House Price Crash Forum

The Answer To The Nation’S Housing Crisis?

HOLA441

Britain needs more slums.

Sweeping away safety regulations to allow the creation of jerry-built slum dwellings designed for those who enjoy living cheek-by-jowl with their fellow poverty stricken. “Britain has a sore lack of proper slums,” argued Clifford, winner of the 18-21 age category of the Institute’s “Young Writer on Liberty” competition. “Government regulations designed to clamp down on ‘cowboy landlords’ restrict people’s ability to choose the kind of accommodation in which they want to live.” Clifford suggested that communal living would be more attractive to young people, admitting that he too was struggling to get on the housing ladder.

HOLA442

Britain needs more slums.

Sweeping away safety regulations to allow the creation of jerry-built slum dwellings designed for those who enjoy living cheek-by-jowl with their fellow poverty stricken. “Britain has a sore lack of proper slums,” argued Clifford, winner of the 18-21 age category of the Institute’s “Young Writer on Liberty” competition. “Government regulations designed to clamp down on ‘cowboy landlords’ restrict people’s ability to choose the kind of accommodation in which they want to live.” Clifford suggested that communal living would be more attractive to young people, admitting that he too was struggling to get on the housing ladder.

Is this satire? I'm on my third medicinal whisky and I just don't know any more

HOLA443
HOLA444

He has a point about lack of options, but it's via the Adam Smith Institute. Iain-Duncan Smith Institute would be more apt given its non-focus on Smith and Liberalism. There's nothing that can't be fixed by cutting regulation and planning for the IDSI. Even when the problem has sod all to do with regulation and planning, and everything with fixing ownership and property rights and responsibilities. But that would be a bit too Adam Smithy.

HOLA445

Yes what a brilliant idea, reintroduce the slum, that'll solve the housing problem. :rolleyes:

If he'd argued for the abolition of "you can't build a home there" planning permission and letting private individuals build their own home (i.e. your primary residence, so no letting and no flipping) on land they owned with only the core safety parts of building regs, he'd have made a good point.

People could be bunging up a house like this http://danmardomy.pl/en/produkt/danmar-ii/with 40sqm of living space (same as a typical 1 bed flat) for £6000 (I'm sure cheaper can be found). If land was available at the agricultural rate (c. £5000 per acre), plus the cost of getting utilities connected up and labour you could get change from a £15,000 (10-15%) deposit on a flat.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448