House Price Crash Forum

Cambuslang, Glasgow - Potential Purchase

HOLA441

Hi,

I am a first time poster so please be gentle.

I am considering selling up my Glasgow city centre apartment and purchasing a 4 bed new build by Persimmon in Cambuslang near Glasgow. Asking price is £270,000.

What are peoples view of Cambuslang?

HELP!

Thanks,

Ken.

HOLA442

Hi,

I used to spend a lot of time in Cambuslang when I was young as my gran lived there all her life. Some parts of Cambuslang are ok and some aren't the same as everywhere else. Good transport links into Glasgow and Hamilton, but £270,000 for a house n Cambuslang, its madness. A word of warning, my friend bought a persimmon (or might be Keir can't remember) house in East Kilbride 2 years ago for £140,000, 3 bedroomed detached, nice house, but she hates it says it is like living in a concrete jungle and wants to move, problem is she says there are a lot of houses up for sale in her estate and have been for a while and not shifting and I would say East Kilbride is more desirable then Cambuslang due to it's transport links to Glasgow etc, shopping facilities and leisure facilities, when my friend bought this house it was practically impossible to get one and now they are ten a penny. Think carefully before parting with your cash!!!

Edited by desperate housewife

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443

Avoid Halfway. It's a bit dodgy apparently. Also, most of the new builds are surely on sites of old factories. I wouldn't be wanting to grow my own veg in the garden.

I like Cambuslang and Rutherglen, especially the old sandstone detached and semi-detached 'villas' (hooses). It suffers from a bit of a reputation though, which is probably unwarranted, but I have heard stories of taxi drivers refusing to take you there, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt. They probably just can't be bothered with the distance.

You have good links into the city centre by train or road (M74, which will be being extended in the next few years (although we've been told that since the motorway was ever built)).

There's a been a lot of regeneration too, especially in the main street. I was quite surprised when I drove through it for the first time for a couple of years.

HOLA444

It's not in the Newton "Drumsargard Village" is it? Where abouts is it in Cambuslang? Some of the area is a bit ropey (I'm thinking up the top end by Cairns, and to the east heading towards Halfway as other poster has said). The area where they're building new flats at the corner of Dukes Road/Cambuslang Road as you head towards Rutherglen was a toxic waste dump with warning sites up for about 15years. I'm sure they've decontaminated it, but that's sort of par for the course for the area. If it's the ones up by Kirkhill Golf Course, then I can't really comment. Never seen them.

Great transport in Glasgow or out to Hamilton etc, but seems a massive price for the area, but I haven't looked there for a couple of years. Not sure what the schools are like, but Cathkin High has a pretty poor rep if you've got kids.

I'm from Burnside by the way.

HOLA445
HOLA446
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA447

Yeah, but it's not a FTB property is it? Maybe s/he's punting a 3-bed up a close in Shawlands and getting £170K!

It is up by Kirkhill golf course amongst the three new build developments.... done a reccie or two at different times of the day/evening...

Neighbours are all driving top end cars... no kids knocking about in the evening....

and I am selling off a city centre apartment to move to the burbs...

Ken.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA448
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA449

Are you a Go-Karting fan? They have a great track there.

I am absolutely a go-karting fan.... though my 13 stone heft has a considerable drag factor so I am not very good!!! :-)

Thanks everyone for your comments they are very much appreciated.

Ken

Edited by KenOH