House Price Crash Forum

Would You Buy A House With A Strnager - Bbc 1

HOLA441

Wow, this was hilarious!!

One girl thought renting was dead money and another girl thought she needed some foothold in the property ladder.

The get a survey done on a house. Needs some work done to it.

one girl wants to bad out dreadfully so uses these excuses to try and reduce the price.

The other girl desperate to get her 'OWN' house than starts having a go at her.

The girl who wanted out backs down and signs on dotted line.

1st day in, they argue like never before.

Within a week they want to put house back on the market.

LOL - what a waste of time.

The £70+ grand so put into the house she could have rented for another 20+ years.

BUT no manchester propertie prices have doubled in 5 years so lets jump in now. LOL

£140k later - choas.

ADVICE - NEVER BUY WITH A STRANGER!!

like renting - but with a big weight around your neck..

How F**king stupid are sheeple!!

HOLA442
Guest Fiddlesticks

It did make gripping TV though. Why didn't the uncertain girl just have the courage of her convictions and say "no" rather than trying to make up excuses not to go ahead which didn't work? I suspect she was under some sort of pressure from the producers - don't they have to agree to go through with the deal when they go on the programme? And why did the other girl bully her into it when it was clear that it would all end in tears?

Thank god I haven't reached those levels of desperation yet!

HOLA443

I was stunned by this programme.

You buy a house with a stranger - where is the advantage over renting and investing?

Even supposing prices continue to rise, what are they going to do in the future? The only consequence I could see of buying a house with someone that you don't know (and from the programme, don't like) is that they have complete control of whether you get to live in your own house in the future.

One person wants to sell, the other would like to stay but can't afford to buy the house outright so they are both forced to sell. smiley29.gif

Last night they took equal shares in a £134,000 house. With stamp duty a total of £135,400 and fees. 10% deposit split between them, approximately £6,500 each. After two years of near interest only mortgage payments and if the house rises by £20,000 (incredibly unlikely) they would still have a maximum of £9,000 each after fees. Profit but at what cost? They disliked each other before they decided to buy!

If the house falls in price and they are 'forced' to sell, they share the loss.

I've never seen a more stupid idea. Congratulations to the BBC for making a series out of the gross stupidity of young people. Everyone involved in the commissioning of this programme should be ashamed of themselves.

Xil.

HOLA444

I was stunned by this programme.

You buy a house with a stranger - where is the advantage over renting and investing?

Even supposing prices continue to rise, what are they going to do in the future? The only consequence I could see of buying a house with someone that you don't know (and from the programme, don't like) is that they have complete control of whether you get to live in your own house in the future.

One person wants to sell, the other would like to stay but can't afford to buy the house outright so they are both forced to sell. smiley29.gif

Last night they took equal shares in a £134,000 house. With stamp duty a total of £135,400 and fees. 10% deposit split between them, approximately £6,500 each. After two years of near interest only mortgage payments and if the house rises by £20,000 (incredibly unlikely) they would still have a maximum of £9,000 each after fees. Profit but at what cost? They disliked each other before they decided to buy!

If the house falls in price and they are 'forced' to sell, they share the loss.

I've never seen a more stupid idea. Congratulations to the BBC for making a series out of the gross stupidity of young people. Everyone involved in the commissioning of this programme should be ashamed of themselves.

Xil.

It all just shows (a) The level of shear desperation out there; and

(bb) The INCREDIBLE level of utter stupidity.

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA445

My despair at this programme can be found on another thead here......

I did say we should complain to RDF Media (the makers of the show), here is the link to their site and the details of programme:

http://www.rdfmedia.com/features/

Note the initial transmission date (BBC3) Autumn 2005.... When was this all actually filmed boys and girls - once again (a la Location. Location) we don't see a date as to when they were looking at the market - the market we all know has moved on - except for the sheeple out there.

This bloody lot also do the effing "How to be a property developer" programme.

Get on and complain - at least we should try and get them to put over more realistic economic message ("in a few years they will be able to buy their own places" pardonnez moi? How?) and get the date when it was filmed slapped all over the programme.

Rant out!

SH

HOLA446
HOLA447

Get on and complain - at least we should try and get them to put over more realistic economic message ("in a few years they will be able to buy their own places" pardonnez moi? How?) and get the date when it was filmed slapped all over the programme.

That particular message shows up in several 'house' programmes. I am amazed that the various codes of practice that govern television programmes allow such potentially dangerous advice to be shown without some form of context or disclaimer.

You are right; the date should be time-stamped on the filming throughout.

I cannot believe this is now being shown on BBC1 - even Sky would have turned it down for the high percentage of fantasy and misleading advice throughout.

I feel sorry for the buyers; they were tricked by the deceit in the housing market and the unsrupulous attitude of television companies.

Xil.

HOLA448

That particular message shows up in several 'house' programmes. I am amazed that the various codes of practice that govern television programmes allow such potentially dangerous advice to be shown without some form of context or disclaimer.

You are right; the date should be time-stamped on the filming throughout.

I cannot believe this is now being shown on BBC1 - even Sky would have turned it down for the high percentage of fantasy and misleading advice throughout.

I feel sorry for the buyers; they were tricked by the deceit in the housing market and the unsrupulous attitude of television companies.

Xil.

Come on if there was ever an advert not to buy a house with a Stranger this was one.

HOLA449

What's a 'strnager'? :blink:

If it was the same programme I watched, it should be 'stranger'.

It could be a copycat, similar programme on ITV8 - "Would you buy a house with a strangler?"

Don't know which is the better option really.......

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

have you seen

buy a house with a strangler...?

Dave Greenfield introduces potential roomates for the rest of the band. follow the ups and downs of an intergenerational rock supergroup and their roomates as they search to find that perfect first home.

Prefered 'Buy a House with a Pixie' myself.

HOLA4413