House Price Crash Forum

Pushbike Thread

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Never tried them, or considered it really as an extra cost vs better tyres etc. 15% greater efficiency than toe clip/straps? I doubt that. Maybe over flat pedals, but I'd doubt that too because although they offer the opportunity for upwards pull that's just not how people cycle. Maybe more efficient in terms of muscle exercise benefit from consistent cadence and not slipping off though. But I'll happily stand corrected if that's proven wrong.

Maybe I am mixing up the 15% with slick tyres instead. They definitely make a huge difference.

Clip ins do make a difference - not sure how much compared to toe clips - but once you get used to them - you will never go back. Bloke told me this ages ago and I didn't really believe him - now ? I would lost without them !!

HOLA443

Maybe I am mixing up the 15% with slick tyres instead. They definitely make a huge difference.

Clip ins do make a difference - not sure how much compared to toe clips - but once you get used to them - you will never go back. Bloke told me this ages ago and I didn't really believe him - now ? I would lost without them !!

Agree with tyres. I use toe clips and straps so not sure about comparison with no clips at all.

One study seems to find no difference in efficiency, in oxygen consumption terms: http://opus.bath.ac.uk/6212/

HOLA444
HOLA445

Still, better to live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a sheep etc. Here's hoping Stem Cells sort him out, and in the meantime good luck with his handcycle endeavours, Alex Zanardi has done O.K.!

Tosh.

I'd much rather be pedalling sensibly now, and still pedalling sensibly when I get my telegram from ... well, it'll no longer be the Queen or the opinionated halfwit, so that'll be William by then ...

HOLA446

Agree with tyres. I use toe clips and straps so not sure about comparison with no clips at all.

One study seems to find no difference in efficiency, in oxygen consumption terms: http://opus.bath.ac.uk/6212/

Surprised by that - the study wasn't using clip ins though.

There must be a difference between nothing and clip ins - one means you can gain force in two directions rather than one !!

Actually that study is re. Oxygen consumption - not efficiency or power.

HOLA447

Surprised by that - the study wasn't using clip ins though.

There must be a difference between nothing and clip ins - one means you can gain force in two directions rather than one !!

Actually that study is re. Oxygen consumption - not efficiency or power.

Not necessarily. If the limiting factor for power output is the rate at which you can get oxygen to your muscles, rather than muscle strength, then any gains arising from upward force will be cancelled out by losses in downward force.

Edit: Not that I'm at all concerned about efficiency. The main factors for me are convenience and low maintenance needs.

HOLA448

Yikes, didn't know about the tragic accident with the Road Bike Party rider- here's a documentary on the sequel, think the accident happened around the same time as this production.

Re clipless pedals, not sure that study is particularly enlightening as ccc says. I've found the strappy pedals are good for keeping your foot secure on the pedal especially in the wet by comparison to flats but are well outclassed by clipless designs, especially in terms of efficient pedaling. It takes plenty of practice to keep your effort ~perpendicular to the cranks as they rotate, but practice soon improves it.

You might surprise yourself! Looking at a big chain online retailer (others are available..):

£15 for pedals (my wife uses the exact same) serviceable with a cheap socket, not that they'll need it for a good while:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CMXxj8PO-cACFVDItAod5woAtA&gclsrc=aw.ds

£28-30 men's shoes:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt33-mtb-spd-shoes/rp-prod55369

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/diadora-globe-mtb-shoes-2013/rp-prod55922

Ladies £38: (cheaper lines available in very limited size ranges from under £30).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-wm43-womens-mtb-shoe/rp-prod122114

Around £50 or maybe even less for shoes and pedals is a bargain imo.

HOLA449

Not necessarily. If the limiting factor for power output is the rate at which you can get oxygen to your muscles, rather than muscle strength, then any gains arising from upward force will be cancelled out by losses in downward force.

Edit: Not that I'm at all concerned about efficiency. The main factors for me are convenience and low maintenance needs.

Yes fair point re. The overall effort. I did a Google and many were talking about the benefits of keeping your feet in one place - def a bonus and saves on foot fatigue.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Tosh.

I'd much rather be pedalling sensibly now, and still pedalling sensibly when I get my telegram from ... well, it'll no longer be the Queen or the opinionated halfwit, so that'll be William by then ...

Agreed obviously fantastic to watch - but too often gravity catches up with you in a bad way in the end. So many of the my climbing friends have had various accidents, and even the one fatality.

Had a couple of bad crashes in my early days of mountain biking around 1990. Nothing broken thankfully - but a few scars, broken frame and concussion. Ride more sensibly nowadays - although the newer bikes definitely allow you to do the previously hard stuff more easily and quicker. When I moved back to North Wales after 20 years away I was surprised how tame previously scary stuff thanks to the mountain bike technology improvements in that time. Front suspension, more upright riding positions and disc brakes in particular have made a massive difference I reckon. That said, some of the newer trails look terrifying so happy to just bumble in the hills.

I only ride flat pedals myself. Shimano DX ones are really good. The last set lasted more than a decade of commuting, touring and mountain biking. I used to ride clipped - but they just kept getting mangled/proving to be an inconvenience commuting in London. Clipless just give me the fear -I do not want to be attached to my bike if I need to do an emergency bail out.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Archived