House Price Crash Forum

Chiswick Surrounding Areas

rocket

HOLA441

Im thinking of buying in Chiswick or around the area this year or next.

anyone know what the prices and area (i.e. any further new buildings, links etc) are doing at the moment, Id prefer a run down property that i can do up.

Edited by rocket

HOLA442

Funny enough this is one area I've been looking at (only for the last week though so can't really comment on prices). There appear to be a couple of reasonable schools in that area so prices in nearby roads ramp up quite a bit. Further out you'll get better prices (still high though). It seems a good area on paper - decent transport (zone 2 depending in station), near the river, etc.

From what I;ve seen online (going to drive around there in a couple of days) a lot of property is older, such as Edwardian. So buying a newer property may not be a good idea as people may expect the older style?

HOLA443

I think Chiswick itself is slightly over-rated. Apart from the Bedford Park area the housing quality isn't that great. But I suppose if you're looking to do up a property that may suit you. All of the decent parts of Chiswick are extremely popular and priced accordingly. Significantly cheaper towards Acton. The closer you get to South Acton though the higher the crime rate.

Personally I'd look at Ravenscourt area of Hammersmith - better housing quality. And still some roads where you can pick up an undeveloped property. Slightly further afield again is Shepherds Bush - south side is OK for example Stowe Rd. I'm not a great fan of Shepherds Bush and the Goldhawk Rd never seems that safe.

If you've a couple of million swilling around then buy a house in St Peters Square. Right on the Chiswick / Hammersmith border and a haven for TV / Film celebrities plus lots of old money too.

I lived there til last year - one of the very best bits of West London.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

thanks for the good info im going to have a look round the areas mentioned but also whats evryones thoughts on Isleworth. Also is anythong new being proposed for these areas that could add value to a property?

There are some nice houses in Isleworth, but mainly just past Syon house and facing the river. But apart from that it seems like a lifeless dump. There's some rough chav infested blocks, poor transport links, no decent shops and also the sewage works. I would stay away. Chiswick has much more going for it.

HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 1 month later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Brentford has undergone loads of development, but I still feel that it is overpriced by this development. There isn't much there, unlike Chiswick.

An are that I like is Brook Green. It inbetween Shepherds Bush, Hammersmith and West Kensington. Great location for transport and full of period buildings.

Anyone else know the area?

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Brentford has undergone loads of development, but I still feel that it is overpriced by this development. There isn't much there, unlike Chiswick.

An are that I like is Brook Green. It inbetween Shepherds Bush, Hammersmith and West Kensington. Great location for transport and full of period buildings.

Anyone else know the area?

Yeah, very well. We lived there for 12 years, STR'ed in 2004. It's an ok area depending on your tastes - when we bought it was still regarded as a bit run down, seedy - over the next 12 years the place turned into yuppie central (lots of 4x4s which the streets are just too narrow for). Prices are probably still crazy there - they shot up between 2002-2004 and I'd imagine, if it's a good property, are still high now. Good transport links and some good independent shops but all the pubs have gone gastro and there are a lot of self-congratulatory types round there (apologies for my obvious prejudices). Have you got any particular streets in mind?

HOLA4412

:unsure:

I am in the process of buying a garden flat in Chiswick moving bavk to london from the country, I could of bought a twee little house in Isleworth or Brentford for the same purchase price, as a flat but the plain fact was that transport links in Isleworth were not good, and even though just a couple of miles away its just not as appealing

Was a bit concerned to hear about the ""bolow estate" in a previous post AHHHH, tell me more the flat I am buying is just of the bollo lane,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

am due to sign contracts next week

Brook green I looked into and thought it quite good very near to Kensington, but just not green enough for me,

Ravenscourt prices I found were higher than Chiswick

HOLA4413

Brook Green has the central line so its prices will always hold better than Chiswick - City in 15 mins compared to the bottom crusher sway ride on the District and Piccadilly trains trundling through Chiswick.

Havealock Tavern was an oasis 10 years ago, sleepy village boozer vibe with musicians from the Sinclair Rd complex huddled in corners and the occasional subdued financier flicking through an FT.

All went to hell when Notting Hill got too expensive and the lawyer/media accountant crowd moved in.

These people bray. Nights in the pub left your ears ringing. Smug and celf-congratulatory indeed.

But Chiswick is dull in comparison, and the plane/M4 noise can be a killer - in particular the parts closer to the river.

Wonder if the Pope'sEye is still going...

HOLA4414

PopesEye is still there and very expensive. I'm wanting to stay in London, especially Brook Green when it comes to moving up to a house... but prices in Brook Green as just too expensive. 3 bed house nearing 700k... surely this can't be right for somewhere that is so near chepherda Bush and Hammersmith?

HOLA4415

PopesEye is still there and very expensive. I'm wanting to stay in London, especially Brook Green when it comes to moving up to a house... but prices in Brook Green as just too expensive. 3 bed house nearing 700k... surely this can't be right for somewhere that is so near chepherda Bush and Hammersmith?

Fraid so - just found out our old flat has come onto the market - we sold in 2004, so current owner has spent less than two years and is trying to get 290k for it (which, considering it's a one bedroom shoebox is laughable). But it occurred to me what's happening in W14 is that a lot of houses are already converted into flats, so the local population is pretty itinerant and moves around a lot. Our buyer is only trying to get some profit out of the place he bought from us because otherwise he probably won't make any money out of it at all.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Geez thats expensive.

Maybe you should look at other zone 2 areas as a comparison.