House Price Crash Forum

North London : N21/ N14 / N13

HOLA441

Hello!

I'm new to this website. I'm wondering if anyone else is wondering what is happening to house prices in North London at the moment? :blink:

I'm a FTBer interested in purchasing a house in need of renovation and would like an idea of how much I should be able to negoiate off the asking price, and am also worried about prices coming down and being stuck with a lemon I guess! :(

All thoughts are welcome,

Thanks!

HOLA442

Just wait for the crash. The crash hasn't started yet although prices are slipping slightly. You will know that the crash has started, you won't fail to miss it since it occurs when the economy goes off the edge of a cliff. Just sit back and enjoy watching other people getting fried. Whats the hurry to buy a property anyway. People are only interested in buying property when prices are going up but prices are now falling, so why the interest in buying a property now. It surprises me that people can still afford to buy property at today's prices, since nobody seems to have any money.

HOLA443
HOLA444
I'm sick of wasting money on rent, and living in rented accommodation.  I've been waiting such a long time for prices to crash..... that in the end it seems like it will never happen...

I only have some money as I've saved, saved, saved for the last 6 years or so. :(

If you're sick of wasting money on rent, would you be happy to waste money on interest payments with the double whammy of seeing your capital depreciate? Rent or Mortgage interest - it's the same thing.

HOLA445
Guest Cletus VanDamme

Stay away from Palmers Green - it's becoming gun crime capital of North London at the moment. Southgate seems to be going down too. Winchmore Hill is always a safe bet, so far at least.

Cletus

HOLA446
Stay away from Palmers Green - it's becoming gun crime capital of North London at the moment. Southgate seems to be going down too. Winchmore Hill is always a safe bet, so far at least.

Cletus

was not aware that southgate was getting dodgy.

never really rated palmers green to be honest.

just steer clear at the moment is the best advice.

HOLA447
was not aware that southgate was getting dodgy.

never really rated palmers green to be honest.

just steer clear at the moment is the best advice.

Some bloke from the BBC got murdered at random when walking home in Southgate a couple of months ago. At least when I lived on Green Lanes (ugh) the local heroin traders just kept the stabbings amongst themselves...

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest Cletus VanDamme

There's always stuff in the local paper about Southgate Green now becoming a no-go area because of gangs. Recently, there have been more reports of violent crime and anti-social behaviour in Southgate than in Edmonton!

Cletus

HOLA4410
Some bloke from the BBC got murdered at random when walking home in Southgate a couple of months ago. At least when I lived on Green Lanes (ugh) the local heroin traders just kept the stabbings amongst themselves...

Unfortunately this sort of thing can happen anywhere.

Our local friendly ice-cream man got murdered by a couple of vagrants in leafy Golders Green last week :(

HOLA4411

I was brought up in the area and agree that Southgate is going downhill rapidly. One glance at the High Street will tell you all you need to know. A double-fronted KFC was the last large new tenant and now accompanies the charity shops, Wetherspoon, Asda, Wimpy and McDonalds.....all signs of an area in decline. Just wait until the estate agents move out! For whatever reason, the area has become a meeting point for all sorts of undesirables, most of whom I assume don't live in the area.

With regard to Palmers Green, I think the roads to the west of Green Lanes near Broomfield Park are still okay and despite the shocking murder of the BBC guy, the area around Southgate green will remain sought after. I would agree with a previous poster that most of Winchmore Hill will remain fine given the village atmosphere and station. However I think Highland Village will be a classic example of BTL bail-out and one to avoid buying in. Grange Park (in between Winchmore Hill and Enfield) is a nice quiet area with a station and is not as well known to potential buyers.

HOLA4412

Thanks guys. I live in Winchmore Hill but you posts have reminded me what southgate and palmers green are really like! I think if I can't buy in N21, then I will leave london completely...

I'm watching the house prices on the internet / EA windows very closely, and have noticed that most properties are now simply hanging around, some reductions, and the EA are starting to chase me up (first time ever!)

HOLA4413