House Price Crash Forum

Warner Telegraph Warns Markets Are Misreading The General Election Outcome.

HOLA441

''Will the last person left in Britain please turn out the lights''.

Pretty much saying what I have been saying on this forum these past few weeks...surely the Markets are reading the political situation wrong.

It does seem like the Markets are pricing in the dream ticket of Clegg/ Cameron, but really can't see it happening....looks to me like a loose coalition of Milibot and the SNP. And that's in spite of achieving the lowest unemployment and topping the GDP league table of any large EU country 2010-2015...some failure.

I doubt the Markets would be too concerned if Labour could get there on their own but with a super left alliance with the SNP I think that would be viewed differently. Let's face it spend spend left wing English haters have littered history with economic disasters from Juan Peron to Robert Mugabe...the answer to everything is spend spend spend isn't it. And the SNP have every interest in crashing UK plc. I guess things could be worse we could get Natalie Bennet with her fairy tale economics that would crash the UK economy even quicker.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/11546322/Will-the-last-person-to-leave-Britain-please-turn-out-the-lights.html

Edited by crashmonitor

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Pretty much saying what I have been saying on this forum these past few weeks...surely the Markets are reading the political situation wrong.

It does seem like the Markets are pricing in the dream ticket of Clegg/ Cameron, but really can't see it happening....looks to me like a loose coalition of Milibot and the SNP. And that's in spite of achieving the lowest unemployment and topping the GDP league table of any large EU country 2010-2015...some failure.

I doubt the Markets would be too concerned if Labour could get there on their own but with a super left alliance with the SNP I think that would be viewed differently. Let's face it spend spend left wing English haters have littered history with economic disasters from Juan Peron to Robert Mugabe...the answer to everything is spend spend spend isn't it. And the SNP have every interest in crashing UK plc. I guess things could be worse we could get Natalie Bennet with her fairy tale economics that would crash the UK economy even quicker.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/11546322/Will-the-last-person-to-leave-Britain-please-turn-out-the-lights.html

Any tiny chance I had of voting Tory evaporated with the new RTB giveaway/theft.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Any tiny chance I had of voting Tory evaporated with the new RTB giveaway/theft.

I was hoping for the LIb Dems to add a bit of sanity to an otherwise bonkers Tory agenda...but a status quo coaltion isn't going to happen. The Tories on their own would be very unsettling for the Markets also not least with a Brexit vote.

The IHT free family house was the last straw for me....enriching the haves and not providing any pay back for the National debt.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA445
HOLA446

"Natalie Bennet with her fairy tale economics...."

Land Value Tax, Citizens Income and Monetary Reform.

Sounds good to me. ;)

Citizen's income is crazy..,.I should be the last person to not like it....household gets not one penny in housing benefit, working tax credit, pension..zero, zilch.

But I realise that you would still need a quarter of the population on CI on speed.........the disabled would still need DLA, renters would still need housing benefit, the retired would still get a higher tier etc. etc.

How can it be affordable. Bennett would bankrupt the country in no time.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA447

Could be the coming crash will be soon after a Labour victory... those who hate Labour should surely hope they win this election? The long awaited crash finally happens, and Labour are forever more linked with it...

Good point SNP/ Milibot could be the HPC dream ticket.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Yeah, we're really living in a dream economy, apart from the small matter of most people under 45 having essentially no chance of accumulating significant capital in their lifetimes.

Cameron and Clegg spent 5 years ignoring the ever increasing number of have-nots, time to pay the price.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Citizen's income is crazy..,.

How can it be affordable.

Monetary reform = brings down the cost of housing back to what people can afford to pay instead of how much they can borrow, cost of basic existence goes down, CI doesn't need to be so high

Shifting tax base away from wages and onto land = encourages more productive economic activity to take place instead of unproductive rent farming

Citizens income = enables abolition of means-tested benefits and so removes poverty trap, always makes sense to work, encourages more productive economic activity

HOLA4412

Monetary reform = brings down the cost of housing back to what people can afford to pay instead of how much they can borrow, cost of basic existence goes down, CI doesn't need to be so high

Shifting tax base away from wages and onto land = encourages more productive economic activity to take place instead of unproductive rent farming

Citizens income = enables abolition of means-tested benefits and so removes poverty trap, always makes sense to work, encourages more productive economic activity

I'd vote green (yup, I still get a vote even thought I live overseas) if it was not for their mental pro immigration stance. It is SO illogical when set against all of their other goals, I just cannot see how they can justify it?

HOLA4413

I'd vote green (yup, I still get a vote even thought I live overseas) if it was not for their mental pro immigration stance. It is SO illogical when set against all of their other goals, I just cannot see how they can justify it?

Seems illogical for a migrant to be opposed to migration.

HOLA4414

Tory/LD coalition = crappy low-paid new jobs, rise of zero-hour contracts, stagnant wages, more and more government dependency via tax credits, £500Bn in borrowing over 5 years, lower tax receipts, high housing costs, rise of Aldi/poundshops, decimation of middle-market retail, 250K net immigration per year propping up GDP.

That's a success?

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Never understood why people think there will be another Tory coalition. The Lib Dem vote is going to collapse and even with the few UKIP seats and Northern Ireland they will not be able to get past 326, or only with a wafer thin majority. Going into another coalition with Lib Dems would also mean all their current election promises will be reneged upon as there is no way the Lib Dems will allow any changes to IHT, lowering the benefit cap, a referendum etc.

I also see a Labour/SNP alliance as the most likely outcome.

Cameron lost this election in 2012 when he reneged on Lords reform which he'd signed up to in the Coalition agreement. The Lib Dems retaliated by blocking boundary reform. Without boundary reform Cameron was never going to win GE2015.

Amazing that he picked preserving a failed institution full of useless aristocrats over winning a general election, but there you go. I guess those are the priorities of his social class.

HOLA4417

A Citizen's income is an excellent idea, but only if it comes with abolition of all means-tested benefits.

Is that really what Bennett&Co are proposing? It would leave today's unemployed a whole lot worse off and needing either to get work or to live real austerity (own bedroom? No chance!). Just look at the press stories of evictions if the housing benefits bandwagon suddenly stops!

Or are they looking at something that costs more but still retains all (or at least most of) the rottenness?

HOLA4418

100% agree - they're miles behind both the Greens and UKIP. Lib Dems are a total non-entity now. If Tories get in, they'll likely partner with UKIP.

Despite heading for 15% of the vote, FPTP means that UKIP will end up with fewer than 5 MPs, maybe just 1 or 2. UKIP are essentially worthless as a coalition partner. Under proportional representation UKIP would be walking into Westminster on May 8th with 90-100 MPs.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Which they've done by recategorizing half the unemployed as 'self employed' and crushing purchasing power by the largest amount on record.

Not surprisingly, most people feel poorer than in 2010.

HOLA4421

Despite heading for 15% of the vote, FPTP means that UKIP will end up with fewer than 5 MPs, maybe just 1 or 2. UKIP are essentially worthless as a coalition partner. Under proportional representation UKIP would be walking into Westminster on May 8th with 90-100 MPs.

Unlikely. Protest votes (both UKIP and Green) send a signal. A lot of those voters would think twice and back off if a result like that seemed plausible.

Of course, given UKIP's mendacious claim that most of our law comes from Brussels, surely they should be ignoring Westminster elections and concentrate their efforts on the European ones. At least, if they believed their own lies.

HOLA4422

Hah hah no, not at all. Every time I have migrated I have had to prove my ability to bring a net benefit to the country, that I had no health costs for the country I was going to, and that I could support my family completely from my own assets and income. At the end of my working period I had to leave or would be arrested and deported.

Does that sound anything like what you have in the UK for the past 20 years?

HOLA4423

I don't buy it. UKIP wont get 15-20% of the vote. I doubt they'll get even 10. Not because (yes, probably, in FPTP upwards of 25% would) people don't want to vote for them, but because UK voters are extr emely conservative in voting trends. If bliar couldnt drive labour voters away from the labour party, cameron won't drive even more conservative conservative voters away from the tories.

In england. tory 40%, labour 35%, UKIP 10%, LD 10%, Green, others 5% . My prediction.

They'll get a similar vote share to 2010. Possible labour-tory coalition, possible SNP- labour coalition. Despite what labour say.

HOLA4424

Unlikely. Protest votes (both UKIP and Green) send a signal. A lot of those voters would think twice and back off if a result like that seemed plausible.

On the other hand, there could be plenty of Lab/Lib Dem voters who would vote Green and Con/Lab voters who would vote UKIP if those parties had a chance of winning in their constituency.

I don't consider my impending Green vote a protest, I am simply registering my preference for their politicians and policies over those of the other parties. The fact that the electoral system is designed to ignore my vote is just a fact of life when you live in a country with a weak democracy.

HOLA4425

Why? Is it illogical for a woman who has had a child to abort another one?

Context is key. That women might have been in the right place to have one child, in a difficult place when the other was due.

Similarly immigration into the new world america was good. Vast untapped resources, no knowledge how to exploit those resources by the natives. In europe resources are exhausted and the land crowded.