House Price Crash Forum

Panorama Now: Right Time For A Baby

HOLA441

An major factor as to why I won't be having kids soon is that my mum would beat me round the head if I dared make her a grandmother before she was 60! So 10 years at least before I reproduce!

Now you see that's a mistake on your part as well, my mother is just 50 and was on the trampoline this afternoon wearing the children out for me so they'll sleep like Angels. My MIL was 62 when the eldest was born and cannot be trusted alone with the girls, mainly because she's a fecking idiot but also because she can't run fast enough to keep a 2 year old out of danger. Grandparents getting older is almost as much of a problem as parents getting older, it takes a villiage to raise a child.

HOLA442

With regards to Zaranna's post on page 1...

Couldnt have put it better myself!! Thats exactly how I feel!!

An no, Ritter, I will not plan to raise my children in rented property, I wish for something to pass on to my children when I am gone. I want to have more security than 'a months notice' and I want to know my wages are going somewhere rather than a Land Lords pocket...

I fully plan to keep working, keep saving and hopefully one day get out of renting and be able to afford a property to raise a family in.

I feel if I had a family now, I would be stuck in the 'renting rut' for many, many years to come!

HOLA443

I would have a baby like a bloody SHOT if I could afford the financial security of a home and enough money EITHER to pay for childcare OR to stay at home. I can't even afford a house NOW - even if I could I would need ALL of my salary and my husband's available to pay the f***ing mortgage (or even the rent) at these prices - so where does childcare come from?

What do YOU recommend I should do - bring it up in the woods??? For F***'s sake.

I recommend you become a religious freak. Then you can happily be fruitful and multiply, safe in the knowledge that "the lord will provide". (That'll be Lord Gordie).

HOLA444

Congratulations, lewissheridan.

We had ours a year ago. I agree , it's great.

There's never a right time to have kids, but things will work out. Nobody starves to death through poverty in the UK.

Is it me, or are there a lot of bitter people on this forum?

Your choices are yours. We grew up in rented accommodation and I can't see how it's been to our detriment. We never quite got what we wanted for christmas or birthdays, but again, I don't think that's all that damaging.

My parents will not leave me a huge fortune when they pass on, but what do I care? the way the population is aging I'll be 70 odd, and partially senial by then anyway.

HOLA445