House Price Crash Forum

Man's Inhumanity To Animals

Bossybabe

HOLA441

You can get very good used dogs from dog recycling centres for a reasonable donation. They won't have a pedigree certificate though. I know several people who source their dogs that way. And then the dog has a good home.

Aren't most of them a bit bonkers though? Usually difficult breeds who's owners have taught bad behaviour? I'm sure there are exceptions but most people I know who had them seemed to spend most of their time trying to unteach bad habits. Or not as the case may be.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Aren't most of them a bit bonkers though? Usually difficult breeds who's owners have taught bad behaviour? I'm sure there are exceptions but most people I know who had them seemed to spend most of their time trying to unteach bad habits. Or not as the case may be.

I think it's the luck of the draw. My brother had a lovely rescue dog, calm, obedient and everything you could ask for. When she died he went and got another from the same place and this one is a friggin nightmare, runs off, attacks things etc.

We've just been passed over from adopting a small bitch, who would have come to us spade from a rescue because our male isn't castrated. Despite the fact that she'd have come to work with me all day, so rarely been alone, had daily walks, been well looked after clearly couldn't have a litter. They must have felt our male was going to be a problem.

Some of the rescue centres make you jump hoops for one of their problem dogs. We went to Dogs Trust recently and they all but scanned our retinas. We went to view a particular dog that happened to be out on a walk. When the walker was coming back with him we asked if we could come and say hello and she told us not to approach as he wasn't good with strangers!

Incidentally there now seems to be a lot of overseas dog rescues being set up in the UK. We don't have enough rescue dogs of our own so we're importing them now.

HOLA443

Not in my experience. I don't have dogs, so I'm a right old secondhand expert. A friend of mine does this and he's never seemed to have got a bonkers one. They are usually a bit timid to begin with. Maybe he just has that "blokes intuition" that can just spot a good one. Most recent one didn't like strangers at first, because, as he reckons, whenever she saw a stranger, she thought she was going to taken away again. Calmed down now. I can't get her off me when I visit. She always wants hugs. So a good one I think. I have to wear a leather jacket or I am combing hairs out of a wool one for weeks afterwards.

HOLA444

Well we will always get stories of 300 underfed dogs in a stinky basement, or some yobbos training dogs to fight each other, so they can feel "hard" by proxy, and maybe bet on it, but thankfully these are rare.

That extreme is rare, a few steps up is pretty common. A good proportion of people are unthinking, uncaring oxygen thieves who may not be deliberately cruel but are pretty much lacking in empathy and don't really care about cruelty (or anything else much).

HOLA445

Hardly a huge sum, in the scheme of things. I don't know how dogs homes make their money? Still, pedigree certificate, or not, you have the only one like that. ;)

I'm still smarting after the hike in crem charges to cremate the one that died - £90 to £170 in 14 months. Same weight of dog. My dogs will just have to stop dying. I can't afford it for a few years.

HOLA446

I think it's the luck of the draw. My brother had a lovely rescue dog, calm, obedient and everything you could ask for. When she died he went and got another from the same place and this one is a friggin nightmare, runs off, attacks things etc.

We've just been passed over from adopting a small bitch, who would have come to us spade from a rescue because our male isn't castrated. Despite the fact that she'd have come to work with me all day, so rarely been alone, had daily walks, been well looked after clearly couldn't have a litter. They must have felt our male was going to be a problem.

Some of the rescue centres make you jump hoops for one of their problem dogs. We went to Dogs Trust recently and they all but scanned our retinas. We went to view a particular dog that happened to be out on a walk. When the walker was coming back with him we asked if we could come and say hello and she told us not to approach as he wasn't good with strangers!

Incidentally there now seems to be a lot of overseas dog rescues being set up in the UK. We don't have enough rescue dogs of our own so we're importing them now.

They spay and castrate dogs as a matter of policy to prevent unwanted litters.

We've been importing greyhounds and lurchers from Eite for ages - they just don't have the animal charities to get the poor dogs off the streets when they're abandoned.

HOLA447

They spay and castrate dogs as a matter of policy to prevent unwanted litters.

We've been importing greyhounds and lurchers from Eite for ages - they just don't have the animal charities to get the poor dogs off the streets when they're abandoned.

Hmm, just what my friend has, but then he is from Yorkshire.

HOLA448

I've never heard a convincing argument for animal "rights". I think it needs to be distinguished from animal welfare. Having a duty of care towards animals is laudable, but trying to argue that animals have inalienable "rights", to me is ridiculous. On that basis, we should be policing the animal kingdom to stop any wrongdoing. Perhaps taking lions aside and giving them a stern talking to for killing too many antelopes, or for using inhumane methods of slaughter?

I agree that people who harm animals are nutjobs and generally the bullying type, but animals don't have a "right" to anything.

HOLA449

I've never heard a convincing argument for animal "rights".

Perhaps it's by analogy with the equally-silly notion of human "rights".

I think the 'merkin slogan of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" hits about the right level. We should not do gratuitous harm, but neither should we be obliged to go out of our way to help some nebulous "other".

Archived