanner, which was bought second hand. It all has a resale value of nothing much, but it's enough to complete a 256-page full-colour product catalogue.

To be fair Mac OS X, is a bit tardy in the GUI department sometimes on a sub 1ghz Mac, due to it being pdf, rather than simply bitmap based, but it's seldom enough to get me screaming for an upgrade, however amazing Apple make the G5.

The computer industry has tried to get away from simply promoting faster chips to promoting new opportunities like digital video, audio, photography, but this is a hard sell. Who really has the money or time to enjoy a digital video set-up?

On thing that excites me is the reduction in audio recording technology. When I was a kid I was seriously into home recording, hammering my little 4-track, which cost a whopping 450 quid. I used to read Sound On Sound, and calculated how much a decent ADAT based set-up would be. I think around 5-6k for something completely vanilla. You can do virtually the same thing with an audio interface costing 350 quid - less than the old cassette four track. With Logic 7 and a fast Mac you can replace thousands of pounds of outboard gear for a few hundred quid. I think there'll be some great music getting taped thanks to this kind of thing.

HOLA449
I suspect the reason Dell are pushing cheap technology, just like everyone else, is that one of the key drivers of this particular market is faltering slightly and is proving to be difficult to surmount.

Nothing whatsoever to do with house prices, but for interest I'll add my "techy" view here.  Moore's law (G. Moore = Chairman Emeritus and co-founder of Intel Corp) states that transistor count on your average silicon chip doubles every year.

State of the art at the moment is 12-inch / 300mm chip wafers.  In order to produce the same quantity of chips with twice as many transistors year after year, the feature size of these transistors has to fall.  Current size is 130nm.  This is falling to 90nm and will go to 65nm.  With this reduction, more than at any time in the past, comes real technical problems.  Static currents are a big problem, leading to high power inefficiency, heating, etc.  And the doping masks carry a 4500% price premium over the older, larger transistor size technology.

If you've noticed, we've been stuck at 3.X GHz PCs and 1.X GHz power-efficient (long battery life) notebooks for a good few years now.  Both Intel and AMD are having difficulty getting to the next big clock speed increase, and have recently dropped the "GHz" speed rating from their processors in favour of a "performance rating" just to confuse the consumer and stop them asking the fatal question "if it's not appreciably faster, why would I buy a new one?"

Expect big discounts on high-tech products in the future, and rapid price dropping to encourage take-up.  The need to achieve huge sales on items that are popular because of the "killer application" they encapsulate will be imperative to cover the increased cost of producing this new technology, to drive the market forward and to stimulate new demand.

This is fairly fundamental to worldwide economy.  If this doesn't happen, and we hit a technology brick wall where either the consumer can't be convinced to keep renewing their mobile phone, digital camera, hi-fi, TV, PC, every year or two or the feature size of silicon can't be reduced any further (and they are really, really pushing it with 65nm now), we'll have a major *major* worldwide recession me thinks.

At a time when people are talking about a global property market meltdown and a consumer credit meltdown not long after a global stock market crash, it could be disastrous... :(

Patient Waiter, great post. It is very insightful. Phil Fisher always emphasized the importance of R&D in this stock selections, and explained in his books that growth does not come smoothly year on year, but in spurts every few years. I guess we have hit a ceiling in silicon technology lately that will take some time to break through. Instead, the economy has been driven by the Starbucks and Pret-a-Mangers for the last few years.

Took a stroll down Regent St yesterday. Shops filled with designer clothes, expensive jewellery, and shoes (LOTS of shoes!), no better than cheaper and less flashy stuff a few years back. Does a £300 Burberry handbag really tell us anything about the quality of our GDP? DrBubb is very right about the "hollowed out" economy.

HOLA4410

I had to do the christmas shopping this week. My sisters shell out kids like there's no tomorrow so there I am in the Early Learning Centre:

Three for the price of two.

Surely the one time of the year a toy shop can make some money is christmas? :blink:

I definately smell a rat.

BTW I see we have have a few semicon people here. I guess you're all in R&D, there's hardly any fabs left in the Uk now. I'm still vaguely associated with it myself. I know it's still strictly manufacturing but it doesn't get much more high tech than a fab. Scotland lost out big time when NEC closed and the Hyundai fab never happened. Seriously well payed, highly skilled jobs were lost there. And I think LG started on a big one in Wales that never happened. Still this is what Tony and Gordon want I guess - knowledge based economy blah, blah....

HOLA4411
But the idea provided a means to an end.

The alternative is living in a sqaulid let with condensation streaming down the windows no hot water as you wait for the Landlord to get the boiler fixed over christmas.

So you withhold rental payment which earns you a CCJ thus reducing further your chances of getting onto the housing ladder.

Your renting the wrong places mate. My place is stunning and the equivalent of an average mortgage.

I'd be ringing the landlord nonstop day and night untill he came round and fixed it, while your 2 tenants move out leaving you £200 out of pocket and no money to fix the boiler which is your responsiblilty.

One thing which damages your chances of being on the property ladder far more than a CCJ ? bankrupcy when you get your house repossesed. A friend of mine has a CCJ and he didn't have a problem getting a mortgage from his bank. Don't doubt CCJ's are a nightmare but its a far better situation than bankrupcy.

I'd be happy to bet there are plenty more people getting CCJ's and being made bankrupt from property and debts they can't afford than tenants. As a landlord you need to think of your reputation.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
I wish I had another property and you were paying my mortgage for me.

Ha, laurejon , if you could find a property today where the rent would pay a repayment mortgage I will gladly correct every single one of the erroneous statements that you make for the next 4 years. And boy, do you make a lot of 'em.

HOLA4414

You need to come out of the mindset that only a repayment mortgage will do.

The money made in property has not been repayments it has been the capital gain.

Its comical that most people go for repayment then sell up five years later and then take another 25year term.

If they were really interested in no mortgage they would have taken a 20yr.

Interest only for many has been the difference over the last five years of whingeing their life away in rented properties and their mates who purchased and are now sitting on 150k of equity.

HOLA4415
The money made in property has not been repayments it has been the capital gain

No more capital gains for the forseeable. Still such a good idea?

most people go for repayment then sell up five years later and then take another 25year term.

Do they? That's a bit stupid. Do you have any evidence for this, or is it simply another one of those statements that you pulled out of your ar5e?

HOLA4416

Take a look at the evidence. People in their 50's with 15yrs left on the mortgage.

Another problem people have is that they consistantly withdraw their equity. They sell a property thinking they have made 60k and then keep 20k for treats and put 40k down on the next one.

The fact is that its all relative something you just dont understand. I and many others would be quite happy to sell a 200k 2 bed house for 20k if the next house was equally priced.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Of course they sell for whatever they can.

My point is that if you are already on the housing ladder its all relative.

What you sell for is what you pay for the same house.

If you sell for less than replacement value at the current price then you are on a loser. However if you sell something that was previously valued for 200k for 20k then purchase a very similar property for 20k then its not a problem is it?.

HOLA4419
The renters on the other hand have to open up the sun and find the money lenders pagers.

There you go again...a vast blanket swoop summing up of "renters". You really are a bigoted old fart aren't you. Every corner of your posts is riddled with prejudice, assumptions, bigotry, racism (yes I spotted that too), personal complacency and a kind of ignorant arrogance, i.e you know almost nothing but pretend to know everything.

VacantPossession

HOLA4420