House Price Crash Forum

Back in Town

Bob8

HOLA441

I have not been here much since about 2010. We had teh housing crash since then, and prices are still low so I have not really been back.

Are many from that time still around on here?

HOLA442
4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I have not been here much since about 2010. We had teh housing crash since then, and prices are still low so I have not really been back.

Are many from that time still around on here?

Load of people left about 2012 and formed another forum IIRC. Of course, they left because they liked kicking off and arguing. So once they left here they probably kicked off and argued on their own site instead. I think it is dead now but not sure.

Then another load of people left to form another site, can't remember maybe about 2016 or so. Probably because the tone of many discussions was taking a certain line which was not seen as desirable and there was beginning to be a lot of re-inforcement.

The glory days are now over. The volume posts seem mostly from a few die hard remainers going "eh Johnson, he's shit he is, cos he ain't helping me with my VI". Ad nauseum. Covid has injected some fresh life and some interesting discussion outside of this.

Still some gold to be had here and there though if you look, and who knows, maybe the site could be reborn with the right luck or the right guidance.

HOLA443
On 01/05/2020 at 17:54, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Load of people left about 2012 and formed another forum IIRC. Of course, they left because they liked kicking off and arguing. So once they left here they probably kicked off and argued on their own site instead. I think it is dead now but not sure.

Then another load of people left to form another site, can't remember maybe about 2016 or so. Probably because the tone of many discussions was taking a certain line which was not seen as desirable and there was beginning to be a lot of re-inforcement.

The glory days are now over. The volume posts seem mostly from a few die hard remainers going "eh Johnson, he's shit he is, cos he ain't helping me with my VI". Ad nauseum. Covid has injected some fresh life and some interesting discussion outside of this.

Still some gold to be had here and there though if you look, and who knows, maybe the site could be reborn with the right luck or the right guidance.

I remember the 2012 incident. I was kicked off and then told that was an error and I was lucky enough to be welcome back. I lost interest then.

Back in 2007 to 2008, it was a very topical forum. The graph on the front page was strong evidence a crash was coming. I did well from that. Now it is evidence that the crash has already happened.

It does seem there is a divide between those raging at a rigged economy and those whose views are a little more "gammon" (sorry to use the term). That does seem rather new.

HOLA444
10 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I remember the 2012 incident. I was kicked off and then told that was an error and I was lucky enough to be welcome back. I lost interest then.

Back in 2007 to 2008, it was a very topical forum. The graph on the front page was strong evidence a crash was coming. I did well from that. Now it is evidence that the crash has already happened.

It does seem there is a divide between those raging at a rigged economy and those whose views are a little more "gammon" (sorry to use the term). That does seem rather new.

I've been reading this forum on and off for quite a long time. The thing that has changed is that I think after 2008 when the predictions of many came to fruition (global credit bubble) people expected real change and affordable houses. Unfortunately governments globally just lowered rates and printed money. I know for me that was the final straw and I bought shortly after I realised the game was completely rigged.

A lot of those types seem to have disappeared and I suspect they probably did so for similar reasons. 

Gradually this site has become much more of a typical internet corner with the rather unintelligent "blame the foreigner" rhetoric now dominant (EU and immigrants are the bad guys), rather than the sort of original deeper discussions. I think that put a lot of people off too.

HOLA445
21 hours ago, dugsbody said:

I've been reading this forum on and off for quite a long time. The thing that has changed is that I think after 2008 when the predictions of many came to fruition (global credit bubble) people expected real change and affordable houses. Unfortunately governments globally just lowered rates and printed money. I know for me that was the final straw and I bought shortly after I realised the game was completely rigged.

A lot of those types seem to have disappeared and I suspect they probably did so for similar reasons. 

Gradually this site has become much more of a typical internet corner with the rather unintelligent "blame the foreigner" rhetoric now dominant (EU and immigrants are the bad guys), rather than the sort of original deeper discussions. I think that put a lot of people off too.

It does look like it. It is a shame.

Thanks for the update, both of you!

Archived